vlc streaming

kdog

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7020 with Vbox positioner. PCs various.
My Location
Somerset
Have a small problem. I use vlc to view the dreambox output and it normally works fine. With all the excitement over 30w I thought I'd try it. The channels decode ok and I can even view a screenshot but try as I may I can't get anything with vlc. All other sats are ok. I'm running through a wired connection at 100mbps so I guess there is enough bandwidth.

I've tried vlc under Windoze and Linux with the same result. Could understand if it failed on all sats. But just one?

Anybody got any ideas 'cos I'm fresh out of them.:confused

Cheers

footylad

Reaction score
Website
zonedhost.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
3X DM800, 1X DM7020, 1.2Meter Gibi + Jaeger 1224 H-H Motor, 80CM Fixed Dish, TV Ports in every room - ZonedHost.com Administrator
My Location
U.K.
what image are you using as engima could be running uncompatble with your version of vlc and is your vlc up to date ?

kdog

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Somerset
Using the latest Gemini. Don't think it can be a compatibility issue as it works ok on all other sats.

kdog

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Somerset
Sorry should have mentioned its the latest vlc under both Linux and Windoze.

footylad

Reaction score
Website
zonedhost.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
3X DM800, 1X DM7020, 1.2Meter Gibi + Jaeger 1224 H-H Motor, 80CM Fixed Dish, TV Ports in every room - ZonedHost.com Administrator
My Location
U.K.
humm looks like a network issue have you changed the circumstances of the box to pc setup after the last time it worked ? as it may be a network problem

kdog

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Somerset
Nope no changes. If I point the dish anywhere other than 30w everything is ok so can't see how it could be a network issue.

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
I have the same problem m8, and I also used to have a problem with Thor. I figured that it must be something to do with the parameters of the stream (SR, FEC etc...) or the efficiency of the decoding (or both) but never nailed it down.

whatsthis

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM7020 Screambox
MAC OSX & windowzz 98SE
Gemini
1664 on tap
My Location
13°E
The only time I've seen this problem is with some scrambled stations. Please don't ask me why because I haven't a clue and got no joy on various forums.

Try it with BBC world (FTA) on different sats.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Strange, if I use VLC, it is fine with non-encrypted channels, or channels decrypted with a CAM like a Reality, but anything which is decrypted by Camd3 or Newcamd does not show.

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
FWIW, and supported to some extent by your observations Rolf, I think it's just that we're at or near the capacity of the Dreambox architecture/processor (as we know from the recent problems with Newcamd over-development/bloatware anyway).

It could either be horsepower related, or maybe a data bus at it's limit.

I bet that there is no problem streaming stuff back from the internal HDD either (already decrypted)...

I reckon it's CPU bound, but affected by the stream-type/encryption-type to some extent.

Anyone got any remote CPU monitoring tools to check this out real-time?
That in itself though would add some processor overhead.

Would be great if this could be solved once and for all by pulling stuff from either the swapfile or main HDD directory via a buffer/cache.

Blimey, I'm boring myself now... I'll get my coat.

kdog

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Somerset
Thanks for all the replies chaps. Just to muddy the waters further I'm using CAM3D and can watch the Taqs on 19 but not on 30. Can't see any FTA on 30 either. Signal level and quality seem ok both 88-90 woth 0 ber.

Can also bring in anything which is available on 30 with an SS2 and MyTheatre/ProgDVB on the Windoze box.

Got me beat.

Cheers.

whatsthis

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM7020 Screambox
MAC OSX & windowzz 98SE
Gemini
1664 on tap
My Location
13°E
It is even worse if you go wireless through a router !

You could try an alternative to the web interfaces. I had better results using DreamXman and idreamx on the mac osx.

footylad

Reaction score
Website
zonedhost.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
U.K.
i think theres a prob with image chsid: channel id for all on 30w are incorrect that the problem image prob

BonceChops

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 500, Dreambox 600PVR, Dreambox 7025+, Dreambox 7000, 1m dish on a Moteck SG2100
My Location
NW England
This might sound daft but have you waited long enough for the channel to start playing on the PC. I find Spice Platinum takes about 4 times as long to start playing than the other channels.

BonceChops

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 500, Dreambox 600PVR, Dreambox 7025+, Dreambox 7000, 1m dish on a Moteck SG2100
My Location
NW England
footylad said:
i think theres a prob with image chsid: channel id for all on 30w are incorrect that the problem image prob

You can enter these into VLC if you know the correct ones to proove your idea. I can't get 30 west do I can't try it myself. Time to fift the dish even higher to get over my neighbours gable end I think.

kdog

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Somerset
BonceChops said:
This might sound daft but have you waited long enough for the channel to start playing on the PC. I find Spice Platinum takes about 4 times as long to start playing than the other channels.

Not a daft idea at all - I even tried leaving it overnight! If it takes that long its much the same as not workingO-Ha

Thanks for the reply anyway.