USALS and DiSEq on same cable connection?

Cupart

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
So I have spent most of the morning putting together a drawing of a proposed sat setup, so I don't hope my boss uses this forum as well as I can't see him sharing my enthusiasm for non work related stuff...

Anyhow, I want to receive BBC HD as well as BBC3 and BBC4 (among others) that are not available on the Irish EPG. I have a quad LNB on my 1 meter dish pointing to 28.2E where one connection point is free.

My Technomate 6900HD (where I want to receive the BBC HD signal) has one LNB input which I have connected to a USALS and was wondering if I could do the following (see my super drawing):

Can I connect a DiSEq before the USALS and connect my spare fixed 28.2E LNB output (red line on drawing) as well as the motorised to the DiSEq switch so I can switch between the fixed and motorised and still use the USALS for dish movement or does the DiSEq stop the USALS signal from the Technomate to the Moteck 2100?

Will there be any significant signal loos having both a USALS and DiSEq switch connected?

Thanks,

Fred

Attachments

• Sat Setup proposal.JPG
    Sat Setup proposal.JPG
    18.7 KB · Views: 62

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
TM6800HD, TM1000, TM600 Linux,TM2200 motor, Channel Master 1.2m motorised, TD110 dish Meter=Satlook Micro+G2 NIT
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
Hi, I have a similarish setup with a fixed dish for 26E plus a motorised dish.

I found it was necessary to connect the Diseqc switch AFTER the motor though:-

I.E Receiver-->Motor--> DiSEqC switch-->> LNBs

See picture below:-

Nothing did anything when I connected the Diseqc1.0 switch first in the chain.

Yes there will be a handful of dB extra loss, but as long as the cable isnt too long it will be OK.

I have connected mine up without the motor and switch on a weak satellite and there was no difference in signal QUALITY at all, compared with them in.

10m cable= attenuation of 3 dB approx, so an extra component is aprox eqaul to an extra 10m of cable.

Robbo:)

Attachments

• Sat Setup proposal_mod.JPG
    Sat Setup proposal_mod.JPG
    20.1 KB · Views: 56

Cupart

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Thanks man...

I think I'll give it a go when I go to France next time. Do you have any recommendations on what DiSEqC switch to get? I could imagine there is quite some quality differences between the different makes.

Cheers,

F

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
TM6800HD, TM1000, TM600 Linux,TM2200 motor, Channel Master 1.2m motorised, TD110 dish Meter=Satlook Micro+G2 NIT
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
Spaun is supposedly a good make, to be honest one of the installer members would be able to give a better idea on what is reliable, I just got the cheapest I could find (Eurostar-£4.99), seems to work OK so far.
:)