TV sockets with resistors - what for?

Artist 2004

Anatolia correspondent
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
GoldMaster 7400 CIM 2MB with Kaon board 12.03.a5. Technomate 1000, Technomate 5200 USB.
Two 80cm offset dishes.
My Location
West coast, Turkey
I've just moved houses and the TV sockets have some resistance built in, which blocks the signal from my LNB to the receiver. 20 dB is stamped on them. My last house had the same. I ended up ******* the sockets about to cut out the resistor and make a direct connection from cable to centre socket PIN. Can someone enlighten me, please?

I see the word h a c k i n g got starred out LOL

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Are these conventional TV UHF outlet plates? If so, you are better to replace them with IF outlet plates.

PS. yes, certain words are censored, as our site is so well indexed by some of the search engines, we don't want top make a rod for our own back.

Artist 2004

Anatolia correspondent
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
GoldMaster 7400 CIM 2MB with Kaon board 12.03.a5. Technomate 1000, Technomate 5200 USB.
Two 80cm offset dishes.
My Location
West coast, Turkey
Thanks, Rolfw. The sockets are the UHF type that have been used in homes for donkey's years. I think I've answered my own question; from a google search:

Quote:
Check that there is a direct connection between the digibox and the TV Link with no other parts in line, for example, isolated wall plates or a distribution amplifier. If there are wall plates, check they are non-isolating. If necessary, replace with non-isolating wall plates.

So I suppose that I've got isolating wall plates and need to replace them with non-isolating ones. So I'll take your advice and install the IF type (for F-connectors, right?)

Cheers.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Yes, they also maintain a great electrical connection. :)