TopUp TV

kieranjones

Reaction score
I have a new JVC AV28X4 television which is connected to a Daewoo video recorder, a Cyberhome DVD player and a Nokia 9850 T digital set top box. My TV signal is supplied from two places, the telvision gets it's signal from the video player which gets it's signal from the NTL cable which although not supplying NTL services, does supply a perfect channel 5! The digital box get's it signal from a brand new aerial on the roof.

The digital box, the video recorder and the dvd player all connect separatly to the television via scart leads, and the video player also has an coaxial cable connecting it to the television.

I connected this all together this morning and installed it all and set the video player off on scanning for the channels and doing it's auto install routine. Now so far so good, it was all fine. In fact nothing went wrong as such, however when I came back I realised that the video player had not found it's normal 5 channels but had found no less than 20 channels! This came as quite a surprise to me, and upon closer inspection I found that the video player was somehow receiving Cartoon Network, Sky News and all sorts of other channels that I really shouldn't be able to get for free! Suspecting there to be something going on with my set top box I fired it up and looked for Cartoon Network and lo and behold it was there, however when viewed through the set top box I was informed that I would need to subscribe to view this channel from TopUp TV.

So basically for some reason, my video recorder gets a lot of channels that it shouldn't be getting that if viewed through the set top box are locked out. What is going on? Is this signal coming through the free view box or through the NTL cable? And should I really be getting them for free?

I'm not complaining, i mean free channels! I can finally watch Dexter's Lab! lol :p

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Some cable channels are not encrypted, simply transmitted at a VHF frequency, so if your video scans the lower frequency, it is possible that it has picked these up, I presume that the video is connected to the cable fed and not the aerial.

kieranjones

Reaction score
I have just had a look and it is hard to tell, there is an NTL aerial cable from the NTL wall socket (no longer supplying NTL just a good terrestrial signal) and a scart lead coming from the digital box which is supplied from a normal aerial on the roof.

Do they broadcast freeview and topup tv through the NTL network?

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
NTL do not as far as I know broadcast the Freeview multiplexes. Easy to check what is happening, disconnect the roof aerial and see if the channels are still there.