What ka stuff receivable in the Uk

rs100

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
CM 1.0 DISH
My Location
UK
What other stuff in Ka band is available in the Uk apart from RTE and data signals ? I can already receive RTE ,

John

Enthusiast.
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Elite 2.2 PF - CM1.8 - CM1.2 - Gibertini 1.25.
Ku - Ka -C & Ext C.
PC cards-TM5402 receivers.
Promax FSM.
My Location
North Nottinghamshire.
What other stuff in Ka band is available in the Uk apart from RTE and data signals ? I can already receive RTE ,

Ka band signal reception footprint strengths in the UK are not as strong as they are in Europe, Southern UK fairs better than the Midlands or further North so realistically a 1.2mtr or bigger is required.
Domestic Tv and feed channels can be found on these satellites - large dishes of 1.8mtr upwards will help on some of the other weaker UK footprints from 21.5° or 23.5° East.
Check the Lyngsat or any of the other channel listings sites for these satellites below and note that different Ka Band types are used on different satellites.

42° & 19.2° East for Ka band A lnb
16° / 7° / 4.9° East for Ka Band D lnb

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
Do you have access to the horizons or are there limits ?

DrCband

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
C-Band 2.4M, Steerable Philips 1.2M and a selection of fixed 1.2M and 1.8M Ch. Master Dishes. GT Media VX8 and Octagon SF8008
My Location
West of Ireland
Ka band signal reception footprint strengths in the UK are not as strong as they are in Europe, Southern UK fairs better than the Midlands or further North so realistically a 1.2mtr or bigger is required.
Domestic Tv and feed channels can be found on these satellites - large dishes of 1.8mtr upwards will help on some of the other weaker UK footprints from 21.5° or 23.5° East.
Check the Lyngsat or any of the other channel listings sites for these satellites below and note that different Ka Band types are used on different satellites.

42° & 19.2° East for Ka band A lnb
16° / 7° / 4.9° East for Ka Band D lnb
For reference, in the West of Ireland on a 1.8m CM dish.
Ka Band A: 42E very weak but can pull in some of the transponders. 19E no decodable transmissions received.
Ka Band D: 16 / 7 and 4.9E no decodable transmissions received.

John

Enthusiast.
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Ku - Ka -C & Ext C.
Promax FSM.
My Location
North Nottinghamshire.
For reference, in the West of Ireland on a 1.8m CM dish.
Ka Band A: 42E very weak but can pull in some of the transponders. 19E no decodable transmissions received.
Ka Band D: 16 / 7 and 4.9E no decodable transmissions received.

Just looked at the Ka footprints for 16° / 7° East Band D Europe 'C' beam and giving that the footprints are reasonable accurate, i'm pretty sure you 'aint going to see anything .
The 4.9° East 'Europe Interconnect' Ka beam is also falling way short of your location.
The 19.2° East Ka 'Europe' beam footprint does show it just putting a very weak edge of footprint at your location but you would probably need something like a 3mtr dish or higher but for what content is on there it's probably not worth the effort and expense of an installation of that size.
The 42° East Ka 'Europe' beam is a bit more favourable for you but your looking at something like a 2.4 mtr or higher to achieve good reliable reception when adverse weather strikes.

DrCband

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
C-Band 2.4M, Steerable Philips 1.2M and a selection of fixed 1.2M and 1.8M Ch. Master Dishes. GT Media VX8 and Octagon SF8008
My Location
West of Ireland
Just looked at the Ka footprints for 16° / 7° East Band D Europe 'C' beam and giving that the footprints are reasonable accurate, i'm pretty sure you 'aint going to see anything .
The 4.9° East 'Europe Interconnect' Ka beam is also falling way short of your location.
The 19.2° East Ka 'Europe' beam footprint does show it just putting a very weak edge of footprint at your location but you would probably need something like a 3mtr dish or higher but for what content is on there it's probably not worth the effort and expense of an installation of that size.
The 42° East Ka 'Europe' beam is a bit more favourable for you but your looking at something like a 2.4 mtr or higher to achieve good reliable reception when adverse weather strikes.
When Ka first went live on 42E a 1.2 CM was sufficient; however, the power seems to have declined somewhat since then. I've never managed to get a sniff of Hellas Sat 39E.

John

Enthusiast.
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Ku - Ka -C & Ext C.
Promax FSM.
My Location
North Nottinghamshire.
When Ka first went live on 42E a 1.2 CM was sufficient; however, the power seems to have declined somewhat since then. I've never managed to get a sniff of Hellas Sat 39E.

Yep your right , i set up a dedicated 1.2 Gibby for Ka band use with an lnb changer a few years ago and it was doing fine, then starting about a year ago i noticed quite a lot of signal reductions on 19.2° / 16° / 7° East to the point where i had to do a Ka lnb side-saddle install on my Cband 2.2mtr PF to get some decent levels back ..