Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1m motorized dish
dreambox 7020
sky hdd and sky plus
My Location
SL37DG
hi guys
apart from price whats the main difference between two.
i have been offered ultimate for 380. not sure if its worth getting

digi247

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
see sig
My Location
UK
parm21 said:
hi guys
apart from price whats the main difference between two.
i have been offered ultimate for 380. not sure if its worth getting

There has just been a price drop on the Ultimo down to £399 and i have seen the Duo at £269, but seeing as the Duo is nearing its 4th year and the Ultimo is barely 6 months old then probably get the Ultimo.

Main differences would be BCM7335 chipset in the Duo running a Dual 405mhz processor with 128mb flash and 384mb ram. Where as the Ultimo has the BCM7413 chipset running similar 405mhs dual core CPU with 1gb Flash and 512mb ram plus the larger VFD that can also display channel VFD picons as well as onscreen and again has the capability for 3 tuners with 3 slots for Plug & Play tuners.

And with the release probably September of the Dual Plug & Play DVB-S2 tuner will make the ultimo a quad tuner capable receiver, i dont understand why it cannot take a 3rd dual tuner to mke it 6 but must be something to do with either how the drivers handle the tuner cards.

parm21

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1m motorized dish
dreambox 7020
sky hdd and sky plus
My Location
SL37DG
thank u for help
digi247 said:
There has just been a price drop on the Ultimo down to £399 and i have seen the Duo at £269, but seeing as the Duo is nearing its 4th year and the Ultimo is barely 6 months old then probably get the Ultimo.

Main differences would be BCM7335 chipset in the Duo running a Dual 405mhz processor with 128mb flash and 384mb ram. Where as the Ultimo has the BCM7413 chipset running similar 405mhs dual core CPU with 1gb Flash and 512mb ram plus the larger VFD that can also display channel VFD picons as well as onscreen and again has the capability for 3 tuners with 3 slots for Plug & Play tuners.

And with the release probably September of the Dual Plug & Play DVB-S2 tuner will make the ultimo a quad tuner capable receiver, i dont understand why it cannot take a 3rd dual tuner to mke it 6 but must be something to do with either how the drivers handle the tuner cards.

wod

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1m channel master, jaeger smr1224, Inverto black ultra twin, technomate tm-1500ci, broken receiver vantage x221ci, New additions Skybox F5s and technomate tm-5402 HD arriving soon.
My Location
yorkshire
If you can afford it then clearly go for the ultimo.

Think I'm glad I waited as the new price is seriously tempting.

If there is dual tuner cards out in September will it work with 2 dual and 1 single to make 5 as that will be more than enough for most people's setups.

digi247

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
see sig
My Location
UK
Hi wod,

i am not 100% sure why it would not work with 3x Dual tuner cards apart from the official blurb from VU+ stating that on release of the dual tuner in the 3rd quater then the following receivers would have these configs

Uno single tuner to Dual tuner capability

Ultimo 3 tuner capability to Quad tuner

and the yet to be released Duo2 dual tuner to Quad tuner.

so its anyones guess why when the Ultimo has space for 3 tuners that it cannot accept 3 x Dual tuners or as you say 2 x Dual tuners and 1 single making it 5.

I can only think maybe a driver limitation perhaps.

wod

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1m channel master, jaeger smr1224, Inverto black ultra twin, technomate tm-1500ci, broken receiver vantage x221ci, New additions Skybox F5s and technomate tm-5402 HD arriving soon.
My Location
yorkshire
Maybe driver or could be a hardware limitation, bandwidth issue for having 6 tuners recording at once ?

Interesting I did not know about the new duo as if this does quad tuners then no one will buy the ultimo which is meant to be the high end receiver.

I wonder how much these dual tuners are gonna be as I might just get a UNO, stick in a dual tuner and save some dosh ?

digi247

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
see sig
My Location
UK
wod said:
Maybe driver or could be a hardware limitation, bandwidth issue for having 6 tuners recording at once ?

Interesting I did not know about the new duo as if this does quad tuners then no one will buy the ultimo which is meant to be the high end receiver.

I wonder how much these dual tuners are gonna be as I might just get a UNO, stick in a dual tuner and save some dosh ?

That was my reasoning about getting the Uno single tuner now twin tuner in a couple of months and probably still cheaper than a standard duo. But with the same spec as the Ultimo apart from the nand flash and VFD display

I did read that pricing was and this of course is just an estimate around 50 euros, Like i said just a rumour

cokeaddict

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Vu+ Ultimo4K, Uno4K SE, Uno4K, Solo4K, Zero4K, Duo2, SoloSE v1 & v2, Solo2, Ultimo, Uno, Duo, Motorised CM 1.2m dish, Hybrid Titanium Smart Lnb with CM feedhorn and a Zone2 minidish with Inverto Unicable II
My Location
53°E - 45°W
I currently own both a Duo and an Ultimo, in use there very similar (as the images and skins are identical for both receivers), the ultimo is slightly faster in use, but there isn't a huge amount it in.

However the Ultimo supports blindscan and has swappable tuners (aswell as being able to take 3 tuner cards), which when you add in the vfd display, extra memory and the bigger flash, imo makes it worth the extra cash.

Don't get me wrong, I love the Duo too, but as there is only £100 or so between them now (rather than £200+), I think you would kick yourself in the long run for not spending the extra.