Webro HD100 A+ connectors?

john_connett

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No receiver
My Location
Cambridge
Anyone have practical experience / advice for F-type connectors for use with Webro HD100 A+ cable?

I was told that Cabelcon Metal Self-Install™ connectors _www.cabelcon.dk/self-install2010.pdf would be suitable, in particular the F-56 5.1 Self-Install Nitin 99909644-01. However, they were far from easy to push on, possibly because it is a bonded cable. Even when correctly positioned using a considerable amount of force and then tightened the outer part of the connector didn't clamp to the sheath of the cable.

My guess is that compression connectors would be best (Cabelcon UltraEase™, CX3™, ...). Any suggestions?

Unparsed URL - Admin

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
Can you measure the outer diameter of the cable, or possibly take a closeup shot of the end once bared ?

Quite often with crimp connectors it is easier to warm up the cable first. Especially if the reel has been stored in the van before work

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Northants, Midlands UK & Lanzarote, Canary Islands
According to the pdf, HD100+ has a slightly smaller dielectric diameter and outer sheath than WF100 of which the 5.1 self install connectors fit perfect. The self install compression connector is automatically fastening to the cable as the connector is installed.

Webro info sheet: _http://www.webro.com/downloads/tvpage1.pdf

john_connett

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No receiver
My Location
Cambridge
Channel Hopper said:
Quite often with crimp connectors it is easier to warm up the cable first. Especially if the reel has been stored in the van before work

I have also been given the opposite advice - cool the cable. Perhaps warm is appropriate for PVC (WF100) but cool for LSNH (HD100 A+)?

The difficult stage when attempting to fit a Self-Install™ connector is Press the connector over the cable until the dielectric is flush with the post interface. It takes considerable force to push the connector so that the central part goes between the central parts of the cable and the sheath. Not sure if this is because the cable is bonded, the smaller dielectric diameter, or something else.

john_connett

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No receiver
My Location
Cambridge
john_connett said:
Anyone have practical experience / advice for F-type connectors for use with Webro HD100 A+ cable?

An update.

Contacted Thomas & Betts to see if they could offer an F-type connector solution for Webro HD100 A+ cable. From their repy: "I have heard back from our engineers and they confirmed that we do not offer any connector for this cable at all".

Corning Cabelcon have supplied me with samples of their F56 Self-Install™ 4.9, GF-UE-6 03 (4.9 UltraEase™ equivalent), and F56 CX3™ 4.9. The first two suffer from the same problem as the F-56 5.1 Self-Install™ in that it is very difficult to Press the connector over the cable until the dielectric is flush with the post interface. I did manage to fit examples of these two. With the F56 Self-Install™ 4.9 the outer part of the connector was not firmly fixed to the sheath of the cable. It floats backwards and forwards through about 3 mm. I suspect this would not interfere with correct operation. In the case of the GF-UE-6 03 I placed an 11 mm socket over the nut and used a hammer to gently tap it into the correct position. Once compressed the fit is very good. I couldn't see how sufficient force could be applied to the F56 CX3™ 4.9 to achieve the correct cable position within the connector without prematurely compressing it.

I would be interested to hear from anyone who has an easier method to fit F-type connectors to Webro HD100 A+ cable ...

john_connett

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No receiver
My Location
Cambridge
john_connett said:

Update2.

Tried using a flaring tool _http://www.beststuff.co.uk/store/Hanlong-F-Connector-Installation-Tool.htm to see if it would make it easier to Press the connector over the cable until the dielectric is flush with the post interface. Made no discernible difference.

I would still be interested to hear from anyone who has an easier method to fit F-type connectors to Webro HD100 A+ cable ...

OldBen

Mad Scientist
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Triax TD110 with multi LNB 28.5E, 23.5E, 19E, 13E Inverto Black Ultra's (Black Premium on 28.5) into multiswitch. VU+ Duo. Emitor Satlook Lite meter.(Retired: Technomate 1500CI+, Moteck DG2100 DisEqC Motor, Metronic 85cm Clear Dish, Invacom 0.3db LNB
My Location
UK
The HD100 A+ is the triple screened right?

Looking at the data sheet the dielectric is 4.6mm not 4.8mm of common WF100 - perhaps this difference in tolerance is the reason.

I have to ask though, why use this cable, is it for interference reasons? If its just for the LSZH jacket, I thought there was a WF100 with LSZH jacket, like this _http://www.frequencydistribution.co.uk/product/?&s=webro-wf100-lsoh-250m-brown-foamall-copper that would work with all the standard connectors?

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Northants, Midlands UK & Lanzarote, Canary Islands
Triax TX100 is LSF also and should fit the 5.1 self install connectors okay.

john_connett

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No receiver
My Location
Cambridge
OldBen said:
I have to ask though, why use this cable, is it for interference reasons?

A little knowledge is dangerous! My house is being renovated which provided an opportunity to tidy up the coax wiring, replacing surface cable runs and surface outlets with hidden cable runs and flush outlets. Perhaps naively, I picked the highest specification Webro '100' cable on the assumption that this should give me the best chance of being future-proof. Webro Technical Support advised me that the F-56 5.1 Self-Install™ connectors would be suitable. I only encountered problems when I tried fitting the connectors. The Webro HD100 A+ cable now runs through the house. It would be tricky to change it for another variety.

john_connett

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No receiver
My Location
Cambridge
Success! Just had a visit from my local Webro representative. Brought with him samples of a new Cabelcon compression connector specifically designed for HD100 A+ cable. Has a blue band marked CABELCON 7.0. Extremely easy to fit using the WF100 Easy Stripper (55-98501040) and CX3 Pocket Compression Tool (55-98029070).

Will post the part number for this connector when I have it.