Using a receiver instead of a digibox

T

thuynh7

Hi all just a quick lame question,

Before i rush out and get one, what would happen if I replaced my Thompsons Sky digibox with a Digital Satellite receiver (assuming I have a sky dish set up),

Also what else would happen if I got a bigger dish (i.e 80cm), would i be able to get more channels (assuming if the dish position stays the same)

thanks all

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Not much would happen, the Thompson digibox is a digital satellite receiver, but tied to Sky digital. The new receiver would not really gain you anything at all on that satellite position, nor would the 80cm dish (I'm presuming that you are in the UK).

You could of course get another receiver as well as the Digibox and an 80cm dish, then you could look at other satellites and some interesting channels, you really need to spend a little time reading the forum, as this is all covered very well in previous threads.

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
DreamBox 7000s - Nokia Freeview - Several GameBoys - DS Lite - ZX81 - SNES - N64 - Saturn - Dreamcast - PlayStation - PS2 - Gamecube - PSP - iPod - iPhone - XBox - PS3 - Wii - iPad - No Life!
My Location
Scotland
thuynh7 said:
what would happen if I replaced my Thompsons Sky digibox with a Digital Satellite receiver (assuming I have a sky dish set up)

If you still want Sky you will need a digibox or a Dreamcast - both will only work with a current subscription card.

Also what else would happen if I got a bigger dish (i.e 80cm), would i be able to get more channels (assuming if the dish position stays the same)

No more channels at 28.2 East the mini dish will receive all the channels. If you move to another position you will get more channels from the weaker satellites.

Rolfw: I must try and learn to type with more than one finger... :-doh!

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
LOL, you don't realise that although I only type with one finger, I have eight hands. :D

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
gameboy said:
If you still want Sky you will need a digibox or a Dreamcast

LOL, gaming on the brain... :-doh!

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
DreamBox 7000s - Nokia Freeview - Several GameBoys - DS Lite - ZX81 - SNES - N64 - Saturn - Dreamcast - PlayStation - PS2 - Gamecube - PSP - iPod - iPhone - XBox - PS3 - Wii - iPad - No Life!
My Location
Scotland
BGonaSTICK said:
LOL, gaming on the brain... :-doh!

Whooops, sorry...

'Dreambox'

Too many dream things for me - must try harder...

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
:D I know what you mean.... The world is running short on superlatives and hype-grabbing names now...