Two way satellite

K

knorrish

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 12-Aug-01 AT 07:56 AM (GMT)[/font][p]for persons missing starspeeder try this new two way satellite connection.
no phone lines ,no isp,always on.works from two lnb on the satellite dish, one lnb transmits and one lnb receives.the web page is: http://satellite.tiscali.com/what_need.html
regards
knorrish

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
I feel that it will be too rich for most people's blood Knorrish, http://satellite.tiscali.com/howmuch.html. I have checked out the equipment cost and installation charges for similar systems and they start at about £500 for the package, monthly charge will probably be around £100.

All this for a service that a lot of the time will only be the same speed as dual ISDN. I guess that it may appeal to those out in the backwoods though, where there is no ISDN option.

Rolf

BarMoo

Post Meister
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
2xPace 430N, 1xNokia MM9800, 1xNokia 80cm Sat Dish, 1xGibertini 120cm, Big Fat Furry Puss
My Location
Berlin, Germany.
I was reading an article from the Guardian - yesterday - on VSAT. It appears that BTOpenworld will be offering the measily 512kps download and 153kps upload speeds. Why ? Mind you, BT's ADSL spec sucks too - much slower than that of Deutscher Telekom's.

Back on topic.

Just to back other replies, there are a number of other providers, Aramiska being one, that will offer speeds 16 times faster than BT (upload of 1.5mbps, download 8mbps).

As for prices, if its any comfort, the latest one to be knocked-around in the article was GBP 350 to install, GBP 100 per month for unlimited use.

Overall, I felt that if I was able to install myself (avoiding the best part of the installation charge), have free movement between providers (currently none of the hardware, save dish, is compatible with any other provider's service), and perhaps paid for what I used (as opposed to what I don't)- then this is a wonderful development !

Have Fun,

Mark.

Read the article, in full, on the Guardians website. The best english newspaper site from the UK.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/online/story/0,3605,533842,00.html

K

knorrish

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 13-Aug-01 AT 09:39 AM (GMT)[/font][p][font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 13-Aug-01 AT 09:36 AM (GMT)[/font]

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 13-Aug-01 AT 09:34 AM (GMT)[/font]

When i rang Tiscali on 0207 4227 339 and spoke to Nick Hada he said that they were intending to run a 3 month free trial priod starting in Sept , the only cost,s incurred were that one had to pay £200 for the installation of the dish and only by register installers and and the use of the skyblaster 360 would be lent free during the three month trial period, if you signed up after the trial period the modem would cost about £360 and the monthly subsciption about £50 per month.
there was a scheme to pay for the modem on a monthly basis.
BT are starting a similar system in Northern Ireland and Scotland in november and the providers are the same company." Gillat" of israel.
regards
knorrish

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 13-Aug-01 AT 08:13 PM (GMT)[/font][p]That doesn't sound like a bad scheme Knorrish, I would be a bit miffed about the installation fee, but then that's what I do for a living (meagre though it may be). Otherwise if you're prepared to possibly lose £200, then take a gamble, Tiscali should know what they're doing.

Rolf

PS Satnode on 19.2 are offering a 5 day trial on their one way service, all you have to do is E-mail them your MAC number from the PC card and Robert's your mothers brother.

fxr@satconxion.com