UK ITV Channels

Glenikins

Reaction score
My Location
Aberdeenshire, UK
Hi there, I've not currently got a satellite TV system at home, I'm in the early (very confusing) stages of working out what I want/need.

As I've been trawling through magazines and web sites trying to clue myself up on things, one thing I've noticed is that it appears that the only way one can receive ITV1, ITV2, Channel 4 and Channel 5 is by using a Sky Digibox. Is this the case?

Ideally I would like to install a motorised system with a receiver that would accept a (CAM?) card that I could program (?) with encryption codes.

mick32

Reaction score
My Location
Newcastle
yeah your right itv is part of the sky package and it aint hacked but theres plenty of other good stuff around i.e hotbird etc,,browse this forum theres plenty of good info on dishes,,motors etc and allways plenty of people around to give u a bit of advice,,have fun and welcome to the world of sats...lol

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
ITV1, ITV2, Channel 4 and Channel 5 are indeed currently ONLY available with a digibox. However, the ITV channels are currently in negotiation with Sky, and there is a good chance they will be going fta in the next 2-3 months. C4 & 5 will stay encoded for the medium to long term as they both signed new encryption agreements in the last 2 years.

Milkybarkid

Reaction score
"Ideally I would like to install a motorised system with a receiver that would accept a (CAM?) card that I could program (?) with encryption codes".

For NDS not possible. Get a Sky digibox and a £20 viewing card from Sky.( or get a Freeview box).

With a motorised system and CAM you 'll have so much to watch you won't miss not having ITV,ch4 and 5.

Glenikins

Reaction score
My Location
Aberdeenshire, UK
Thanks a lot for the info guys.

I don't think I'd particularly miss ITV and Channel 4 (and where I live Channel 5 has never been available so that's ok heh) but my wife is a bit partial to Hollyoaks :-ohmy so...

If I buy a receiver that has a slot for a CAM card, is it possible to get a CAM card from Sky that we could plug in whenever we wanted those channels (even if we had to pay for the card!)

I don't really understand yet exactly what a CAM card is, whether you need one for every subscription service you subscribe to, whether all receivers accept the same CAM cards (physically etc.). I gather it's possible to program CAM cards yourself, but how and what with is still a mystery to me!

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
DreamBox 7000s - Nokia Freeview - Several GameBoys - DS Lite - ZX81 - SNES - N64 - Saturn - Dreamcast - PlayStation - PS2 - Gamecube - PSP - iPod - iPhone - XBox - PS3 - Wii - iPad - No Life!
My Location
Scotland
Glenikins said:
If I buy a receiver that has a slot for a CAM card, is it possible to get a CAM card from Sky that we could plug in whenever we wanted those channels (even if we had to pay for the card!)

Not possible you need a S*y receiver and card they are paired. No CAM that works UK S*y is available.

Can you not get Freeview for the ITV channels?

Glenikins

Reaction score
My Location
Aberdeenshire, UK
gameboy said:
Can you not get Freeview for the ITV channels?

Our terrestial reception is dreadful, and I'm told that means we won't be able to receive digital channels.

Is it possible to get a Sky receiver without a subscription (thereby having two receivers, one that we could watch ITV etc. on and one for all the good stuff!)?

Oh no, that leads me to another issue - is it possible to have more than one receiver with a motorised dish..?! What if both receivers wanted different satellites...

twag42

Reaction score
My Location
Amsterdam,Holland
you can have more than one receiver with a dish.we have a sky box and a satellite receiver.the sky box is only used for watching the channels on 28 east,as its the only way known so far of opening up these channels.as for the others then we switch on the sat.box and watch all the others happily and of course without any cost.for this set up you need a twin lnb,with the one output that connects to the motor also connected to the sat.box,and the other connected to the sky box.so when moving the dish use only the sat box,when we want to watch sky,we move the dish to 28east,then switch the sat box off,and the sky box on.when we want to go back to satellite we switch the sky box off,the sat box on and away we go.the sky box is basically a cam as its the only thing that will open up 28east.not much good for owt else.

TWAG

Glenikins

Reaction score
My Location
Aberdeenshire, UK
twag42 said:
the sky box is basically a cam as its the only thing that will open up 28east.not much good for owt else.

Ah ok, I see. Do you have to pay a subscription for the Sky box or can you get one with a one-off payment?

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Any decent dealer will sell you a new box with no phone requirement. You can also get boxes from Ebay for reasonable amounts. Then get a ftv card from freesatfromsky.com

twag42

Reaction score
My Location
Amsterdam,Holland
for satellite purposes,the sky family pack £19.50 a month is a good investment.you would get all the itv,uk gold.sci-fi channels etc.and of course you could watch the rest via satellite.why for example pay for sky sports when football is available over the satellite via such services as tps,d+,conax etc.you can pick up a used sky box from most second hand shops for about £50,but without a card/subscription it will only give you the same FTA channels as any sat box.

Glenikins

Reaction score
My Location
Aberdeenshire, UK
I think what I'll do is pay the £150 charge to Sky for a dish and box and the "Freesat" channels, then continue looking into a motorised solution that I'll install in addition to the Sky system.