Vernon Kay & Paul O'Grady to Resurrect 'Through The Keyhole'

Rachel_Sandford

News Hound
Reaction score
“Who would live in a house like this?”

Through The Keyhole, the classic TV show that snoops through celebrity homes, is returning to television! Vernon Kay is to play the role of house snoop while Paul O'Grady will be the studio host that asks guests of the show to guess whose home they are being shown.

The show was first screened on ITV in 1987. It moved to Sky in the 1990s, then to BBC. BBC's host of choice, Loyd Grossman, whose role Kay is taking over, quit in 2003. Grossman's role was replaced by some female presenters, including Lisa Snowdon, before BBC canceled the show in 2008.

O'Grady is set to take over the role originally held by Sir David Frost, whose company David Paradine Productions owned the rights to the show before it was purchased by Freemantle Media. The company, which also owns The X Factor and Britain's Got Talent believes that Kay and O'Grady, who is likely to inject his unique sense of humour into the show, will make the programme more appealing to a younger audience.

Trish Kinane, Freemantle Media's chief, said in a statement: “It was the first gameshow to celebrate celebrity culture, and there is now a new generation of celebrities all over the world who are eager to take part.”

A TV source said: “Vernon and Paul are the top choices to reinvigorate the show. The whole programme had become stuffy and looked and felt dated. This time there will be a lavish studio, amazing celeb houses and a real sense of fun. Freemantle are confident they can resurrect the show and make it relevant to a celebrity-obsessed audience.”

Freemantle is yet to release a date for when the revamped show will be debuted.

DishDick

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Gran Canaria
Who is Sir David Foster?

sonnetpete

Grumpy Old Retired Moderator and quiz inquisitor..
Reaction score
Website
wordpress.com
My Satellite Setup
Laminas 1.2M fibre dish with an IBU, on a Clarke Tech USALS motor, covering 57E - 24.5W to an Octagon SX88. Displayed on a 20" Dyon LED TV.

Seperate 80 cm dish on 28E with a Humax Freesat for SWMBO.
Free Sat V8 meter. Sony Bravia 46" LCD, Sony BluRay and Home Cinema.
My Location
Normandy, France
I think it's supposed to read 'Sir David Frost'....

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No satellite stuff for the moment (aside from a 43cm minidish that was on the house already), Samsung SyncMaster T27B550 Smart TV & Monitor, and a few computers...
My Location
Near Pontop Pike, Co. Durham
To play on their catchphrase:

"Who would watch a show like this?"

:-rofl2

I'm sorry but that show was just BORING, noseying round houses of people that most haven't even heard of, and the panel sitting there making guesses and the audience clapping like trained monkeys when they might have gotten something right, it's just dull and belongs in the past!!!

I'd rather they brought back Blockbusters in the original Bob Holness format (as opposed to the original US format, or the BBC2 and sky1 variations, though not with vernon kay, he ruined it on that gameshow marathon), using students as contestants, at least that show was intelligent, intellectual and educational, something this country is majorly lacking...

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
Please let me know what channel it is likely to show on so that I can avoid it again.

sonnetpete

Reaction score
Website
wordpress.com
My Satellite Setup
Laminas 1.2M fibre dish with an IBU, on a Clarke Tech USALS motor, covering 57E - 24.5W to an Octagon SX88. Displayed on a 20" Dyon LED TV.

My Location
Normandy, France
2cvbloke said:
....I'd rather they brought back Blockbusters in the original Bob Holness format....

Great idea, if only to hear, "can I have a 'P' please?" again. Doubt if Bob Holness would be presenting as he's 82 now. I'd much rather the fit bird from Countdown hosting, though they'd have to figure out a way of her having to stand up rather than sitting behind a desk.

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
sonnetpete said:
I'd much rather the fit bird from Countdown hosting, though they'd have to figure out a way of her having to stand up rather than sitting behind a desk.

Deft use of a trampoline, and almost any position is possible.

Anyhow, both birds are fit on that show.

Vernon Kay & Paul O'Grady to Resurrect 'Through The Keyhole' .

And the innuendos are about to continue.

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No satellite stuff for the moment (aside from a 43cm minidish that was on the house already), Samsung SyncMaster T27B550 Smart TV & Monitor, and a few computers...
My Location
Near Pontop Pike, Co. Durham
sonnetpete said:
Great idea, if only to hear, "can I have a 'P' please?" again. Doubt if Bob Holness would be presenting as he's 82 now. I'd much rather the fit bird from Countdown hosting, though they'd have to figure out a way of her having to stand up rather than sitting behind a desk.

From a comment I read recently on youtube, he's pretty frail now, so no, I don't think he will be hosting anything again... :)

As for an alternative host, well, I'd rather they chose someone who is respectable rather than what shape their body is, Blockbusters was about the entertainment and education than oggling at someone's breasts or legs, infact, I think Alexander Armstrong could fit the bill, he's pretty good on Pointless (which I like), but, I would say that cos he's of the same bloodline as me, so I'm biassed... :D

Oh, and they should use a revamped version of the original theme by Ed Welch, rather than like what they used on the two sky versions (one appeared after ITV dropped it & sky bought it to keep it going, and then there was the early 2000 version) and most definitely NOT the BBC version which was just awful!!! :-ohcrap

Yeah, I know, I'm picky, but, I know what I like and I like what I know... :D

sonnetpete

Reaction score
Website
wordpress.com
My Satellite Setup

My Location
Normandy, France
2cvbloke said:
....Blockbusters was about the entertainment and education than oggling at someone's breasts or legs....

Spoilsport.....

Seriously though, Alexander Armstrong would be a good choice of host for a revived Blockbusters. He seems to be getting a subtle 'push' from the BeeB, 'Pointless' has been moved to BBC 1 and he's co presenting that 'Weather' special.

.......oh and of course the BBC lost it's reputation for being elitist long ago.........just remind me, which member of the Royal Family is he related to??