What are the dvb-s smart card contents??

Shash

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
insat4-A and high end computer with tv tuner card.
My Location
india
hi all,

what are the contents of a DVB-S smart card ?
if i am right its has
1. user id (one kind of permanent key).
2. decryption algorithm which uses the EMM received along the user key to generate the service key.
3. decryption algo which uses the service key and ECM received to get the control word.

please correct me if m wrong.

apart from this is there any thing else it contains?
since there are weakness in the system is IRDETO or CRYPTOWORKS or any other company using anything else form keeping the smart cards hacked?

if yes what is it? :confused pls help. thanks :)

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
The biggest barrier to people breaching the smart cards is their inability to read the entire contents of the card, as they are multi layered and impossible to access without the use of very sophisticated and extremely expensive laser equipment, certainly not available to the man in the street.

Most recent breaches have almost certainly come from inside information/leaks, not experimentation.

Shash

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
india
Then how do smart card readers work and how is smart card clone done.? to clone the memory must be read to map it exactly. right? i found the above information in my previous post on the net but was not sure abt it.. my aim here is to know CAS fully including how to hack it.

I m also familiar with Card sharing. is card sharing the only way to get pay channels? i have been studying and analyzing STB and CAS systems from last 10 months..

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
Shash said:
how is smart card clone done.?

They are no longer cloned it cannot be achieved without destroying the contents of the original card

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
No-one clones cards these days, and hasnt for very many years. Whilst it was possible a long time ago, that was one of the first security holes sealed up by the encryption companies.

Card sharing is the way to go now, at least until the encryption companies find a way of corrupting their keys so they cant be shared.

Shash

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
india
Thanks for the info guys..

Then what is the latest advancement in the hacking the smart card or in general, watch pay channels for free?:confused

please share some links for any of the latest info regarding CAS hack.

and also the latest developments on the same.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
The encryptions used by the pay tv services in India are about the most seure going, so there are no advances.

No-one in their right mind is going to publish links to any sites with detailed technical information about hacking pay tv services - its illegal and the moderators would remove any dubious links anyway.

You either pay for a subscription or you do without.

Shash

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
india
dood!!

M here to gain complete knowledge abt the system from its working till its vulnerabilities. Possible attempts by some people who might hav failed or succeeded in breaking into the system. I feel Illegal is when i attempt to try to implement. Its not illegal to know how to hack.

I hav been digging the whole of the net for CAS stuff, found some. but may be u guys hav some more stuff which might be of some help in understanding further the CAS system. The system is only as strong as its weakest link. some body MUST hav tried to exploit it. just want to knw how they tried?over the years the system must hav become fail safe. If so what was the difficulties faced by people who implemented it or the people who tried to crack it??

P.S: Plz dont send basic Google links coz i hav already read them. Pdfs, research papers, would help a lot. thanks

regards

HB13DISH

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Middle East - Israel
If this interests you so much and you have the qualifications, then apply for a job with one of the companies involved in encryptions so that you can make their system better, instead of wasting your time trying to find a loop hole. Plenty of knowledge there.
Have you tried to buy any books on the subject?
Knowledge costs.

Shash

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
india
Yeah man tats true.Knowledge cost tats why I am a masters degree graduate in embedded systems, but here in India the scope for these kind of stuff is low. more over DVB-S has just entered the Indian market. so wanting to learn everything abt it, also we don't hav much access to international books coz they are too costly to buy them. more over I hav to import them. so the only way is PDF's or e books or any thing available through net.

may be suggest some books if they are available in Indian market i ll buy em.

HB13DISH

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Middle East - Israel
Shash said:
Yeah man tats true.Knowledge cost tats why I am a masters degree graduate in embedded systems, but here in India the scope for these kind of stuff is low. more over DVB-S has just entered the Indian market. so wanting to learn everything abt it, also we don't hav much access to international books coz they are too costly to buy them. more over I hav to import them. so the only way is PDF's or e books or any thing available through net.

may be suggest some books if they are available in Indian market i ll buy em.

As a graduate, surely you have access to technical library or you can order any interesting books through the library if you can convince the librarian.
As I mentioned before, if the subject interests you, try to apply for a job overseas, as obviously from your post, there isn't much hope locally.
Sometimes you can buy books from Amazon that are not new at reduced cost.
I also buy any good books from overseas as the book shops here stock only the books that I don't need. :-rofl2
Check job opportunities at giants like Viaccess, Conax, NDS, Nagravision, etc.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
That's from 2005 and no longer relevant, things have moved on.