safesurfer65

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Humax HDCI-2000
Motorised 1m dish
My Location
Scotland
Hi all

Currently I have a motorised 1.2m dia. dish that I had installed a few years ago when I first got into satellite tv.
It has 1 cable running out of it going into a HD freesat and a HD satellite receiver, I have to swap over the cable when my wife wants to watch something on Hotbird. Now that Formula 1 is going to Sky I feel I have no option but get Sky to watch all the races live. Im not happy about this but what can I do. Anyway I've spoken to the Sky people and they say the installer will come out and survey the dish. I know I'll have to get someone to install additional LNB's and cables so ideally I have 2 cables for the Sky box and 1 for the HD Satellite receiver, not so bothered about the Freesat as Sky should have most of the same programs available. Whats the likely cost and options to install additional LNBs, cables etc. Any help would be much appreciated. I'm in Banchory, Aberdeenshire if anyone knows a reliable installer.

many thanks

Mal

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Put a 60 or 80cm dish up fior the 28E UK channels & keep the big dish for playing with.

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Northants, Midlands UK & Lanzarote, Canary Islands
Also consider a multi LNb set up.

jpsr

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.2 channel master, cm polar mount, 12 inch actuator, Andrews feedhorn, Inverto lnb, Superjack positioner, Dreambox dm 500s, Protek 9600ip, 1m channel master with black ultra & 1m gibertini with technomate twin output lnb on astra 1/2, TM 5200 & 1000
My Location
Mullingar, Ireland

jpsr

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.2 channel master, cm polar mount, 12 inch actuator, Andrews feedhorn, Inverto lnb, Superjack positioner, Dreambox dm 500s, Protek 9600ip, 1m channel master with black ultra & 1m gibertini with technomate twin output lnb on astra 1/2, TM 5200 & 1000
My Location
Mullingar, Ireland
Analoguesat said:
Put a 60 or 80cm dish up fior the 28E UK channels & keep the big dish for playing with.

Sorry, I ment this option is best.

A

archive10

Analoguesat said:

Totally agree. Sky boxes (at least the ones I have had) don't do DiSEqC and thus motorised dishes, and multi-LNB setups require the 28.2 to be first on the switch etc.
Much simpler to have a separate signal chain for the Sky dish.
And probably cheaper too.
Do remember to get at least four cables to the new dish, even if you have a single Sky+ installation (two connections).
You may swap the dish in the not-too-distant future, get multiple LNBs, and hey presto you need more cables.

One important thing: Don't just go for the free-install installer offer from Sky for putting up a mini-dish.
You are likely to get a cowboy installer, who is paid to do it as fast as possible (as you are not paying, at least not in full).
You get cheap cables literally thrown over the roof and fixed with cheap fixings, and a dish position that may not be optimal in all accounts (not just the easiest accessible to the installer).

Find a local installer, advantageously through this forum, who care enough to discuss cable routing, finish, dish colour and positioning etc., and get the right installation for you.

safesurfer65

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Humax HDCI-2000
Motorised 1m dish
My Location
Scotland
Cheers guys for the good response. Never realised I could get it for free, that is interesting. Definately food for thought. Many thanks.

mal