PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
But $ly wouldn't let C4 transmit without encryption until their contract expires. This then gave them a way of forcing people into having to have their equipment if you wanted C4 on satellite.

As I say it's not to their interest to let it go FTA until the last possible minute.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Do you know that they have the power to do that Paul, or is it assumption, if channel 4 pay for the contracted service, can Sky (by contract) insist that the encryption is applied?

geoffreys

ASBO Club Member - Persona non grata
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Satellite Setup
Famaval 2.4m dish, Invacom 0.2dB LNB (single), Pace 430N
My Location
Famagusta District, Cyprus
the_happy_traveller said:
Good point, but I think what they are hoping is that the majority of people know or understand very little about sat receivers and will therefore just pay to have the equipment installed for them.

Mention satellite tv to most people in the UK and the first thing they will reply with is Sky.
(unfortunately, they know no different)

Valid point!
As I understand it the Freesat service is aimed at those in UK who are unable to receive Freeview, as well as those who cannot receive SKY (e.g. surrounded by buildings etc). As has been said already in this forum we do not yet know the full details of Freesat, but I don't see why BBC and ITV could not continue on the 2D satellite as well on Eurobird 1.
As I see it the Freesat service breaks SKY's monopoly, a monopoly that has cost BBC + ITV dear to date. If they transmit on Eurobird could SKY afford not to also have them remain on 2D? If SKY lost that they would have a load of unhappy customers in the UK, maybe BBC/ITV could charge SKY to keep their channels (also) on 2D? We will just have to wait see. The timing seems vague too, I asked my daughter in UK to ask around in her area (Burton on Trent) at the stores named as those who will stock the Freesat receivers, none of the staff knew anything about it yet; seems to me they are cutting in fine if they actually plan the launch date of March. We live in interesting times folks,
Geoff
Cyprus

mdlyons

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Triax TD88 (95cmx85cm), Technomate 1600 super, 0.2LNB, Moteck2100 motor.
My Location
Sawbridgeworth, East Herts
geoffreys said:
Valid point!
As I understand it the Freesat service is aimed at those in UK who are unable to receive Freeview, as well as those who cannot receive SKY (e.g. surrounded by buildings etc). As has been said already in this forum we do not yet know the full details of Freesat, but I don't see why BBC and ITV could not continue on the 2D satellite as well on Eurobird 1.
As I see it the Freesat service breaks SKY's monopoly, a monopoly that has cost BBC + ITV dear to date. If they transmit on Eurobird could SKY afford not to also have them remain on 2D? If SKY lost that they would have a load of unhappy customers in the UK, maybe BBC/ITV could charge SKY to keep their channels (also) on 2D? We will just have to wait see. The timing seems vague too, I asked my daughter in UK to ask around in her area (Burton on Trent) at the stores named as those who will stock the Freesat receivers, none of the staff knew anything about it yet; seems to me they are cutting in fine if they actually plan the launch date of March. We live in interesting times folks,
Geoff
Cyprus

If people cannot receive sky, then they will have no chance of receiving the Freesat service, as it will operate from the same satellite position!

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Humax HDCI-2000, Dragon Twin CAM 4.1, DVDO HD+ scaler, Sony LCD TV
My Location
Nottingham, UK
geoffreys said:
but I don't see why BBC and ITV could not continue on the 2D satellite as well on Eurobird 1.
They could not use Eurobird 1 because the beam is too wide. The whole point of going onto Astra 2D was to limit the geographical coverage so they could transmit without encryption thereby saving lots of money.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
geoffreys said:
, but I don't see why BBC and ITV could not continue on the 2D satellite as well on Eurobird 1.

Insufficient capacity on Eurobird 1. BBC & ITV have about 9 tp's between them - theres nowhere near that available on EB1. Theres also the cost of renting extra tp's

Has everybody noticed the only people who are desperate to get the BBC onto EB1 are our distant expats - and you really dont matter as you are outside the uk :p

geoffreys

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Analoguesat said:
Insufficient capacity on Eurobird 1. BBC & ITV have about 9 tp's between them - theres nowhere near that available on EB1. Theres also the cost of renting extra tp's

Has everybody noticed the only people who are desperate to get the BBC onto EB1 are our distant expats - and you really dont matter as you are outside the uk :p

We certainly ARE wanting BBC and ITV on EB1, nothing wrong with that.
I wonder how many 1000s of us there actually are in Europe (but outside of the UK)? Loads of potential revenue for someone!
Geoff
A distant expat

geoffreys

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Satellite Setup
My Location
mdlyons said:
If people cannot receive sky, then they will have no chance of receiving the Freesat service, as it will operate from the same satellite position!

You are of course correct, I was quoting from an item on Freesat.co.uk,
sorry about that, I should have picked up on it myself.
Geoff

sat345rg

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
no dish
My Location
spain
Analoguesat said:

Not very polite to make jokes on expats,particularly on a forum that has many of them on board,and also sections aimed at helping them in receiving the whole or part of the BBC and ITV channels.

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
sat345rg said:
Not very polite to make jokes on expats,particularly on a forum that has many of them on board,and also sections aimed at helping them in receiving the whole or part of the BBC and ITV channels.

I don't think it's supposed to be disrespectful or impolite - just pointing out that it's not something which the BBC are mandated to do - hence it 'not mattering' (to the BBC) if expats can't receive the service.

keano said:
I think its a case of where you buy the official receiver.

Remember the official receiver is mpeg4 also....

We're talking Freesat here, not Freeview, right?

There's no way that the SD satellite delivery will be via mpeg4, as again, everybody else (including Sky subscribers) would be knackered! Only the BBC HD channel(s) will be mpeg4 and therefore require a dual mpeg2/4 HD receiver.

Freeview will be moving to mpeg4 over the next few years, just to upset all the old people who have yet to buy an mpeg2 Freeview box. It'll give them something else to moan about in the Post Office queue!

:-Nooo

Only joking, you oldies! :p

keano

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
2.4mtr Channel Master Dish,
Fracarro Penta 85cm Dish,
64cm Traix Dish with 4 multi LNB'S
Sky HD,
Dreambox 800,
Dreambox 500,
IPBOX 250,
Sky HD and a mad wife !
My Location
Manchester UK
Yes m8, we are talking freesat.

Some of the boxes that are being made for freesat have to be able to decode mpeg4 and dvb-s2.

Nearly forgot its not just for BBC HD, ITV HD is hoping to start in the Spring and we already have CH4 HD now ( if/when they join ).

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
I'm sure that only the HD Freesat boxes will have mpeg4 capability and not all - so the current SD transmissions will have to stay mpeg2.

C4 HD is encrypted, so that's out of the frame as far as Freesat is concerned until that situation changes.

It will be interesting to see when BBC HD switches from mpeg2 to mpeg4.

I'm guessing that will be right around Freesat launch time.

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Is the BBC HD channel still in MPEG2? Can anyone who Actually receives it confirm that?

keano

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
2.4mtr Channel Master Dish,
Fracarro Penta 85cm Dish,
64cm Traix Dish with 4 multi LNB'S
Sky HD,
Dreambox 800,
Dreambox 500,
IPBOX 250,
Sky HD and a mad wife !
My Location
Manchester UK
According to Lyngsat its MPEG 4 but not DVB-S2 only DVB

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
I'm not convinced the channel listing sites are up to date hence why I asked the question.

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
keano said:
According to Lyngsat its MPEG 4 but not DVB-S2 only DVB

Yes you are right. My mistake - mpeg4 but only DVB-S of course. It's DVB-S2 they'll be switching to at some point. I've got this arse about face before! :-doh2

I believe that the BBC stated this right up front when the trial started.

It works fine on my Skystar still (well, as of 10 days or so ago.)

Freesat launch will surely be a good time to make the change. It's going to be their best time to justify it - not that there are that many people that will be affected. Sky HD customers are catered for anyway I guess.

cdtronix

Supporting Advertiser
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.1m Triax With Inverto Black Ultra fixed on 4.8East. 60cm Dish Fixed on 28East both Diseqc onto Dreambox 800HD. Cdtronix 1.2m Motorised with Twin LNB using Technomate TM6800 HD. Seperate Sky+ HD & Icecrypt S1500C.
My Location
Essex
Anymore info on what boxes are to be realeaed and rough prices yet ?

Fishpaste

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Echostar DVR-7000, Humax HDCI 2000, 1.2 Andrews Motorised.
My Location
UK
Well all this is good news as i hate sky,

But the thing is will my Equipment work with Freesat?

Anyone have any idea's or will i need to buy a compatitable box yet again?

Fish....

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
cdtronix said:
Anymore info on what boxes are to be released and rough prices yet ?

Nope, nothing released at all as far as I know. :)

@ Fishpaste, your equipment should be fine.