Using Smart DNS, Advice.

Riverblue

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See Signature
My Location
Near Brighton
I am looking to set up a Smart DNS service so that I can access a Geo blocked site. I am proposing to use a Sumvision Cyclone Window Mini PC set up for the Smart DNS server IP address so that I can access content on a (pre smart) HD tv that will be used to watch football and other sports only. By doing it this way I am hoping to avoid any rerouting of any web requests by any other devices set up on my home IP address and keep said devices fully secure, i.e. using the mini PC solely for a Smart DNS set up and keeping everything else separate, but all using my home router (currently the standard plus net fibre set up).
I have researched this but I just want to seek other peoples opinions and advice as this is not my area of expertise. So;
1) Will this work, will I be able to keep my other devices (mobiles, laptops, PC) separate and safe?
2) Can anyone suggest a better way to achieve what I want?
3) Any comments on the mini PC?
4) Will I be able to set the Plus net router up to do what I want, or do I need a different router?

Thanks for any advice given :)

timo_w2s

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.timo.me.uk
My Satellite Setup
See Signature
My Location
Maidenhead, UK & Helsinki, Finland
1. Yes, you should be able to configure the DNS on the mini PC to the SmartDNS provider and that will be all you need to do and everything else connected to your router will continue routing as normal.

2. I think that is the best way, and this is similar to what I do when I'm in Finland. Some of my devices are set to the Smart DNS provider and others aren't.

4. You don't need to touch the router unless you want to run a Dynamic DNS updater on it (if it even supports that). The SmartDNS settings will be updated on the device that needs to be un-geo blocked. You may be able to run an IP address updater on the mini PC itself so it can keep your IP address updated with the SmartDNS provider as they will need to know your current IP address.

smoggy07

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky minidish and Sky + HD 250gig Anytime+ box with full ish appart from sports and movies, Dreambox DM500s clone (Pli Jade3 max var F/W), Motorised 1.1Meter Dish
My Location
middlesbrough, teesside, northeast coast, uk
I'd have thought you could in sense bypass the routers DNS settings and set the DNS server on the PC to the SmartDNS sever address and that "should" override the router DNS (and it should be invisible to the rest of the network routing wise)