Where am I going wrong?

moordown66

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
I’ve set up fixed dishes many a time and have been helping a friend with his. It’s an 85cm (I think) dish and we’re looking to line up Astra 1, Astra 2 and Hotbird on it. The dish in question is an Inverto Multiconnect with the slim LNB’s. see here -http://www.inverto.tv/products/product.php?section=3&id=112&cat=19]
I have set up Astra 1 as prime focus with Hotbird to the right of it as you look at the dish. I’m getting fantastic strength and quality off of these two but I’m really really struggling to get a decent fix on Astra 2. There are no obstructions and I simply can’t see why we’re not getting it properly. For example – getting about 40% picture quality off BBC HD. I’ve done this so many times on my own heath robinson set up’s without any trouble at all.
Anyone got any suggestions for me as I’m baffled!

[fieldset=Admin]no live links allowed[/fieldset]

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
I would have thought 85 cm would be too small for a triple lnb set up but am willing to be proved wrong

moordown66

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
I've got it working at home on an old 80cm 'analogue' Sky dish so as far as I can see 80cm is absolutely fine. Maybe being in the SE help with that? So I don't think that's the problem.

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Northants, Midlands UK & Lanzarote, Canary Islands
You need to account for the elevation differences. Astra2 is lower in the sky so the LNb needs to be raised on the bracket.

moordown66

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Yep - done all the but to no avail. Have a look at the link - you'll see the bracket rises itself. Have tried it more/less left/right but to no avail. Wi=ondering if it's something specific to the dish design?

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
I would guess you don't have the correct dish alignment then.

Take the LNb off and try for 28e by hand.

Can you post a picture of the dish so far.

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Well the skew of that 28E LNB could be critical ............ as you are "out on a limb", so to speak, the efficiency isn't too hot to start with (though I think it should be ok if properly done).

You could try to calculate the required skew, but 28E is an odd beast anyway as there is "pre-skew" built in by the way the Satellites are orientated and set up.

So try altering the skew of the 28E LNB by experiment and see if that improves matters.

moordown66

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
I can probably get one tomorrow. Where could I have gone wrong with the alignment, bearing in mind I've got Astra 1 and Hotbird in so massively?

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
moordown66 said:
I can probably get one tomorrow. Where could I have gone wrong with the alignment, bearing in mind I've got Astra 1 and Hotbird in so massively?

As stated, perhaps the 28E LNB skew needs tweaking?

moordown66

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Here's some pictures. The one with the whole dish pictured is l-r Astra 2, Astra 1, Hotbird.

Attachments

• DSC02947.jpg
    DSC02947.jpg
    353.7 KB · Views: 53
  • DSC02953.jpg
    DSC02953.jpg
    360.5 KB · Views: 52

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Is that an In-line Amp I see?

Is it in the 28E feed?

Best to remove it or you are likely to get misleading results during alignment.

They are only for compensating for losses on long cable runs and they cannot improve the Quality of the received signal - because they add Noise of their own.

Huevos

Satellite Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
57E to 58W, C-band and Ku, DVB-S2, 4:2:2 and blindscan.
My Location
38.5ºN, 0.5ºW
moordown66 said:
Here's some pictures. The one with the whole dish pictured is l-r Astra 2, Astra 1, Hotbird.
Mate that is set up so wrong. Start by skewing the bar 15º. You want the east end of the bar lower than the west end. So the west end of the bar is about 12 minutes past and the east end is 18 minutes to.

Also, by the look of it, both the 28ºE LNB and the 13ºE LNB are higher than the 19ºE LNB. The 13ºE LNB should be the lowest, next 19ºE and then 28ºE is highest.

Doesn't appear to be any LNB skew either, and in fact 28ºE LNB looks to be skewed in the wrong direction.

What is the location of this set up?

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
On closer inspection, that Amp is in the 28E Feed.

To be honest, not only would I remove that, I'd also remove the DiSEqC switch and connect the main cable direct to the 28E LNB for now.

Amp = Noise

DiSEqC = Loss

Go "au naturelle" until you're satisfied with 28E.

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
As mentioned in post #13, the LNb for hotbird should be below the height of the prime LNb. It's a mirror image of the East side arc.

Make sure you align the dish on the prime as suspected you've tweaked to get 13e in.

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
And just for clarity, the 40% Quality figure you mentioned for BBC HD at Post #1 .............. I assume that you actually have no picture at all, as opposed to a marginal one?

That being the case, the Quality reading you get will be the quiescent one that indicates little more than than power is reaching the LNB. If you massively detune the dish/LNB you'd get a similar reading ................ (and. of course, no picture!)

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
TM6800HD, TM1000, TM600 Linux,TM2200 motor, Channel Master 1.2m motorised, TD110 dish Meter=Satlook Micro+G2 NIT
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
Assuming that the dish is on 19E, the 28E doesn't look to bad, the 13E is way off as already said.

What you can di is to unbolt the lnb, and slowly move it about until you find the right spot, then clamp it there.

BTW, pic below may help, I think its the same dish, its one I'm working on at the moment, all 3 sats 28E,19E,13E working very well.

Attachments

• IMG00322-20100604-2035.jpg
    IMG00322-20100604-2035.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 43

moordown66

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Thanks for the info. Will try and answer the questions.
Set up is in Herts,
Getting a huge signal and quality from Astra 1.
Getting a huge signal and quality from Hotbird....so if it's way off as mentioned, why move it? The issue isn't with Hotbird.
Am getting a picture off BBC HD on Astra 2 with occasional break up. Quality is 40%, not strength.
Will try these suggestions out tomorrow and see what happens.
More suggestions are always welcome!

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
TM6800HD, TM1000, TM600 Linux,TM2200 motor, Channel Master 1.2m motorised, TD110 dish Meter=Satlook Micro+G2 NIT
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
Ahh, you posted justed as I was editing, see new pic added, may help.

Huevos

Satellite Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
57E to 58W, C-band and Ku, DVB-S2, 4:2:2 and blindscan.
My Location
38.5ºN, 0.5ºW
moordown66 said:
Getting a huge signal and quality from Hotbird....so if it's way off as mentioned, why move it?
Because it's not in the right place. If you have 3 LNBs on the bar and one is set so far out it can be seen in a photo it is certain there is a knock-on effect to the other LNBs. BTW, robbo's picture is really helpful because it shows how the bar should be skewed.