What is the best receiver?

G

Gazzah

I think it is time i bought another receiver and would welcome any advice anyone has on what is the best one to buy.

I hear alot about the main three Echostar, Humax and Nokia but which was is the best? At the moment i have a Echostar AD-3000 IP but it looks likes there is something up with the micro processor hence why i am going to buy another one.

Another Echostar appeals to me either the 3600 which i arent sure if it is out yet or the Echostar D-2600. Another Echostar because i am used to the way they work and hopefully would be able to install it myself. It worries me a little if i go for another make i wouldnt be able to install it myself plus i hear the Echostar is the top of the range.

My setup is pretty simple though i have 2 fixed dishes one pointing to Astra and one to Hotbird. I also arent bothered at all about receiving analogue channels.

How do Humax and Nokia compare to Echostar?

I need to make a decision soon as my existing Echostar is a pain in the ass for losing channels just as you are getting into a movie etc.

I would welcome any advice you have on this matter

Kind regards
Gaz

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
From the sound of it Gazzah any receiver with DiseqC will suffice, providing it works well. I can't help thinking that a software update on your Echostar may cure your problems though. :)

All of the receivers you mention work well on a 2 sat setup, so take your pick.

Rolf

G

Gazzah

Thanks for your reply rolf. I must admit that i have given serious consideration to having my existing Echostar receiver repaired. But from the sounds of it the repair will not be cheap and who knows for how long it will last hence the reason i am thinking about a new receiver.

What receiver do you use? I am constantly hearing good and bad things about all the top receivers. I wish i could make my mind up on which receiver to go for either a Humax, Nokia or Echostar.

Obviously with already having had an Echostar i am used to the setup which makes that one slightly favourite but then again my Echostar has now gone wrong and it isnt all that old just over 12mths.

Does anyone know anything about the Echostar D-2600 IP VA? That along with the 3600 off the Echostar site caught my eye.

I have never used or know anyone who has either a Humax or Nokia receiver so i don't know anything about them. Presumably they are pretty similar to the Echostar in how you work them?

I think i'll make a decision and perhaps order one next week.

Cheers
Gaz

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Sorry Gaz, as I use a PentaVision CI PC card I can't comment on the others, but certainly the Echostars have a good rep'. The only reason I went for the one I have was the satellite internet capability, I wouldn't make the same decision now as I no longer use satellite internet ISPs. :) As I said in an earlier post, I would love to be able to afford one of the later Chaparral receivers as I was so impressed with the analogue version (the Monterey) which I was given.

Rolf

2old4this

Honorary Admin
Reaction score
My Location
Cloud Cuckoo Land
The new Echostar receivers' pricipal defining characteristic is their use of the new Echonav software. It';s a question of taste whether you like it or not, but it is certainly more powerful than the software used in the current series of 2500 & 3000.
Have a look at the DVR7000 if you really want an all-singing all-dancing model.

The Humax 5400(Z) is VERY useful. It can be patched to open up Irdeto/Betacrypt, Mediaguard (Seca), Viaccess and Nagravision when used with a suitably programmed card.

2old