upcoming launch ses to 5e

Hi all,

I have managed to lock a signal and download a data channel from the first proper transponder frequency on this new satellite... the signal lock was intermittent but it stayed on long enough to download from the transponder... and to take pictures...

SES 5 at 5.2°E

11.264V [30000] 3/4 DVB-S2 8PSK [Nordic Beam]

Viasat HD Test [VPID 0000/APID 0000/PPID 65535] Data

TM 5402 HD CI+ Super+
Signal Strength 97%
Signal Quality 65%


Edit
Signal Quality up to 67% (steady constant signal now)

I have attached a couple of pictures...

Best Wishes,
Zorch
 
Zorch, where in NW are you? How does this compare to other DVB-S2 signals from Astra 4A? Doesn't look good for us in the South West (certainly getting nothing on my Fibo). Will try on my Uno on the properly aligned Penta soon.
 
Hi Captain Jack,

Captain Jack said:
Zorch, where in NW are you?

Staffordshire

Best Wishes,
Zorch
 
Hmm, you are not that far away from me. I noticed it's at 5.2 degrees as opposed to 4.8, so maybe a little dish adjustment is required.
 
Is 5.2°E the final GSO or will the bird be placed closer to 4.8°E after testing and commissioning is finished?


Chris
 
Hi again Captain Jack,

Captain Jack said:
How does this compare to other DVB-S2 signals from Astra 4A?

If I leave my dish pointed at SES 5 at 5.2°E and then look at the Nordic Beam DVB-S2 8PSK transponder signals from Astra 4A at 4.8°E ...this is what I am seeing...

12.188H [27500] 3/4 DVB-S2 8PSK ~ Signal Strength 97% ~ Signal Quality 87%
12.341H [27500] 3/4 DVB-S2 8PSK ~ Signal Strength 97% ~ Signal Quality 87%
12.399V [27500] 3/4 DVB-S2 8PSK ~ Signal Strength 97% ~ Signal Quality 75%
12.437V [27500] 3/4 DVB-S2 8PSK ~ Signal Strength 97% ~ Signal Quality 81%
12.456H [27500] 3/4 DVB-S2 8PSK ~ Signal Strength 97% ~ Signal Quality 89%


NB
My Signal Quality reading on these 5 transponders would be marginally better than shown if I were to tweak my dish back onto Astra 4A at 4.8°E

PS
Signal Quality on 11.264V [30000] on SES 5 now up to 69%

Best Wishes,
Zorch
 
Threads merged .............. :-righton
 
No problems here, getting 54% signal with the dish peaked on 4.8E going up to 59% peaked on 5.2E. Pretty similar to what i get on the Astra 4A nordic beam.
 
Sadly only just realigned my 5E dish to 7E so cant have a look atm - might temporarily rig a spare 80cm dish to 5E over the weekend if the weather is ok.
 
Nudged the 90cm-performance-Fibo dish westwards remotely and I keep getting signs of life on the F15 but not lock still. I have no doubt it will lock with margin once properly sorted or with Channel Master 1.2m.
 
I'm waiting to see what the dB levels of the horizontals will be when they test with a DVB stream. The empty horizontal carrier is down about 0.5dB compared to the vertical one, but that may just be my LNB ( or different power outputs of the transponders).
 
I get no signal at all here in South Devon on either my 1.2 or 1.8 if they move all noridc services to this bird it does not look good
 
jcm193 said:
I get no signal at all here in South Devon on either my 1.2 or 1.8 if they move all noridc services to this bird it does not look good

Did you adjust the dish for 5.2 East from its usual 4.8E location? The narrow beamwidth of the 1.8 might be too restrictive.

If you have, then it's bad news but I already get signs of life in mid-Somerset on a badly performing Fibo (equivalent to a normal 90cm dish) so 1.2m should *hopefully* pull it in.

My friend is in Barnstaple (North Devon) with a CD Tronix 80cm dish and he gets some Nordic TPs from Astra 4A on that, whereas I get every TP on my Penta 85cm dish a bit further east near Bristol.

Either way, it sounds like the drop off is quite sharp.
 
I may of spoke to soon i found these transponders on an earlier post this is what i get on my 1.8 tested on a tm5402HD i have noticed the signal does fluctuate by about 3-4% i guess this is due to testing i may not also be getting the max out of this bird as i had to ajust my skew slightly for 28.2e

12.188H [27500] 3/4 DVB-S2 8PSK ~ Signal Strength 97% ~ Signal Quality 72%
12.341H [27500] 3/4 DVB-S2 8PSK ~ Signal Strength 97% ~ Signal Quality 67%
12.399V [27500] 3/4 DVB-S2 8PSK ~ Signal Strength 97% ~ Signal Quality 77%
12.437V [27500] 3/4 DVB-S2 8PSK ~ Signal Strength 97% ~ Signal Quality 75%
12.456H [27500] 3/4 DVB-S2 8PSK ~ Signal Strength 97% ~ Signal Quality 0%

On the nordic beam i get 93% visat xtra pl etc
 
jcm, the frequencies you listed are on Astra 4A (4.8E). Surprised you don't get anything on 12456H though. I get it OK on my 85cm in Bristol area and 8.4 dB on the Fibo now.

11264V is the only new modulated TP on Nordic beam at the moment.
 
Nothing at all i didn't realise they where on 4.8 ,12188 H has gone from 72% to 64% and is now unlockable this has happen in around ten minutes i may have a look again tomorrow
 
Viasat HD Test is back on 11264 V, but this time encrypted in NDS.
The analog carriers have all disappeared.
 
Not getting anything on my 90cm dish in South Bucks (focus is on 1W). The usual strong signals from Astra 4A though.
 
Back
Top