Viewing a Flash Drive recording on a PC

saxonmale

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 6800 hd super, V-Box 3 and 1mtr dish. Dell desk top PC with 17inch monitor.
My Location
Nottinghamshire
Hi everyone
this is my first post so I hope I am in the right place for my question.

I have just bought a Technomate 6800 HD Super + and have been experimenting with copying programs to a 2 gb flash drive. I used the Technomate receiver to format the drive before recording and both formatting and recording appeared to work OK. Unfortunately I have, as yet, been unable to view the recording on my PC (Dell desk top running on XP). On checking the flash drive contents via 'My Computer' I find a folder is shown with an accurate desription of the recording i/e BBC World News. The folder contains 3 files - @12c39e48.IDX. @12c39e48.IFO and @12c39e48.TRP which would indicate that the recording was successful.

Can anyone tell me the cause of the problem and how I can 'fix' it ?

saxonmale

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 6800 hd super, V-Box 3 and 1mtr dish. Dell desk top PC with 17inch monitor.
My Location
Nottinghamshire
Can anyone help please? :-MrsC

Thanks

P.S. lastdemon your question is in the wrong place as this thread was started by me. You should start another, separate thread.

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
I've split the post off saxonmale.

I don't have a 6800 so what I'm about to say is a bit of a guess. .TRP will be the actual recording I think. .IDX and .IFO are probably an index file and programme information file (what you get when you press the Info button).

I suspect you're trying to use Windows Media Player which is quite limited in what it understands. My best suggestion is a better media player, perhaps DivX or Classic Media Player. They might understand .TRP files.

althom40

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.2m dish on Astra 28E . Plus Motorized 850cm .
TM3500D and 6800HD receivers. Freecom 1Tb ext-HDD.
Openbox S10 Redline 3000
My Location
Eastern Algarve 37n 08W
PaulR said:
I've split the post off saxonmale.

I don't have a 6800 so what I'm about to say is a bit of a guess. .TRP will be the actual recording I think. .IDX and .IFO are probably an index file and programme information file (what you get when you press the Info button).

I suspect you're trying to use Windows Media Player which is quite limited in what it understands. My best suggestion is a better media player, perhaps DivX or Classic Media Player. They might understand .TRP files.

This is correct but it will run in Win Media Player but first you have to rename the .trp file to a .mpeg file. The Media Classic Player is the best I have found so far.

regards

saxonmale

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Nottinghamshire
Thank you both for the replies it is appreciated. I will do as suggested and let you know how I get on.

Happy New Year.

saxonmale

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Nottinghamshire
Following your advice I downloaded Classic Media Player and in less that 5 minutes I was watching the recording. Brilliant. Many thanks to both of you.

P.S. PaulR you were right about the TRP file, althom40 I didn't change the file to mpeg and it worked OK. The recording was made after the flash drive was formatted (in FAT 32?) and I had changed this to NTFS - would this have made a difference?

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
The change to NTFS won't affect the Windows PC at all but I'm surprised that it worked like that in the Technomate as I undestood that flash drives had to be in FAT or FAT32. Or did I musunderstand that bit?

Anyway, glad it all worked. I use Media Player Classic and I don't think I've found anything it won't play yet. I've had some problems with setting it up with the sound on some files as these were in Dolby but I managed in the end.

saxonmale

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Nottinghamshire
PaulR
I believe you are correct about the Technomate in that the receivers are Fat32 based and, presumably format in Fat32. I don't know enough about PC's (or receivers) to tell you how or why it all worked out but the sequence of events were as follows:-
1) format flash drive in the TM6800
2) record program onto the flash drive
3) put flash drive in PC but unable to view recording :-doh!
4) download Fat32 to NTFS program (after reading on forum that the PC didn't like Fat32)
5) put flash drive in PC and change format to NTFS
6) still unable to view recording
7) submit question on forum
8) download Media Player Classic
9) play recording :):)

Hope you can understand how/why it works and that it doesn't confuse the situation further. Cheers.

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Yep, understand exactly. The change from FAT32 to NTFS had no effect on the PC as it understands both, the problem was with the media player used.

When you want to use the flash drive in the Technomate again you'll have to format it in FAT32 as it doesn't understand NTFS.

saxonmale

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Nottinghamshire
PaulR
thank you for the reply it is appreciated. I will format the drive in the TM6800 the next time I use it and I will dispense with the change to NTFS. Thanks again to everyone.