What benefit is a CAM/card?

Snowy

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
Aberdeenshire
Hello all,

It may sound a daft question, but I've just got a 2nd hand Echostar 2110 2CI Via and I'm unclear about a couple of things:

1) With Via1 turning off soon, will I be able to use Via 2 and if so what do I need to do/buy?

2) If I bought say a Mediaguard CAM for the CI slot, what card if any would I need to watch Mg channels on Hotbird13?

When I search around for viewing cards all I find is s_x; don't get me wrong, I'm a normal man, but I'm trying to get some free programms for the kids, and music stuff.

Grateful for any help, thanks.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Have a look in the Matrix Reloaded section Snowy. ;)

Snowy

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
Aberdeenshire
rolfw said:
Have a look in the Matrix Reloaded section Snowy. ;)

Rolfw, many thanks for your reply. I have been looking into the MR as you suggest, but still have confusion as there is so much to know. Can you please advise on the conflicting info about needing a card, either to view channels or to actually programme the cam, since others say that with the right software version the cam will work all by itself. If so, how would I keep it this way in future if keys or whatever change?

Cheers, Snowy.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
You will always need some method of updating the firmware of the CAM, the providers are keen to ensure that you do not get uninterupted viewing. :)

You at the moment require a titanium card to watch certain channels, but this may be solved with the next update.

You can flash the MR with funcards, CAS interface, MutzNutz or laptop with PCMCIA slot.

Snowy

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
Aberdeenshire
This is begining to make sense rolfw.

I do have a laptop, so I'll check if there's a PCMCIA slot. If there is, does that mean that the MR cam will fit into it and can then have the software loaded stright on from file?

Here's hoping..

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Yes, most should work.

There will still be circumstances when a card is required.

This is not a cheap hobby and nothing is long term guaranteed, in fact not even in the short term. :)