U.s Tv Stations

stevienire

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 1000D + Moteck SG2100a + 85CM Dish
My Location
Northern Ireland
I live in the most western part of Ireland. And was wondering if it would be possible to pick up any channels from DirectTV or Dish Network??

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Only if youy move 3000 miles westwards.

stevienire

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 1000D + Moteck SG2100a + 85CM Dish
My Location
Northern Ireland
Could I pick up anything from the U.S if I had a 3m dish? I have a clear view straight across the atlantic.

J

Jeff_19341

Regretfully, for you, no! Read Analoguesats Post. You could pick up Cubavision on 58*west, that's over USA way.

BadWithComputer

The Local Drunkard
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
30MB ADSL ONO, Spain
32" Internet connected TV
Many Satellite Dishes.
Humax HD Freesat Box
My Location
Spain
Can i pick up any american networks like FOX of ABC here in spain? I would also like to watch good morning america (Just out of interest) anyone have ideas?

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Sigh

How many times do we have to go through this? The birds carrying the services are either below the western horizon in Europe, or are firing beams into continental USA.

The only American channels available direct to Europe are a couple of dozen mainly religious services transmitting in the Farsi language for the Iranian market.

There are a couple of part time feeds on obscure satellites (CBS on 16E for starters). These DO NOT run 24/7 and seem to be only active overnight.

If you want direct Yankee TV services 24/7, then move there.

Likvid

ASBO Club Member - Persona non grata
Reaction score
My Location
Stockholm, Sweden
Join the U.S Army and do your duty in Iraq, as a present you get access to the full package of AFN channels from USA.

Only way sorry, or pack your bag and move to the garbage bin.

Hitchcock

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
stevienire said:
I live in the most western part of Ireland. And was wondering if it would be possible to pick up any channels from DirectTV or Dish Network??

AlexBellisBrown said:
Can i pick up any american networks like FOX of ABC here in spain? I would also like to watch good morning america (Just out of interest) anyone have ideas?

In Ireland (and Spain), there are — strictly speaking — two American satellites above the horizon (i.e. you can point your dish at them in the sky), both of which carry the U.S. networks: Echostar 3 at 61.5°W (carries all the networks except NBC and FOX) and DirecTV 1 at 72.5°W (carries all 7 networks).

Both these satellites, HOWEVER, have "footprints" which are solely focused on North America and so anyone able to point their dishes at these satellites across the Atlantic in Europe will still have a problem, because he or she is "out of footprint"; in fact, way out of footprint!

Having said that, this doesn't mean that it is still not theoretically possible to pick up the signals from those satellites, but it would require a VERY BIG dish, meaning probably anywhere in the range of, say, 10 to 50 meters in diameter, could even be bigger than that (or it could be smaller!). No one knows yet, or at least I don't know yet. It would be really interesting to know just how big a dish was needed in, say, Ireland (or Spain/Portugal) or at least to know if it was possible with a < 10 m dish (It has been reported that Echostar 3 has been received in Iceland [with a 5 or 6 m dish?], and in Tenerife (Canary Islands) with a 2.4 m dish, both places nowhere near the "official" footprint.).

stevienire said:
Could I pick up anything from the U.S if I had a 3m dish? I have a clear view straight across the atlantic.

In that case, then you are most likely able to point your dish at another satellite, Nimiq 2 at 82°W, as well (it's just above the horizon). If U.S. TV is what you're after, then this satellite is perhaps the most interesting proposition. It's a Canadian satellite and it has all 4 major U.S. networks on board — in High Definition! (It also carries Discovery and NFL Sunday Ticket – again, both in HD!)

However, as with the other two satellites, you are still way out of footprint! But since this satellite is further west, it looks down onto its target – i.e. the continental U.S. (and Canada) – at a different angle than its neighbour satellites to the east, such as Echostar 3, which means that if both satellites have similar footprints, then the one which is further west is more likely to spill over to the east, i.e. towards Europe, or at least that is how I see it somehow. :-shifty So, again, I think it would be interesting to see just how big a dish were needed to catch this bird as well as all the other CONUS birds to the east of it.

Also, it seems, the "unthinkable" HAS been achieved in some places: there is some guy in Brazil (according to TSI amongst others) who watches ASTRA 1!!! If you have a look at the footprint for Astra 1 (19.2°E), and then have a look at the earth exactly as it looks like from the satellite in orbit, you will notice just how FAAAAAAAAR away Brazil is from the official footprint! Considering his location, I am truly amazed that he manages to pull it off with "ONLY" an 8 m dish!!!

But don't get me wrong here, don't go off and buy a huge 5-10 m dish straight away, for starters those big antennas are bl***y expensive! And also I do wonder if it isn't possible to just measure the raw signal coming off the satellite first using a "small" dish and then calculate/determine what size of dish would be needed. Maybe some expert could elaborate more on that.

Uk2cyp

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 6900 Combo Motorised 80cm + dual lnb in UK
TM 1500 Motorised 80cm in Cyprus

Hotbird 13E
Astra 1M widebeam
Astra 1H
1W T2 Beam
7E,5E,10E,16E,26E,33E,42E
4W,7W,8W,12.5W,15W
All Ok with 80cm in cyprus
My Location
Kent UK and Cyprus
Hi

MBC4 and MBC2 carry US programs including ABC and CBS news
www.mbc4.net/schedule.asp
They are on Nilesat 7W
I think in England we need at least 1.2m dish
Dont know about Ireland though

BadWithComputer

The Local Drunkard
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
30MB ADSL ONO, Spain
32&quot; Internet connected TV
Many Satellite Dishes.
Humax HD Freesat Box
My Location
Spain
Thanks y´all for your help. American tv is all adverts anyway. I just wanted to have a look what all the fuss is about.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
odellp said:
Hi

MBC4 and MBC2 carry US programs including ABC and CBS news
www.mbc4.net/schedule.asp
They are on Nilesat 7W
I think in England we need at least 1.2m dish
Dont know about Ireland though

You need a 1.2m dish in East Anglia. MUCH bigger dishes are needed on the west coast of Britain, and therefore in Ireland.

gthia

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Skymaster WinXP
My Location
germany
Subscription American TV programmes such as AXN,CNBC,FOX are available on Hispasat 1C - 1D = 30 West, which is covered in Ireland. But you may need a big dish of more than a metre?

T-E-E-N-A

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
GBsat 2CI0,
80cm dish,
SG2100 motor,
Matrix reborn cam,
Cas 3 programmer
My Location
Northern Ireland
If it's any help I'm in Northern Ireland and I was able to pick up Fox, AXN, Fox life, CNBC on Hispasat, crystal clear with an 80cm dish, then they switched encryption to Nagravision 2, so now I can just get Fox and Foxlife. Even though they are nearly all American shows, (Joey, Ally McBeal, Law and order, Lost etc) it's on the Portuguese network TV Cabo. They are all in English with Portuguese subtitles, with no American adverts or news programmes. It is basically 1 show after another, which is great, when there are 5 episodes of The Simpsons in a row for the kids, (I have to watch them, just to make sure there are no rude words), LOL. Saying that now, these channels are subscription only, they are not free.

David0

Reaction score
Website
www.hostingphpbb.com
My Satellite Setup
Sky HD + Pace V2 FTA + Comag SL 55 85 CM dish.

Acer Aspire 1691
Intel Centrino M730 Processor 1.6 GHz 533MHz 2MB L2 cache
ATI X700 64 MB PCIE 512 MB DDR+2
80 GB HDD
15.4 IN
DVD RW DL
My Location
Clacton On Sea Essex
I hope we will be able to subscribe to US TV via the Internet soon. Any thoughts on this?

twag42

Reaction score
My Location
Amsterdam,Holland
sky also has abc1 on its channel package

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
twag42 said:
sky also has abc1 on its channel package

This is not the us version. Its just using the brand name.

Old Satellite

Retired Mod
Reaction score
:)
For those that are interested in receiving some USA bound signals there are approx 160 channels from the following satellites ( Please note that many are Latin Beamed channels!

The channels are all in C band and are carried on 40.5 West NSS 806http://www.lyngsat.com/nss806.html
min dish size is 2.4 mtr

And 55.5 West
http://www.lyngsat.com/i805.html

min dish size is 2.4 mtr

And 58.0 West here you will find the links to many of the USA networks channels - note you will need a friend of the Powervu/Digicipher 2 decoding System.

Although on many occasions one of the networks is not scambling anyway

http://www.lyngsat.com/pas9.html
min dish size is 2.4 mtr

How much do you want to spend is often the problem - what is it worth- pehaps not that much after all

regards to all

Old satellite

Lancelot

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
SS1.
125cm Gibbi with Channelmaster feedhorn and Inverto C120 twin.
36v H to H 62E - 61.5W
My Location
South central
Evening OS :) - have you seen this ??
http://www.satellites.co.uk/php-bin/forum/showthread.php?t=49993

L.