comag sl65
comag porty II (camping)
Pace Prima (analogue)
Assortment of dishes.
computer:
Shiney new Acer
My Location
Derbyshire, England
I think the epg on the freesat boxes will sell them. After all, most peeps will prefer the easier to use option.
Plus, a lot of ex sky users wil be used to 7 day listings.
I only have "now and next" on my 28e box (SL65) which is fine for me, but I could imagine would not suit a lot of people.

dxsat

Reaction score
Website
skyinmadrid.com
My Satellite Setup
Snap's setup: (In Spain) Humax HDR, Prodelin 1.8m dish + Invacom QDF-031 + CM feed, (In UK) CallFlow VDSL + EE 4G, Sky Q, YouView HD, Mac OSX, iOS
My Location
UK: Tonbridge, Kent. Spain: Madrid.
The Freesat article on the Astra 2D.com website has misled a number of people. Just for the record, (I am a moderator on the 2D forum), the info on it has no official weight at all, consisting of the opinions of a number of enthusiasts.

It's been stated by the BBC that the system will not have viewing cards and will be subscription- free.
From the BBC website:
" The BBC and ITV are planning to launch a new free-to-view satellite service, currently known as Freesat, in spring 2008. If you already have a non-Sky satellite receiver, the channels are the same as those you can already receive."
Source:-http://www.bbc.co.uk/reception/news/index.shtml

You will have to go through a set- up procedure, entering your postcode to enable the right regional programming. What no - one can say at present if there will be a check to see if the TV licence is being paid at the address given.Does anyone have an opinion on this?

I believe Freesat will be a huge success if the EPG is right.

I wouldn't mind betting that the EPG will look something like tvtv.co.uk currently provide. I subscribe to this for my EYE tv tuner. It's superior to the Sky guide.
There are full 14-day listings, reliable movie reviews and it includes radio listings, enabling advance recording.

sat345rg

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
no dish
My Location
spain
snap said:
What no - one can say at present if there will be a check to see if the TV licence is being paid at the address given.Does anyone have an opinion on this?

As no phone connection will be required for freesat,I can't see how they can check this.

geoffreys

ASBO Club Member - Persona non grata
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Satellite Setup
Famaval 2.4m dish, Invacom 0.2dB LNB (single), Pace 430N
My Location
Famagusta District, Cyprus
sat345rg said:
As no phone connection will be required for freesat,I can't see how they can check this.

How would having a phone connexion enable them to check??
An address given can easily be checked against the TV Licence database, should they wish/decide to check.
Geoff

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
What worries me is that recently (about 2 - 3 weeks ago) I am sure I read that ITV will NOT allow people to tune in to an out of region ITV channel (as they can on a Dodgybox). I wish I could find the source again as I don't know how on earth they could force this.

Anyone else heard this one?

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
I can see why they'd want to, as regionally targeted advertising is important to them, but I would have thought that a pick your own region would be a great and popular option.

keano

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
2.4mtr Channel Master Dish,
Fracarro Penta 85cm Dish,
64cm Traix Dish with 4 multi LNB'S
Sky HD,
Dreambox 800,
Dreambox 500,
IPBOX 250,
Sky HD and a mad wife !
My Location
Manchester UK
I think its a case of where you buy the official receiver.

Remember the official receiver is mpeg4 also.

So if you buy the official receiver in comet in the North West then you will get ITV Granada.

If you buy receiver in the midlands then you get ITV Central.

They might even let you pick your region from setup menu, then again maybe not but you never know.

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
I'm beginning to think I dreamed this one!

I also can't see it would be done and anyway, let's face it, most people WANT their own region.

mickc

Reaction score
I'm a little ignorant to the proposed "freesat",can someone enlighten me?
At present I use a Sky box with Freesat card (the card with the little house on it) which I acquired a few years ago "free" from the BBC.
My questions are:-
Will I get Channels 4 & 5,sky 3,without the use of a "card"
Will I get programmes that are currently on "Freeview" but not avilable on "freesat" at the present time? eg: "Dave" "Virgin"(currently only available with subscription)
Is there a list? of proposed "freesat" channels available anywhere?:confused

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
You'll probably have to wait a while for a channel list, not sure about Five (probably not) and Sky3, but I'm pretty sure that Sky will not want to miss the opportunity of having some channels on the Freesat platform EPG.

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
There's another aspect (beneficial) of the Freesat EPG that I haven't seen commented upon.

At present the radio channels are subjected to frequent changes on the $ly PID randomiser. This doesn't affect Digibox users as these are all dealt with by the Digibox software but really pi$$e$ off all those (usually oversees) listeners who use FTA satellite receivers. I'm sure that the TV channels also suffer from this occasionally.

Perhaps the new EPG will keep this under control?

sat345rg

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
no dish
My Location
spain
mickc said:
I'm a little ignorant to the proposed "freesat",can someone enlighten me?
At present I use a Sky box with Freesat card (the card with the little house on it) which I acquired a few years ago "free" from the BBC.
My questions are:-
Will I get Channels 4 & 5,sky 3,without the use of a "card"
Will I get programmes that are currently on "Freeview" but not avilable on "freesat" at the present time? eg: "Dave" "Virgin"(currently only available with subscription)
Is there a list? of proposed "freesat" channels available anywhere?:confused

Freesat will not give you any more channel that you currently receive with your digibox plus card.
This means subscription channels,like those you mentioned,will not be available even if they are on freeview.
Furthermore,with freesat you won't get the encrypted non-subscription channels,such as five or sky3,for which a card and digibox will still be required.

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Humax HDCI-2000, Dragon Twin CAM 4.1, DVDO HD+ scaler, Sony LCD TV
My Location
Nottingham, UK
Freesat closer to launch? Well, in the same sense that the day when the sun will die and swallow up the Earth is closer than it was yesterday, I suppose so... :)

Just playing devil's advocate here, surely any system that doesn't get Channel 4 AND Channel 5 will be dead in the water. How many people, apart from us anoraks, would invest in such a system? And Channel 5 have shown no interest in joining Freesat or going FTA.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
You will get the Channel 4 group of channels, it will only be Channel 5 in the short term which remains encrypted and that being because they are under contract as far as I know.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
As far as I am aware the C4 encryption contracts expire this summer sometime but C5 is contracted until mid 2009.

Now its anyones guess if Sky could be persuaded (financially or otherwise) to allow those contracts to be voided or changed, but if they do Im certain a LOT of money will have to change hands.

However, a contract is a contract and the tv scene was very different when those contracts were originally signed.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
I wonder about the encryption contracts, so if you are happy to pay until the end of the contract, but not take up the encryption, surely that would be acceptable. For Channel 4, there has got to be an advantage to being available at the launch. :)

Yeshi

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dm500, TM9100, Samsung V+, 1M Dish. Motect 2100..
37Inch Plasma, Wii, Xbox360.
My Location
Behind pin 9 on an atmel
rolfw said:
I wonder about the encryption contracts, so if you are happy to pay until the end of the contract, but not take up the encryption, surely that would be acceptable. For Channel 4, there has got to be an advantage to being available at the launch. :)

Yeah because big brother starts just after the launch lmao..

TBH theyre keeping this hole system quiet.. we dont really know whats going to happen until its up and running..

as for regional, for them to not let people change their region is going to be hard to enforce..

They could enforce with a postcode but if you really wanted wouldnt a simple postcode change just do the trick??

And to set the region at the factory is dangerous... they should realise that people move around all the time.. to diferent regions... this isnt 1920 britain lol it wouldnt work :|

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
rolfw said:
It's not to $ly's advantage to let C4 out of the contract. Just look at how they won't even let More 4 and E4 be available as FTV channels.

sat345rg

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
no dish
My Location
spain
Channel five still has an interest in encryption because of the many American programs(including sports)
they broadcast.In fact the holders of these rights would ask much more money if five should go FTA,even on Astra2D.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
PaulR said:
It's not to $ly's advantage to let C4 out of the contract. Just look at how they won't even let More 4 and E4 be available as FTV channels.

I'm not suggesting that they be let out of the contract. merely that they pay until the end, but don't take the services of encryption. Of course, it does depend on the exact nature of the contract as to how easy that would be. :)