Urinating whilst standing up

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
And how it is linked to black holes

Plateau–Rayleigh instability occurs in urination, particularly standing male urination. The stream of urine experiences instability after about 15 cm (6 inches), breaking into droplets, which causes significant splash-back on impacting a surface. By contrast, if the stream contacts a surface while still in a stable state – such as by urinating directly against a urinal or wall – splash-back is almost completely eliminated.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plateau–Rayleigh_instability

We describe the behavior of 5-dimensional black strings, subject to the Gregory-Laflamme instability. Beyond the linear level, the evolving strings exhibit a rich dynamics, where at intermediate stages the horizon can be described as a sequence of 3-dimensional spherical black holes joined by black string segments. These segments are themselves subject to a Gregory-Laflamme instability, resulting in a self-similar cascade, where ever-smaller satellite black holes form connected by ever-thinner string segments. This behavior is akin to satellite formation in low-viscosity fluid streams subject to the Rayleigh-Plateau instability. The simulation results imply that the string segments will reach zero radius in finite asymptotic time, whence the classical space-time terminates in a naked singularity. Since no fine-tuning is required to excite the instability, this constitutes a generic violation of cosmic censorship.

http://relativity.livingreviews.org/open?pubNo=lrr-2008-6&page=articlese3.html

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
Now that's just taking the pi...

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No satellite stuff for the moment (aside from a 43cm minidish that was on the house already), Samsung SyncMaster T27B550 Smart TV & Monitor, and a few computers...
My Location
Near Pontop Pike, Co. Durham
Soooooo, every time I wee, I risk tearing a hole in space? Cool... :D

skomedal

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
This and that
My Location
thule
Presume you lower underwear first:-rofl2

Not all members are male.

Regards

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No satellite stuff for the moment (aside from a 43cm minidish that was on the house already), Samsung SyncMaster T27B550 Smart TV & Monitor, and a few computers...
My Location
Near Pontop Pike, Co. Durham
Presume you lower underwear first:-rofl2

Well, if it's true that a pee stream that impacts something else before it breaks up is not forming black holes, then wetting yourself is less likely to cause the universe to collapse in on itself, but, I'll take the risk of opening a black hole, at least with one of those in the throne, you're not going to splash on the floor... :-rofl2