toshiba projection screen not !

muso58

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
grundig gds3000 toshiba 50vj33
My Location
spain
hi guys ,
dont know if you can help .i'm trying to work out why my 50vj33 tv has stopped working .
as luck would have it just as the 2yr guarantee runs out .i live i n spain and the only tv repair man i have near .cant do it as it wont fit in his workshop !
I am ok with basic electronics ,good at soldering components ( i decode car radios so i am into desoldering eeproms etc .plus i can check basocs like diodes & caps etc .
I am hoping maybe this is a common problem on these sets and that someone may have the answer.
i came in from work one nite & the wife had fell asleep with the tv on . I noticed when i walked in that it was off & the led on front was flashing ( it never did that before & has,nt since)
I switched it off and back on & removed mainss from wall for 5mins etc & later over nite ,but still no joy .it seemed to have intermittent sound at first ,but all it does now is powers up . there is a low buzz coming from the ps board .I have checked the main capacitor as was suggested on another site & it is giving out 295v .
this is all i have been able to do so far .i also tried to check the doide blocks ,and i think they are ok . a chopper transistor was mentioned also ,but i can find that to check .I checked the 7v & 11v outputs ,at the connection to the next board & they arent accurate ,the 7v was showing up as 10.5 v and the 11v was showing at more like 12v
I have the wiring diagram that came with the set if it is any help .
i think my next step is going to be the toshiba agent ,then next stop probably the bin ,when i get their quote :)
any suggestions greatly appreciated Steve

BarMoo

Post Meister
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
2xPace 430N, 1xNokia MM9800, 1xNokia 80cm Sat Dish, 1xGibertini 120cm, Big Fat Furry Puss
My Location
Berlin, Germany.
If you have the engineers manual - it should give you guidance on the STNBY flashes and what they mean. Most new sets employ I2C (that internal maintanence thing from Philips). Flashes indicate the area at fault - usually.

If you think its the PSU - worst thing you can do is order a new one direct from Toshiba Spares.