What satellites: Recieve here In North London

southbound

Member
My Satellite Setup
Nothing Yet
My Location
North London
I don't know if this Is the right section to be posting In but I saw ask questions about signal so thought It just might.

First of great forum, I loved looking at other members setup in the picture section, just makes me want to get mine up and show everyone, but the thing Is I only have It In my head at the minute so soon come :)

I want to recieve free sat here In my home In North London Southgate, I don't know what satelites I can get A lock on to because I'm a total newbee so can some list them out for me or link me to A place that can tell me?

Thanks,

southbound
 
Dish size and line of sight dependent.

Small dish (even Sky Zone 1) gets you Astra 2, Astra 1, Hotbird, Atlantic Bird 3, Hispasat and maybe more.

Medium sized dish (up to around 90cm) will get you loads more, right from 58W to 42E and maybe further.

Big dish gets you a few additional Satellites that aren't worth it unless you are dedicated.

Edit: Do you have any special interests?
 
With a reasonable sized motorised dish (80cm or so) you will get something off about two-thirds of the sats in this list:

-http://www.flysat.com/satlist.php

between about 30W & 53E.
 
Tivù said:
Small dish (even Sky Zone 1) gets you Astra 2, Astra 1, Hotbird, Atlantic Bird 3, Hispasat and maybe more.
Usefull information but If I'm doing this I'm going to make the most of It.

It seams like A motorsied dish (100cm) would suit me best. unless there Is anything better that you can tell me about, so I don't go out and get this and wast my money, then realise I can get more satilites once I learn some more. Hopefully If thats the chase someone can save me some money.

I Just really like to know my stuff :)

And does motorised dish have run to A linux based reciever?

Thanks,

southbound
 
I suggest you consider the Gibertini 1.04m if you want a dish that combines decent size with moderate weight and should last many years on a Motor.


Linux is not necessary, or even especially relevant.

Most non-Sky Satellite Receivers are DiSEqC and USALS compliant, meaning they provide the protocols for interfacing with LNB(s) and Motors.

But it would be useful to know if there are any physical restrictions on your line of site for a decent spread of the Clarke Belt?

ie Is your line of sight from South West to South East clear?
 
southbound said:
And does motorised dish have run to A linux based reciever?

Thanks,

southbound

No - many simple receivers will happily run motorised kit.

Theres several senior forum members do installs in the London area, so once you have a better idea of what you want put an "install wanted" post in the wanted section :)
 
Analoguesat said:
No - many simple receivers will happily run motorised kit.

Theres several senior forum members do installs in the London area, so once you have a better idea of what you want put an "install wanted" post in the wanted section :)

That sounds like the easy option, but If I'm struggling then maybe.

One of the satellites I want to recieve Is 42E, and on calculations of going to this website: _www.dishpointer.com the distance of obsticles In meters e.g A tree Is 49.9m and In height messured from the base of the dish Is 17.3 m. As A rule what would be your take on saying OK this satellite I want get A good lock on for my dish want work If the distance is over? (In meters) and the height Is over? (In meters)

And tell me If I'm wrong but without looking It up does A motor move your dish for you?

Thanks,

southbound
 
southbound said:
That sounds like the easy option, but If I'm struggling then maybe.

One of the satellites I want to recieve Is 42E, and on calculations of going to this website: _www.dishpointer.com the distance of obsticles In meters e.g A tree Is 49.9m and In height messured from the base of the dish Is 17.3 m. As A rule what would be your take on saying OK this satellite I want get A good lock on for my dish want work If the distance is over? (In meters) and the height Is over? (In meters)

And tell me If I'm wrong but without looking It up does A motor move your dish for you?

Thanks,

southbound

Because of the way the satellites focus their signals you wont get any channels that broadcast off the east beams of the satellites at 42E.What are your "must have" channels off 42E?
 
Topper said:
Of course once it has been setup on the arc correctly

DISH SETUP: Single sat, Multi-Sat & Motorised systems

Yeah I thought so man, that just makes life so much easyer.


Analoguesat said:
Because of the way the satellites focus their signals you wont get any channels that broadcast off the east beams of the satellites at 42E.What are your "must have" channels off 42E?

Ideman TV

Trt

I am so confused mate, you said between about 30W & 53E and surley 42E Is A def ?

What About 53 W want I be able to pick them channels up either,

Sport channels mate....

southbound
 
What you need to realise is that many satellites use a shaped beam that transmits into specific areas, and reception outside that area is either very difficult or impossible. And you have chosen channels that fall into that category :D

So Idman TV on 42E - its firing into Turkey on the Turksat 3A Eastern beam. You will need a dish 3-5m in diameter to get that one in western Europe. :-rofl2

As for Sports Max on 53W - well thats firing into the Americas on a weak C-band beam. You probably need a 5-10m dish to get that in in the UK :-lmao

Forget it - basically they aint going to happen.
 
Ok man, I'm with you on that. I'm still going to get a dish though, I really want to understand how It all works I could read for hours and hours or I could just go out and get one and play about with It.

On A Gib would It be better to have A Multi Feed Holder with multipul LNBS Or Is having 1 LNB and A motor just the same once you programe the remote to lock onto your chosen satelilite, say for example you just have 1 LNB on your gib and you want to check out the channels on 42e now that theres nothing you like on 19e so you tell your box to scan 42e and your dish because of the motor locks onto 42e without you having to actullly do anything physical other then use the memote, or does It work like that?

southbound
 
Get yourself a dish and go and play :D

I started with a second hand 60cm dish propped up on 3 housebricks with a stick jammed into the back of it to stop it blowing over! I moved onto the famous car tyre when I found the bricks were knocking the paint off the dish.

:D

You can pick up kits from B&Q or Screwfix which are perfectly adequate to start exploring, and have the advantage they are cheap enough so if you find you arent interested you havent invested loads of money.

If the hobby grabs your attention then you can buy something better later. (or pick it out of a skip - Ive got several perfectly decent dishes that way!)
 
Aww,I love skips, when I was younger I found An old VHS machine Inside so took It home, opened It up, one of the heads just come out of place were they use to hold the video tape, so I just put that back In and I was so proud!

Yeah man I'm just going to go play , and I'll properly be back on to ask questions as you do, thanks for the insights.

southbound
 
Back
Top