Trekkies to boldly go bonkers over memorabilia

RCP

Reaction score
Website
www.the2012londonolympics.com
My Satellite Setup
Sky+ sky dish, Sony DVD recorder, Panasonic Combi VHS/DVD recorder, Panasonic 42" LCD TV
My Location
UK
The people who love Star Trek really love Star Trek. So quite how those fans will respond to the excitement of a sale of all things Trekkie - treasures gathered from the five television series and 10 feature films dedicated to the good folk of the United Federation of Planets - is unclear. It is possible if not likely, that some will go a little bit bonkers.

A jewel box of props, uniforms and other memorabilia including a pair of Vulcan pointy rubber ears, is currently being catalogued and photographed in New York in preparation for an auction by Christie's in the autumn.

Among the items for sale are a green laptop-style computer that was used by Captain Kathryn Janeway in the sixth franchise of the series known as Star Trek: Voyager and which was shown between 1995 and 2001. It is estimated that it will fetch between $1,500 (£800) and $2,500. Also for sale is a shirt bearing the logo "Go Climb a Rock" that was worn by William Shatner's seminal character Captain James Kirk in the fifth Star Trek film, the 1989 offering Final Frontier. A blue spacesuit worn by Shatner in the 1984 film The Search for Spock, is also being offered.

Christie's officials believe one of the most sought-after items will be a replica of Captain Kirk's chair on the bridge of the Enterprise that appeared in the first of the series, written by Gene Rodenberry.

"I think it was so different than anything else that was on," Cathy Elkies, the official overseeing the sale, told The New York Times. "Remember, we had five channels back then, so we weren't inundated with programming the way we are now. It was so original, it was so different, it was gripping, there was always something that hooked you in - and Captain Kirk was very cute."

Despite her fondness for the show, Ms Elkies was not a hardcore fan of Star Trek before she started work on the sale. She was among Christie's officials who exhibited the collection in Germany earlier this year. She said: "The funny part was, I couldn't always tell if it was German or Klingon that they were speaking."

The items have been held in storage in Hollywood by Paramount Studios, some since the original 1960s series went off the air. It was the decision last year to cancel the planned "prequel" Star Trek: Enterprise that led Paramount to sell off these props. Previously only a handful of such items have been sold.

For British Trekkies, the collection will be on display at Christie's headquarters in London from 3 to 8 August. A limited-edition version of the catalogue will be available for an out-of-this-world price of $500.

Source
By Andrew Buncombe in Washington
independent.co.uk

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No satellite stuff for the moment (aside from a 43cm minidish that was on the house already), Samsung SyncMaster T27B550 Smart TV & Monitor, and a few computers...
My Location
Near Pontop Pike, Co. Durham
$500 for a catalogue??? Set your faces to stun!!!!! :eek:

I'd love to go and buy some proper trek props (as opposed to making my own LCARS displays, buying "prop kits" or just pretending :D ), but I think that they'll end up out of my price range... :-doh!

spiney

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Pace 2200 Sky digibox with ftv card, Comag SL65 FTA sat receiver, 40cm Sky minidish, Setpal terrestrial receiver (for free uk tv only!).
My Location
Midlands
Meanwhile, this afternoon BBC2 showed 1st episodes of Star trek (the Cage) and Next Generation (farpoint), which I both missed dammit. Hopefully, not just a one-off, and they'll be showing the whole lot ........

Lancelot

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
SS1.
125cm Gibbi with Channelmaster feedhorn and Inverto C120 twin.
36v H to H 62E - 61.5W
My Location
South central
as opposed to making my own

Never come across anyone who made their own StarTrek props before. :confused

How very 'individual' :D

L.:)

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No satellite stuff for the moment (aside from a 43cm minidish that was on the house already), Samsung SyncMaster T27B550 Smart TV & Monitor, and a few computers...
My Location

T_G

The Consumate Dreamer
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1 GigaBlue Quad plus, 1 Dreambox 5620, MOTECK SG2100A DISEqC Motor, 120 cm noname offset dish, Humax 95 cm offset dish and a few UK digiboxes.
My Location
Somewhere where the Sauer is Kraut and the Wurst is Brat
Anyone buying those pointy ears is acting illogically. Interesting....

spiney

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Pace 2200 Sky digibox with ftv card, Comag SL65 FTA sat receiver, 40cm Sky minidish, Setpal terrestrial receiver (for free uk tv only!).
My Location
Midlands
At least it's physically possible ........ would be a lot more difficult to re-decorate as a Tardis!

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
spiney said:
At least it's physically possible ........ would be a lot more difficult to re-decorate as a Tardis!

Aww, you've just dissapointed a lot of young kids!!!! :-rofl2