Upgrading

B

billw

I am considering upgrading my Nokia system-9800,1800 and1852.
Is there any receiver comparable to the new Echostar 7000? It is
not that I am averse to buying Echostar but I would like alternatives
to enable me to make an informed choice.
My 1.4 dish uses a convential 4-wire control. Is this still considered a
better method compared to DiSeq 1.2?
Any suggestions would be appreciated/
Regards
Bill..

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
The four wire system is a reasonably quick, heavy duty dish handling system. There are DiseqC to conventional converters, so you can retain your existing dish actuator even if you buy a DiseqC only receiver (see thread in multisat systems).

Rolf

FRAZER

Reaction score
If "upgrading" means adding a hard disk recorder, then I find that the Nokia 9902s does everything I want it to (pause recording, timer recording), even if the response time from the remote control is a little slower than for some people's tastes (you can get into a rhythm). The software is fine too, except perhaps for a lack of favourites lists (only seven of your own)- I assume the software is, where relevant, the same or very similar to that of the 9800.

What's more it can be ordered from Germany for roughly £350 including overseas delivery (at www.calaron.de).

But if you want all the extra features of the Echostar, then I can't help you, though there is a Topfield hard disk receiver on sale at many German sites which includes a dual tuner (ie for watching one thing whilst recording another) which I believe the Echostar doesn't have, going for about £470-£500.

B

billw

Thanks Rolfw and Frazer for your advice.I finally settled for a Echostar 3600
which has the same satellite specification as the 7000 but at a more realistic
cost. .I have not installed it yet so cant comment on any of its shortcomings
but by substituting one unit for three there will be.an immediiate saving in
shelf space.
I would be interested to hear of any member who has had experience with
the Echostar 3600 of any potential problems that may occur in the installation
or general use .

Regards
Bill.

tirosh

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Echostar AD3600IPVA
Channel Master 1.2M
VxMulti, MM1.04
My Location
Essex
billw,

I have had an Echostar AD3600IPVA since mid November. I have a 1.2M Channel Master dish with a Polar mount and actuator. I have not previously had any other Satellite systems so I can't compare with anything else but the AD3600 seems ok. It arrived with the v100 s/w but I have since upgraded to v200 using my computer and a Null modem. v200 has various fixes and brings back the Sat function that was available on the AD3000. It has 8 Favs lists which are still a bit buggy. Also from time to time it seems to lose the settings for Astra so you have to set that position again (see satnerds forum for more info).

One of the things that I have found very useful is the SatEditNav S/W from Wolfgang. I use this now to sort out my Favs lists etc.

Let me know if you need any specific info.

Tirosh.

B

billw

Tirosh
Thanks for your feedback.Where can I get the SatEditNav software by Wolfgang?
I do not have a computer but use a set top box from Freedomland which usually
suffices for most of my needs.I will be able to update with the latest software as
Echostar does provide an over the air facility.Thanks for informing me that it exists.
I do belong to Satnerds but after reading the adverse comments about SatNav
its good that you seem to be generally pleased with it.
I have got a petallised 1.4 dish with the convential positioner and motor.This is
one of the main reasons for buying Echostar as it works without having to change
the motor to use DiSeq which now seems to be the current favourite.The other
advantage was the opportunity to replace three boxes with one and have the benefit
of the latest technology.
I have still not installed my 3600 but expect to do so very shortly.Thanks again for
your help..
Regards,
Bill

tirosh

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Echostar AD3600IPVA
Channel Master 1.2M
VxMulti, MM1.04
My Location
Essex
bill,

>>I have still not installed my 3600 but expect to do so very >>shortly.Thanks again for your help..

You are welcome. As I say I am no expert but learning all the time and quite happy to share my experiences. I work in S/W development so I know that a new version of any S/W takes a few revisions before it settles down. The EchoNav system is no different. Given that they introduced a v200 very quickly I am assured that they are continueing to make improvemts. Hence I am not as concerned as some of the others on Satnerds.

>>Thanks for your feedback.Where can I get the SatEditNav software by Wolfgang?

See http://www.setedit.de/startup_d.html

Tirosh.