Which programmer?

mr_boyson

Reaction score
Simple question: Which programmer do I need to be able to programme Fun6, M2, Tit etc.?

Will a basic serial smart-mouse progger work or do I need to spend some more money and buy an Infinity USB jobby?

Cheers guys,

mr_boyson

Razor

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Ireland
IF you buy an Infinity USB jobby?

Make sure it is a Phoenix Infinity USB jobby?

As MII and Tit can only be programed in Phoenix mode.

mr_boyson

Reaction score
Razor,

Thanks for your fast reply.

The "Phoenix Infinity USB jobby" is between 2-4 times more expensive than a serial Smart Mouse / Phoenix programmer which will work in the 3.58 MHz Phoenix mode and the 6 MHz Smartmouse mode.

Are there any major advantages of buying the Infinity progger or will a basic serial progger do?

wolfav

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
two sky+amstrad boxes
technomate5500ci+ with 80cm motarised dish irderto cam mr mrev +dragoncam blue tit numerous fun cards infinity pheonix compaq and dell on wirelessrouter
My Location
no mans land
i didnt listen and got robbed infinaty is the way to go i can sell u a half decent programer if ya wantit infinity pheonix is the light

john_graydon

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Azbox premium HD+,Dusty Dreambox 7000s,& Sky HD.
My Location
Dublin....Ireland
wolfav said:
i didnt listen and got robbed infinaty is the way to go i can sell u a half decent programer if ya wantit infinity pheonix is the light

You could also go for cas 2 + add on.

Mickha

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.2M Channel Master, 1224 motor, VU+ Duo 2
My Location
North West
Hi mr_boyson,
to use the Infinity/Phoenix your computer/laptop requires a dedicated Com port, as it needs to be connected using a serial and USB cable. If your computer doesn't have this facility you would be better off getting a Phoenix programmer that works just off the USB cable. There are a couple of these about, I've heard of, 1 being the CAS 2 + add on, the other being an adteknik model.
Best wishes
Mickha

mr_boyson

Reaction score
Thanks for all your replies.

Sound likes the Infinity USB Phoenix is the one to go for but, What's the advantage of getting a progger with USB interface when a basic £10-15 serial smartmouse/phoenix progger works in phoenix mode?

I don't mind spending the extra money, but need to know it's worth it!

Razor

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Ireland
You need to do the same thing we all do.....Look in your head first...Then your pocket.

Then pick one....LOL.

mr_boyson

Reaction score
:ch3

Yes Razor, I like that one!!

Guess I'll be using my flexible friend!!

Milkybarkid

Reaction score
I have Infinity Phoenix and my computer has serial com ports.

Why do some laptops not have serial com ports ?

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
'Cos they're stupid. If you ask the manufacturers, they'll just say 'Legacy', like that's supposed to make it all better.

BTW, from the MII readme it says :-

"U can use any Phoenix programmer as long as it can communicate on 3.58 Mhz in phoenix mode ( not smartmouse mode )", although in the same breath they also recommend the Infinity USB Phoenix.

HTH.

damhy

Reaction score
My Location
Kent
I recently bought the Duolabs Dynamite from unapit.com, programmer works very well, well after I found the correct serial cable to get the phoenix mode to work. Future drivers are supposed to do com port emulation over usb, but with sat stuff you're always promised things and never get them.

The only problem it has given me which my old (non pheonix) infinity programmer didnt was the funcard type detection. The inifinity knew i was using say a funcard 6. The duolabs, just says its a funcard and defaults to Funcard2, which nearly messed up my Cam when it missed out part of the firmware. Luckily the loader card sorted it out otherwise I would have been f...ed. Obviously you are supposed to select which funcard it is, after it has done the initial detect.

Just thought I'ld mention this programmer but if Mr Boyson is anything like me, i would have got impatient and ordered a programmer before anyone had had a chance to reply to my question.

mr_boyson

Reaction score
Thanks for all your input guys and Merry Christmas to you all!

I have not purchased anything yet, although I think I shall probably be buying the Infinity Phoenix USB. Although it seems to do everything that a basic serial smartmouse/phoenix progger does I am hoping that I will be "future proofing" myself by getting a progger that works with USB (and also better driver support?).

Any other feeback is, as always, very welcome!

cheers,

mr_boyson

damhy

Reaction score
My Location
Kent
Apart from the specific software that comes with the programmer, all 3rd party stuff that I know of actually works via the serial port.

I dont really see this changing myself because from a programming perspective using the comm port allows you to write more generic software. There are obviously phoenix and smartmouse standards. Using the comm port you are able to write the software using these standards, the programmer knows how to understand them; even without the drivers installed on the computer, these 3rd Party comm port apps will probably work.

This is not the case when writing software for the USB port. Using the USB will require either some new standard to be introduced, which I doubt will happen for programmers. Without a new USB programmer standard(which of course is unlikely to work on the old equipement that you would be buying now) the software writers need to cater for every single programmer, which is a huge undertaking, just look how many there are. Sure they might make the effort for the popular ones like inifinity, but its all going to be a lot more work, and you'll start to find that instead of just needing a particular card like the (M2) you'ld end up needing a specific programmer for it as well(I shouldnt give them money making ideas like this).

As for usb having the latest drivers, I think you are better off looking at the make, the more popular ones like infinity are bound to have better driver support in the future, though like I said for as long as they use serial port connections, I'm not sure you actually need the drivers really, since the usb is not being used.

Skint

Reaction score
damhy said:
Apart from the specific software that comes with the programmer, all 3rd party stuff that I know of actually works via the serial port.

I dont really see this changing myself because from a programming perspective using the comm port allows you to write more generic software. There are obviously phoenix and smartmouse standards. Using the comm port you are able to write the software using these standards, the programmer knows how to understand them; even without the drivers installed on the computer, these 3rd Party comm port apps will probably work.

This is not the case when writing software for the USB port. Using the USB will require either some new standard to be introduced, which I doubt will happen for programmers. Without a new USB programmer standard(which of course is unlikely to work on the old equipement that you would be buying now) the software writers need to cater for every single programmer, which is a huge undertaking, just look how many there are. Sure they might make the effort for the popular ones like inifinity, but its all going to be a lot more work, and you'll start to find that instead of just needing a particular card like the (M2) you'ld end up needing a specific programmer for it as well(I shouldnt give them money making ideas like this).

As for usb having the latest drivers, I think you are better off looking at the make, the more popular ones like infinity are bound to have better driver support in the future, though like I said for as long as they use serial port connections, I'm not sure you actually need the drivers really, since the usb is not being used.
Has anybody tried a 9 pin serial/USB adapter as a workaroud for us poor souls that have ultra modern computers that don't have com ports

I ask this because I,v just ordered a Phoenix Infinity USB jobby and a tit card

before realizing how important a serial port was ahgggggggg

Im going to try an adapter plug (from Mapli*s) before digging my old win98 computer out of its retirement cupboard

Mickha

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.2M Channel Master, 1224 motor, VU+ Duo 2
My Location
North West
Hi Skint,
I've read many posts on the problems of the Infinity/Phoenix USB and the need for a dedicated com port, and I've only seen 1 working solution to the problem. This involved a PCMCIA to serial adapter, but I can't remember where it was from, I know of a lot of people that have tried USB to Serial adapters without success, but perhaps you might be the lucky one.
Best wishes
Mickha

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
I can't believe how expensive this is, but have you thought about replacing the essential bits that the current batch of boards have seen fit to remove for no good reason?

_http://www.pcnextday.co.uk/product_detail.asp?stype=5&productcode=2910-1120&group=IOSER&pgroup=IO

STICK

adrianmac

Reaction score
damhy said:
I recently bought the Duolabs Dynamite from unapit.com, programmer works very well, well after I found the correct serial cable to get the phoenix mode to work. Future drivers are supposed to do com port emulation over usb, but with sat stuff you're always promised things and never get them.

The only problem it has given me which my old (non pheonix) infinity programmer didnt was the funcard type detection. The inifinity knew i was using say a funcard 6. The duolabs, just says its a funcard and defaults to Funcard2, which nearly messed up my Cam when it missed out part of the firmware. Luckily the loader card sorted it out otherwise I would have been f...ed. Obviously you are supposed to select which funcard it is, after it has done the initial detect.

Just thought I'ld mention this programmer but if Mr Boyson is anything like me, i would have got impatient and ordered a programmer before anyone had had a chance to reply to my question.

Can you tell me where you got the serial cable as i have same problem

tks

Skint

Reaction score
BGonaSTICK said:
I can't believe how expensive this is, but have you thought about replacing the essential bits that the current batch of boards have seen fit to remove for no good reason?

_http://www.pcnextday.co.uk/product_detail.asp?stype=5&productcode=2910-1120&group=IOSER&pgroup=IO

STICK
Cheers guys I'm picking up a pci serial port card tomorow from me local Mapl*ns store:chthumb

adrianmac

Reaction score
can someone help loaded 28/12/04 titanium nagra files on blue tit using a mat rev cam and picture still black

any clues

tks