Type of dish mounting question

malcom123

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised system. Samsung reciever. Sky HD
My Location
Birminham west midlands
At present I have an 80cm motorised dish pole mounted....Unsightly beast......Near to me I have noticed a motorised set up looks to be about 85cm and its not mounted on a pole. Much neater looking job.

Is there a technical name to describe a mounting not using a pole!!!!!!! Does such a mounting depend on ones location!!!!!

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
A couple of pics might help us ...........

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Northants, Midlands UK & Lanzarote, Canary Islands
Yes, would depend on positioning required for reception - Wall mount or pole mount. Look forward to the pictures.

malcom123

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Birminham west midlands
Can take some pics (have to be tomorrow) but my next question and am sorry for the inexperience but how do i post pictures on a thread.......

malcom123

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Birminham west midlands
satelliteman said:

Thank's. Something new to try.

In the mean time I have been phoning an installer and I think I need to make myself clearer when I say pole mounted. The installer thought I meant pole concreted into ground.

To clarify dish is mounted on a pole that is fitted to the wall by two brackets. So it is pole wall mounted......

Installer thinks if that's the way the original installer did it then its because of my location and requirement for the dish to to clear the wall.

Another potential cost for me is if a pole could be disposed of I would have to pay to have my SKY sat dish relocated because Sky installed it on the lower end of the pole.....

Don't know if this is the correct forum for cost discussion but all the installer could say without seeing the site was that they charge labour of £51 for the first hour followed by £38 for each hour after that.....Plus cost of parts which is up to me to supply or if I brand name the parts he would try and supply dpecifics if possible.....

He seemed to prefer me obtain the dish LNB and motor......He could not give me an estimate of a typical installation 1 hour 2 hour or whatever......for labour costs........I feel vunerable because I am no expert to know how long a typical installation should take.......

malcom123

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Birminham west midlands
satelliteman said:
Yes, would depend on positioning required for reception - Wall mount or pole mount. Look forward to the pictures.

As requested as you can see my Sky dish is also attached to the pole. Doesn't look as ugly as I thought.......

Attachments

• DSC_0053.JPG
    DSC_0053.JPG
    454.9 KB · Views: 70
  • DSC_0054.JPG
    DSC_0054.JPG
    419.5 KB · Views: 61

malcom123

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Birminham west midlands
Motorized system installed about 15 years ago. Dish stuck about 4 years ago have not used until recently. Surprisingly or not the LNB has not been changed and seems to be just fine connected to my now 10 year old Samsung reciever.

On the other hand I have had about 3 LNB changes to my Sky system over the years......Not to count the reciever changes from analogue..to Digital recievers two fails and HD recievers Thompson HD on its way out replaced with new terabox........

When choosing an installer I also have to consider possible maintenance that may arise....An installer from afar would potentially be more expensive to call out than a local one.......

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
TM6800HD, TM1000, TM600 Linux,TM2200 motor, Channel Master 1.2m motorised, TD110 dish Meter=Satlook Micro+G2 NIT
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
The motorised dish needs to be pole mounted as you wouldn't get past 28E otherwise as the dish would hit the wall.

The unsightliness of your current set up isn't helped by all the rust that is evident on the bracketry. Don't know if that is caused by lack of galvanisation or age of installation.

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Looks like painted bracketry. Can't quite see the motor from that shot.

malcom123

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Birminham west midlands
satelliteman said:
Looks like painted bracketry. Can't quite see the motor from that shot.

Is this one better for motor view

Attachments

• DSC_0056.JPG
    DSC_0056.JPG
    367.6 KB · Views: 50

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
I would have used 12" T&K brackets and sited the motor and dish above the roof line.

wod

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1m channel master, jaeger smr1224, Inverto black ultra twin, technomate tm-1500ci, broken receiver vantage x221ci, New additions Skybox F5s and technomate tm-5402 HD arriving soon.
My Location
yorkshire
yeah I thought the brackets looked rather large, 18inch they look like.

malcom, what dish do you think of putting up there ? The current motor is it 36volt as up that high ?

malcom123

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Birminham west midlands
wod said:
yeah I thought the brackets looked rather large, 18inch they look like.

malcom, what dish do you think of putting up there ? The current motor is it 36volt as up that high ?

Hi. I am planning I think on another 80cm - 85cm toying with the idea of bigger up 100cm.......As for voltage I honestly don't know its been up 16 years and used to be operated by a seperate positioner. Tried the positioner a few years ago and dish would not move. The system has been unused for quite a while...........Motor not suitable for modern DISqC recievers.....

wod

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1m channel master, jaeger smr1224, Inverto black ultra twin, technomate tm-1500ci, broken receiver vantage x221ci, New additions Skybox F5s and technomate tm-5402 HD arriving soon.
My Location
yorkshire
malcom123 said:
Hi. I am planning I think on another 80cm - 85cm toying with the idea of bigger up 100cm.......As for voltage I honestly don't know its been up 16 years and used to be operated by a seperate positioner. Tried the positioner a few years ago and dish would not move. The system has been unused for quite a while...........Motor not suitable for modern DISqC recievers.....

sounds like 36volt then as you have the cabling there you could opt for a 36volt motor and use a vbox which would interface with modern receivers

a light weight dish like gibertini 90cm or 1m with inverto black ultra lnb maybe ?

is the dish above a balcony as the pics look close up.

malcom123

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Birminham west midlands
wod said:
sounds like 36volt then as you have the cabling there you could opt for a 36volt motor and use a vbox which would interface with modern receivers

a light weight dish like gibertini 90cm or 1m with inverto black ultra lnb maybe ?

is the dish above a balcony as the pics look close up.

Thank's. I used telephoto lens. The house I live in also has a flat roof not that I would mount a dish on it.

Hatchet

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM800
My Location
Glasgow
-http://i51.tinypic.com/2506nev.jpg

]A friend of mine sent me this picture of his install...

Only gets 13, 19.2 and 28.2 right enough, but its neat.

wod

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
yorkshire
malcom123 said:
Thank's. I used telephoto lens. The house I live in also has a flat roof not that I would mount a dish on it.

you could but you would need to get the mount up there and the paving stones to hold it down.

malcom123

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Birminham west midlands
wod said:
you could but you would need to get the mount up there and the paving stones to hold it down.

Indeed but my flat roof has not been resurfaced for donky's years and may be rather fragile to stomping around on.........So.....It's a no go area in case a can of worms are opened..:)

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
malcom123 said:
Tried the positioner a few years ago and dish would not move. The system has been unused for quite a while...........Motor not suitable for modern DISqC recievers.....

Probably a reed sensor or seized motor.

If exposed and going for a 1m, the Gibby on a polar mount would suit very nicely. I used to have one up at home.

Attachments

• gib.jpg
    gib.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 40