Total noob, completely overwhemled, need help

SilvaRizla

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No satellite set up as of yet
My Location
North England
Hi there,

I'm currently thinking of getting into satellite after leaving Virgin Media, for the price of Sky I don't really think its worth it and we already have freeview.

I'm having some trouble getting my head around all this.

From what I understand, you get a dish and point it at one spot in the sky and receive one bunch of channels, move the dish and get some more. The bigger the dish, the more channels you get and if you want 3PM EPL games you need a tring card?

I need to know what equipment will meet my ideal requirements, or what the options are. I don't like the idea of going outside 3 or 4 times a day faffing with the dish so a motorized setup is a must

Ideally, I'd like as many UK channels (in HD where available) as is possible as well as the greatest amount of foreign channels that show mostly english programs and movies. In the future I would like to be able to purchase various cards to receive 3pm footy and something for when the kids are in bed ;)

What would be a good setup for a beginner considering for the future?

Many thanks

Mickha

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.2M Channel Master, 1224 motor, VU+ Duo 2
My Location
North West
I always advise members to start off by working out where they will need to site the dish, to get the most satellites, this helps determine what suits your needs best.
First find out rougly where South is located, you can do this by using the position of a Sky dish. Sky dishes point at 28.2E, that's 28.2 degrees East of South, so by moving 28.2 degrees West you can roughly find South, do this by standing behind the dish, facing the same direction the dish is pointing, then rotate 28.2 degrees to your right.
The easiest install is probably to have the dish on a pole in your garden, it not only makes installation easier but also maintenance, but this is only possible if you have an open, South facing, garden.
You are allowed upto a 1 Metre dish, before requiring planning permission, but check for any local differences. The bigger the dish the better, for getting the most satellites and especially feeds.

SilvaRizla

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
North England
@Topper, I have tried but I don't have the terminology tbh. I get about 2 sentences into any kind of question or answer and am completely lost.

@Mickha Thanks for the information, as luck would have it.... I have an open south facing garden :)

Is a 1m dish suitably sized for someone who doesn't know what they're doing? Will I get plenty of HD channels on it? What sort of box will I need?

Mickha

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
North West
I suggest you start with the dish, as many of us have different receivers but usually keep the same dish.
Installing a motorized dish is quite easy, especially for a ground mounted system, and with a motorized 1 Metre dish you will have access to a lot of satellites, and channels.
Have a good browse through the members pictures section, it might give you an idea of what you want:
Picture of Members' Setups and general satellite installations

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
SilvaRizla said:
@Topper, I have tried but I don't have the terminology tbh. I get about 2 sentences into any kind of question or answer and am completely lost.

@Mickha Thanks for the information, as luck would have it.... I have an open south facing garden :)

Is a 1m dish suitably sized for someone who doesn't know what they're doing? Will I get plenty of HD channels on it? What sort of box will I need?

As for HD Channels, you need a DVB S2 box for optimum flexibility.

However, although there are a handful of HD Channels available Free (mainly at 28E and 19E), most are Subscription Channels.

So you need to narrow down your interests unless you want to pay for every receivable Package!

HD Channel listings here _http://en.kingofsat.net/hdtv.php?&standard=All&ordre=freq&filtre=Clear

SilvaRizla

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
North England
Thanks so much for your help, I've been having a look through and had a poke around ebay, there seems to be a lot of Fortec Star dishes, are these ok?

It seems quite difficult to find do's and don'ts when looking for equipment so I'm not sure which products are a safe bet

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
No particular reason not to buy the smaller Fortec Star dishes, but DO NOT buy large ones. They fold like paper in inclement weather.

SilvaRizla

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
North England
Is a 1m dish considered small?

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Middling!

It's the Prime Focus ones you need to be wary of.

But if you are going for around 1m, the Gibertini 1.04m is the weapon of choice.

SilvaRizla

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
North England
I'll have a mooch, see if I can find one thanks.

A couple of potential physical problems have arisen, my garden wall is pretty much on the 28.2E line and a whopping great tree at the bottom of my neighbours garden stands between my dish site and Hotbird, will this be a problem?

I've been considering this pack on ebay: _http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1m-TECHNOMATE-DISH-PACK-550mm-MOUNT-CABLE-MOTOR-0-1-LNB-/390134978515?pt=UK_ConEle_SatCableFreeview_RL&hash=item5ad5db57d3 with maybe a Fortec Passion+ HD here: _http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Passion-HD-Satellite-Receiver-/290474323154?pt=UK_ConEle_SatCableFreeview_RL&hash=item43a19e6cd2

Whilst doing my research I've come across a couple of good pages which might be helpful to others reading this thread

_www.dishpointer.com
_www.satellitesuperstore.com/advice-page-1.htm

[nolink]Admin[/nolink]

Mickha

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
North West

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Much better to use T&K brackets than the one supplied with that kit.

The one supplied is not going to provide enough rigidity for a Motorised 1M dish and will lead to problems with reception and tracking in poor weather.

SilvaRizla

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
North England
Ah, I didn't know you had a dish pointer!

Yes that tree will be a problem :(

Oh well, they go on holiday alot ;) lol

Any advice on that ebay listing?

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
SilvaRizla said:
Any advice on that ebay listing?

See preceding Post ..............

SilvaRizla

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
North England
T&K brackets?

I wasn't planning to wall mount it (I should have explained). I know a metal fabricator who can make me a near indestructible ground stand.

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Ah, that info certainly would have helped!

In which case, why go for a kit that has a redundant mount as opposed to buying all the essential bits separately?

SilvaRizla

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
North England
I assumed it'd be cheaper as part of a kit, and also I don't know anything about LNR's so being part of as kit I know everything would work together. I'll do some independent pricing....

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
You may have a point about pricing.

Still worth investing a little more time in checking prices, though.

Sandybob

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.2 Channel Master and polar mount, 1.2 Gibertini, 1m Orbital, SG2100A, tm-5400, tm-600 linux, manhattan xt-cm, v-box III, and lots of other stuff in the attic!
My Location
uk
Hi, I dont like suggesting things for other people to buy, but if you really not sure I would consider;
1m Gibertini or 1m Orbital dish (£60-£70)
Moteck SG2100A diseq motor (£40-£44)
Inverto black line ultra lnb (about £16)
Webro WF100 cable + 4 F-plugs
Reciever - totally your choice, although you could consider a cheap, easy to use, and setup s/h box on that well known auction site like a technomate 1000 or 5000 series. Although NOT a HD box they will give you an idea of what is available in sd and are some of the easist boxes to setup and use, until you suss it all out and decide which HD box to go for.
Thats just my 2p