Viewing Dreambox on PC

Gentleman_1

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dream Box 7025+, Skystar2
My Location
UAE, Dubai
I entered the box IP in a browser and that worked well for viewing its contents and channels on my home PC, however, I tried to access the same IP from a work location but that didnt work. DId I miss something or the box can be accessed from Home computer only?

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
The IP Address is allocated by your Router and is local to your Router only. ie Accessible only via your Home Network.

smoggy07

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky minidish and Sky + HD 250gig Anytime+ box with full ish appart from sports and movies, Dreambox DM500s clone (Pli Jade3 max var F/W), Motorised 1.1Meter Dish
My Location
middlesbrough, teesside, northeast coast, uk
I had no-ip set up and found with the PLI Jade image on my DM500 that when I went to the WebIF from outside of my network and tried to view with VLC, it was trying to connect to the boxes LOCAL IP (i.e. 192.168.2.200) instead of the remote/modem IP (i.e. 89.225.***.**)

To get round this I opened a network stream in VLC and entered my IP address and the correct port (after forwarding it so I could see the box over the net) and it started playing the live TV

Gentleman_1

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UAE, Dubai
The IP on my box also starts with 192.168 (UAE) I tried to enter it in the streaming dialogue box in VLC but I found several options to choose before the process starts which I dont know how to choose. I am not sure what the remote modem IP and where to find it. I need further details pls.

I assume that the box viewing should be like a network camera viewing where you can access the camera anywhare. Why this is not the case here?

Gentleman_1

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UAE, Dubai
I have just learned that there is a program called DreamStream that shows Dream channels on PC. Does this also work from home network only? How do I find out the port to use with the box IP?

smoggy07

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky minidish and Sky + HD 250gig Anytime+ box with full ish appart from sports and movies, Dreambox DM500s clone (Pli Jade3 max var F/W), Motorised 1.1Meter Dish
My Location
middlesbrough, teesside, northeast coast, uk
visit ipchicken.com and this will give the modem IP address (one made up example I will use below is 86.114.325.733), enter this into the network stream area of VLC player along with the port number that the streaming uses, (i.e.: 31344 for the pli jade3 image) and it should start to play (you might need to forward port 31344 on your router to view it outside your home network)

once I have the port 31344 forwarded, I can goto any PC anywhere in the world, open VLC and enter the following into the open network stream window and it plays - hxxp://86.114.325.733:31344 (replace the xx with tt)

The port may differ for other images but thats what it is on the version of pli jane 3 I`m running

Have a read here hxxp://openpli.org/wiki/GenericStream (replace xx with tt)

Gentleman_1

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UAE, Dubai
When visiting the ipchicken.com I got the IP for my computer not the modem. However, the Box IP is easily found in its network setup screen. Now my image is Gemini 4.4 and I could not find its port anywhare. Besides, how to "forward" the port. I am not sure about this one. The tutorial that you provided, though good, it doesnt explain this point.

It seems to me that the streaming that heppens in this case is for one channel on the Box and no control on the box could be done like when it is viewed from within the personal LAN. That is quite a pitty since such control is quite beautiful.