Usb to serial lead

cableman

Reaction score
My friend is using my Neotion box 501 (patched). He wants to upgrade his patch himself. He only has a laptop which has no com port.
He has bought himself a usb to serial lead and reckons he can load patch files in this way.
I have told him that this will not work and could damage my receiver. Am I correct? If he tries, is he going to damage my receiver?
Any ideas appreciated. Regards to all on the forum. Cableman.

tufail_74

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 500S
My Location
KSA
i think this will not damage ur receiver coz usb converter cables draw supply from pc.so if he first uploads patch to his pc then to his receiver nothing wrong should happen.i shall also appreciate if other members share their views too.

RFA

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
i dont know
My Location
saudi arabia
actually i tried this put the problem is that i coudn't set the port and i dont know hot to solve this problem
when i connect the receiver to my laptop no any effect that shows they are connected togther
any body can help please

cableman

Reaction score
RFA said:
actually i tried this put the problem is that i coudn't set the port and i dont know hot to solve this problem
when i connect the receiver to my laptop no any effect that shows they are connected togther
any body can help please
I have since got my usb to serial working fine.

When you said you could not set the ports, did you mean you do not know how to do this, or did it make no difference which port you tried?
To set a different port, go to System/Hardwear/device manager and ports. Here you should see your usb to serial device listed. Click on this and you can then select a different port. Good luck.