What is the difference between a DM8000 and a box from a provider (UK)

TheDream

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Nothing really
My Location
UK
My basic question is how I can utilize and what I can get out of having a DM8000 compared to getting a box from a UK provider, such as Sky.

Apart from the obvious that I can hook the box up with a satellite dish, which is kind of difficult where I live, I have to know of what else cool stuff this can bring.

How does it work with channels that are encrypted? How can I receive those channels? Can I buy a card at Sky or doesn't such exist any more since the introduction of the Box + channels offers?

I get the concept of a box that is Linux based and "open" source, but I still fail to see the capabilities receiving wise of the box. Hope someone can help me understand its full potential.

references to VM & cable removed as per our rules - admin

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Please note we do not permit any cable discussion on this forum - so I will ignore that aspect of the questions

The standard boxes from Sky UK allow Joe Public access to hundreds of channels without having any technical knowledge whatsoever. You take it out of its delivery carton, connect it up and away you go. Its idiot proof. They all operate the same so one in the Channel UIslands will be set up exactly the same as one in the Shetland Islands.

A Dreambox / linux receiver is a high end enthusiasts receiver which is infinitely customisable. You can do all sorts of interesting things with them, BUT they take a long time to learn how they work under the bonnet - you dont take one out of its box and get the best out of it until you have spent hundreds of hours delving "under the bonnet", broken it a few times, and fixed it.

You can watch encrypted Sky channels - but you will still need a subscription :D

Huevos

Satellite Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
57E to 58W, C-band and Ku, DVB-S2, 4:2:2 and blindscan.
My Location
38.5ºN, 0.5ºW
Apart from what AS said other differences are that the DM8000 allows you to control complex aerial systems that allow reception from satellites other than 28ºE. It allows recording without paying additional charges. Lets you save your recordings and replay them on a PC/laptop/etc. And allows you to stream video across your home network, as well as a multitude of other things.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Very true - I have 7 lnb's hooked up to my 7020. :D

TheDream

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Nothing really
My Location
UK
So where can I buy cards that allows me to view encrypted channels?

Is there like a place that sells cards from different providers so that I have a huge pick? Would be nice to see a "complete" selection of cards.

Beside that, since we cant talk about cable in this forum, where can I ask cable/terrestrial questions?

(Sorry I am new to these forums, takes some time getting used to)

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Northants, Midlands UK & Lanzarote, Canary Islands
Terrestrial questions are okay and threads can be generated in the appropriate section Terrestrial

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
TheDream said:
So where can I buy cards that allows me to view encrypted channels?

Is there like a place that sells cards from different providers so that I have a huge pick? Would be nice to see a "complete" selection of cards.

For SKy UK you get the cards from Sky :D

For foreign providers any of the forum sponsors sell them.