Twin Tuner HD PVR required - any recommendations?

steford

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
ZGemma H.S
My Location
W13
Was thinking about getting a new TV and went and ordered a bluray player this week. So it means a major change in all my other equipment. Currently have a Topfield TF400PVR Plus which is fine and does what I need - sits there recording Japanese programmes for my wife from the fixed dish at 13E and lets me use the motorised for football. Ideally I'd like to replace this with something that upscales the relatively poor Japanese stuff and SD football well and outputs decent HD for football when available. Whilst the current Toppy has its quirks I like the fact that it records the stream rather than decoded output so even if there'sa card/CAM clash it can be viewed later with the CAM in.

Any thoughts on a decent replacement? I would consider 2 boxes if it worked out better/cheaper - only 1 (for the Japanese stuff) needs to be a PVR.

Thanks.

jphili

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Twin monoblock and twin LNB on 80cm transparant dish rigged for twin reception from HB Astra 1 and 2 + TopField TF 7700 HDPVR + TwinHan VisionDTV
My Location
BE
Just hope the QBox HD firmware quality is better than the TF77x0 HDPVR initial qualtiy. The 77x0s firmware is slowly getting there, but it is still far from perfect, which makes me a little reluctant to recommend it.

HB13DISH

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Middle East - Israel
jphili said:
Just hope the QBox HD firmware quality is better than the TF77x0 HDPVR initial qualtiy. The 77x0s firmware is slowly getting there, but it is still far from perfect, which makes me a little reluctant to recommend it.

Let's see T_G's impressions when he gets the box. :)

steford

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
ZGemma H.S
My Location
W13
Know what you mean re the Topfield firmware - the TF4000PVR+ is a nice box but the interface is a little clunky and there are a couple of annoying bugs although for ease of use and solid recording it's very good. Was hoping that the 7710 would be at least as good with more frequent fw updates (although I see the 4000 had an update on 9th Dec which I missed).

It would probably make more sense to split out to 2 boxes - an HD PVR for the wife and then an HD hobby box for myself (only really watch football). I just like the simplicity and no fuss of the 1 box Topfield solution.

bmb1425

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
window xp
My Location
ksa
buy cuberevo

Visit _http://www.pulsat.com/

steford

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
ZGemma H.S
My Location
W13
Dragging this one up again. I bought the Topfield and whilst it's an excellent receiver the recent firmware upgrade hasn't fixed the main problem that affects me (frozen recordings) so am looking, again, for alternate solutions. With the rapidly disappearing channel list on the Diablo CAM it may be time to take the plunge for something that can do C/S meaning a Linux box. Is there a reliable twin tuner HD PVR box out there? SD recording on 2nd tuner is the main purpose of the box from standby and whilst viewing HD/SD content on motorised tuner 1. I would still consider separate boxes - a solid single tuner SD PVR and a solid single tuner HD PVR would do although the card I'd have to offer as a share would be in the SD box meaning something Linux there also I would think.

Thanks for any help.

tmccourt

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
you might look at the dreambox 8000, but it is expensive.
I have the dm800 which I am very happy with.

steford

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
ZGemma H.S
My Location
W13
The DM8000 is too expensive - I'd say max £450 before I'd just get 2 separate boxes for less. Thanks though.