Toroidal T90 or Maximum T85 ?

Huevos

Satellite Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
57E to 58W, C-band and Ku, DVB-S2, 4:2:2 and blindscan.
My Location
38.5ºN, 0.5ºW
Fano said:
All this potential diy and modification/limitations of potential dishes is driving me towards the bloody T90 :)
Why is the T90 such a difficult choice? It works fine for a 30º spread.

Fano

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
T90 Dish and Smart 60cm Dish @28.2E
Receivers:Dm800s,Dm600s,Dm500s,
Ferguson Ariva 120,Opticum x403p,Tm 500.
Satlink 6906 meter
My Location
Ireland
Huevos said:
Why is the T90 such a difficult choice? It works fine for a 30º spread.
One word :Wife :)
I know she will go ballistic if I put it up on the wall .
I want the T90 but its a big and heavy dish and my back is fairly exposed .

I'm half tempted to buy it and put it up when she is out of the house,I've found that she is highly resistant to change at first but often comes round.

Huevos

Satellite Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
38.5ºN, 0.5ºW
Fano said:
One word :Wife :)
I know she will go ballistic if I put it up on the wall .
Too difficult for me to get my head around. I can't imagine having to ask my wife which satellite dish I'm allowed to put up.

Ghostleader

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm motorised Inverto dish with Dark Motor full metal gears, Xtrend 9500HD, Amiko Alien 2+, Amiko Alien 8900, Moded Zone 2 dish with multi LNB goodness! 50 inch full HD LCD and loads of other stuff! lol
My Location
Glasgow,ish!
Fano said:
Thanks Ghostleader,its single feeds from the vast majority of the lnbs and a quad for 28e.

All this potential diy and modification/limitations of potential dishes is driving me towards the bloody T90 :)

Just spec me want you want & I'll sort you out the correct number of holders & rail parts, What you thinking 16E focus, & then 13E,19E,28E & 7E & 1W on the other side?

LowNoiseBloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Force Frontier 90,2xEmp-Centauri P168(28.2,23.5,19.2,16,13,9,5E,5W)
Vu+Duo2 & Now TV, Amazon Fire TV & Droidbox X7,
Buffalo Linkstation,
Pace TDS850NB Sky+HD,
Ubuntu/Fedora servers,
Technisat AirStar/Freeview.
My Location
South Staffs. U.K.
If it's not too late can I add my views - I have a Force Frontier T90 for about 6 years now and my experience is that these dishes are not really suitable for wall mounting - too big, heavy and awkward for anywhere other than a patio or a flat roof. There are times when you really need to get behind the dish to adjust skew etc and aim lnbs. To my mind doing this off a ladder is just too risky - a scaffolding tower might be OK as long as the A-frame holding the dish to the side of the house holds firm in strong winds. Another point to consider is how many lnbs can you actually support on the receiver side ?. Diseqc switches that support the number of satellites mentioned in this thread are not generally available in the UK or Ireland - if they are would someone let me know where !. Finally dishes like the T90 work by making a linear approximation to the curved arc that the satellites sit in. Over small angles this is a very good approximation but it does break down at the extreme ends, so don't expect the same signal strength on all sats that you would get from a motorized dish following the arc exactly.

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
DiSEqC switches can be cascaded, so the limitations on Ports per device are not significant.

Huevos

Satellite Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
38.5ºN, 0.5ºW
LowNoiseBloke said:
I have a Force Frontier T90 for about 6 years now and my experience is that these dishes are not really suitable for wall mounting - too big, heavy and awkward for anywhere other than a patio or a flat roof.
Mine's wall mounted and it seems fine. The bracket is not overloaded and it's pretty easy to adjust.

LowNoiseBloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Buffalo Linkstation,
Pace TDS850NB Sky+HD,
Ubuntu/Fedora servers,
My Location
South Staffs. U.K.
@tivu : Are you saying for example 4 ordinary 4 port Diseqc switches can be connected through a fifth diseqc switch to allow 16 lnbs to feed into one receiver ?. This is great news if it is so - I always thought a combination of committed/uncommited switches such as those made by Spaun or EMP-Centauri was needed. As far as I know these are not easily obtainable in the UK.

@huevos : well done, you've obviously got a better sense of balance than I have.

Huevos

Satellite Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
38.5ºN, 0.5ºW
LowNoiseBloke said:
@tivu : Are you saying for example 4 ordinary 4 port Diseqc switches can be connected through a fifth diseqc switch to allow 16 lnbs to feed into one receiver ?. This is great news if it is so - I always thought a combination of committed/uncommited switches such as those made by Spaun or EMP-Centauri was needed. As far as I know these are not easily obtainable in the UK.
You can't cascade committed switches.

LowNoiseBloke said:
@huevos : well done, you've obviously got a better sense of balance than I have.
Not really. My T90 is wall mounted at ground level.

Fano

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Satlink 6906 meter
My Location
Ireland
LowNoiseBloke said:
If it's not too late can I add my views - I have a Force Frontier T90 for about 6 years now and my experience is that these dishes are not really suitable for wall mounting - too big, heavy and awkward for anywhere other than a patio or a flat roof.
Not too late at all,the more advice the better,its giving me an excellent picture of my options.
Not really. My T90 is wall mounted at ground level.
If I wall mount the T90 ,the base of it will be about 8 feet off the ground which isnt too high I hope.
I have a 2 storey house .
I think working off a ladder at that height should be ok but I'm worried abouth the wind load on the dish.
The bottom of the garden is still a runner ,although the cable would have to be run under the lawn for 25 yards.
It would be mounted at ground level so no worries of falling off a ladder.
Just spec me want you want & I'll sort you out the correct number of holders & rail parts, What you thinking 16E focus, & then 13E,19E,28E & 7E & 1W on the other side?
Thanks Ghostleader,I appreciate the offer.
I'm thinking of getting 2 of these brackets and welding them together if I go for Gibertini.
bar.jpg
Would allow good lnb alignment although not sure if 3 degree seperation is feasible.
Those other Gibertini brackets are all poorly designed ,no slope on them which is pretty pointless.

Getting itchy feet now ,I want to get something up but dont want to rush it .

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
TM6800HD, TM1000, TM600 Linux,TM2200 motor, Channel Master 1.2m motorised, TD110 dish Meter=Satlook Micro+G2 NIT
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
LowNoiseBloke said:

16 way diseqc switches are easy to obtain in the UK, SatEuropa sells them.

The T90, because of the position of the LNBs should actually be easier than a standard dish to adjust the LNBs, because you dont have to lean out.

Huevos

Satellite Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
38.5ºN, 0.5ºW
Fano said:
I'm thinking of getting 2 of these brackets and welding them together if I go for Gibertini.
They are aluminium so if you want to weld them you're going to need a TIG. Or if you want a lot less aggravation just buy a 1 metre length of 10mm diameter aluminium tube or bar out of any DIY shop for about a fiver.

Fano

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Satlink 6906 meter
My Location
Ireland
Huevos said:
They are aluminium so if you want to weld them you're going to need a TIG. Or if you want a lot less aggravation just buy a 1 metre length of 10mm diameter aluminium tube or bar out of any DIY shop for about a fiver.
Cheers Huevos,a buddy of mine is a metal fabricator and welder ,I'll bounce it off him,he might be able to make something up.

RimaNTSS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Some SAT-related hardware.
My Location
N-E from Riga
Fano said:
a buddy of mine is a metal fabricator and welder
If so, ask him to make holders out of INOX. That pipe-clamp made in UK, so sould be easy to purchase.

Attachments

• INOXholder.JPG
    INOXholder.JPG
    25 KB · Views: 129

LowNoiseBloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Buffalo Linkstation,
Pace TDS850NB Sky+HD,
Ubuntu/Fedora servers,
My Location
South Staffs. U.K.
@Robbo : thanks for the pointer to Sateuropa - must admit I haven't looked too hard recently for these diseqc switches.

As for the T90 install I still think it's easier and safer if you can do it with both feet on the ground. I've read of people doing a complete setup on the ground and then hoisting the rig onto the mounting pole and then only having to adjust the direction that the dish points.

Huevos

Satellite Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
38.5ºN, 0.5ºW
LowNoiseBloke said:
I've read of people doing a complete setup on the ground and then hoisting the rig onto the mounting pole and then only having to adjust the direction that the dish points.
That's what Wave Frontier recommends.

Fano

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Satlink 6906 meter
My Location
Ireland
Huevos said:
Is 3 degree spacing possible with those holders ?

Huevos

Satellite Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
38.5ºN, 0.5ºW
Fano said:
Is 3 degree spacing possible with those holders ?
Yes. In the picture left to right: 13ºE, 10ºE, 9ºE, 7ºE, 4.8ºE.

Attachments

• Multi-Connects.jpg
    Multi-Connects.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 285

Fano

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Satlink 6906 meter
My Location
Ireland
Just to update this thread,I have bought the T90 dish and I am currently installing it on a pole at the bottom of the garden .
I will keep ye posted .