Use of existing spectrum for HDTV?

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Triple Dragon, Dreambox 8000, Echostar AD3000ip, TBS6522,6925,6983 PCie cards.
Gibertini 1.25m motorised dish driven by the AD3000, with either Inverto BU Quad or Norsat / XMW Ka LNBs . SMW 1.05m + 3 other dishes. Speccy: Promax HD Ranger+
My Location
The Flatlands of East Anglia
In a letter to the Guardian 21/08/07, Ofcom partner Philip Rutnam wrote -

"You say that high-definition television could soon become a mass phenomenon and that the BBC should not be left behind (Leader, August 20). At Ofcom we agree. In fact, we'd go further: we are keen to see that all public service broadcasters - not just the BBC - can offer HDTV to digital terrestrial television viewers. There are two ways of achieving this. These broadcasters could simply be granted some of the highly-valued radio spectrum that will be freed-up when we complete the switch to all-digital television in 2012. Alternatively, HDTV could be delivered using the broadcasters' existing spectrum.
Ofcom believes that it is in the best interests of viewers and the broadcasters to pursue the second option. Using the broadcasters' existing spectrum will ensure they can deliver HDTV services before the London Olympics and at lower cost than using new spectrum, which is good news for programming budgets. In addition, it will allow the spectrum that will be freed up through digital television switchover to be used for new services such as innovative mobile applications, wireless broadband and local television. This is the kind of "technological fix" that is fair to all: broadcasters, viewers, taxpayers and new media industries.
Creating the capacity for HDTV is a complex issue that requires work from both Ofcom and the broadcasters. But we believe it is a prize worth aiming for.

Philip Rutnam
Ofcom partner in charge of spectrum policy"

I don't get this. How does he plan to allow the roll out of HDTV within the existing spectrum before the changeover?

Any spectrum available is surely going to be part of the sell-off when all analogue ceases?

Or is he suggesting 'tidying up' the channels on existing muxes, e.g get the broadcasters to drop some of the rubbish channels that are on them now?

Llew

Mad Rat

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
65cm dish for Sky+ linked to all rooms, all with own remote and magic eye. Second box in home office (no multi room subscription just use card from main box if needed) 3rd box in bedroom Freeview in other rooms. Free cable in dining room Two 53cm mi
My Location
Leicestershire UK

moosegoose

bog standard
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80 cm dish hh motor teco tm1000 dreambox 7020
cas 3interface
dragon cam.promax tv explorer 2.
My Location
norwich
there will be a lot of vertical pol available as they were mostly analogue. paragon aerials have a combined v and h antenna in waiting. and i dont think they can fit hd into a 8 mhz slot.