UK police issue 'vicious' Trojan alert

N

net1

In a highly unusual move that underlines the seriousness of the risk, Britain's top cybercrime fighters have joined up with the banking industry in warning of the latest attempt to defraud online banking customers, The Register reports.

The attacks, in the form of 'Trojan horse' emails, contain details of a fictitious order for Web hosting or computer goods and thank the email recipient for a non-existent order. In addition, they also display the apparent cost that will be charged to their credit card. The email also contains a link to one of a number of maliciously constructed website in order to "view the order in more detail".

These maliciously constructed sites harbour a Trojan downloader routine capable of dropping a keystroke logging program onto vulnerable PCs. If a machine becomes infected, the next time a customer uses their PC to access their own online banking site, the Trojan can potentially record their secret passwords and PINs used to log-on.

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
Very clever

Had a couple of these in my in box this week, some may believe them to be real purchases though.