Which Satellite to choose?

coops

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
I am about to buy a fixed dish system, as motorized is out of the question at the moment.

I have a Skystar 2 card.

Would I get more channels that can be encrypted viewing 13e/19e or just pointing at 1w or 30w.

Originally I was going to get a twin LMB to view 13e/19e, but it seems that alot of the encrypted channels cannot be decoded with the Skystar 2.

So I was going to just get a single fixed dish pointing at 1w only.

But, I hear that Conax may be changing.

What would you do?

Coops

p.s. I am buying at 88cm dish, I cannot go any bigger. Does this rule out the West sats. I am in South East of UK. Looking to view football.

Thanks

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Go for 1 West Coops, the worst that can happen is that you have to move it. You should be able to pick up some football with the 88cm.

coops

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Would I be able to buy:
88cm Triax dish, Triax 6 degree bracket, Two Fortec Star 0.5dB LNBs.
2 way Diseqc switch & Triax wall mounta 2 lmb system (Designed for use with Hotbird and Astra)

and set it up on 1w and 5w to view Canal + fr which is encrypted using SECAM (and/or?) Nagravision?

Coops

satellite eye

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
yes i used a setup some time ago with a 1mtr lenson heath dish and a offset bracket, i fixed the dish on 1degree west and used a second in those days a telecom lnb on the bracket, in the end i motorized the lenson dish to receive more satellites which is neater then having a additional dish also on astra.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
@ Coops, the Canal+ channel on that satellite is in analogue, SECAM is a transmission standard for analogue signals, like PAL I is in the UK. It would also be in black and white only, unless you have a SECAM compatible TV.

coops

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
ahh, I see. I'll forget 5w then.

I've had a look at football sites and compiled a list of channels that show some premiership football on 19e/13e/1w.
I only included channels that can currently be decoded using the Skystar.

Canal+ Denmark 1 West Conax
Canal+ Finland 1 West Conax
Canal+ Bla 1 West Conax
Canal+ Norway 1 West Conax
Canal+ Sweden 1 West Conax
Canal+ ZAP 1 West Conax
NRK1 1 West Conax
TV2 Norway 1 West Conax
TV4 Plus (Sweden) 1 West Conax
BKTV Sat 13 East FTA
Canal Algerie 13 East FTA
Canal+ France 13 East Seca 2 / Viaccess
Canal+ Rood 13 East Irdeto / Seca
ARD Das Erste 13 East FTA
Polsat 1 13 East FTA
C5 (Canale 5) 13 East FTA
DSF 13 East FTA
RTL 13 East FTA
Premiere Sport CL2 13 East Betacrypt
ORF1 13 East Irdeto
Canal+ Blauw 13 East Irdeto / Seca
NED2 13 East Irdeto / Seca
RTL5 13 East Irdeto / Seca
SBS6 13 East Irdeto / Seca
Polsat Sport 13 East Nagravision
Eurosport 13 East PAL
Canal+ Vert 13 East Seca 2 / Viaccess
TF1 13 East TPS Crypt
HRT-TV3 13 East Viaccess
SF2 13 East Viaccess
SLO-TV2 13 East Viaccess
RTPi 19 East FTA
Sport+ 19 East Seca 2 / Viaccess

Obviously the Canal+ package on West1 looks tempting, but I will be gutted if they change it from Conax(anyone know when we will know?) I'll be screwed.

So if If I buy a 2 LMB system and set it up to see west1 on the first LMB and just leave the second LMB up there basically doing nothing. Is it easy enough to move the dish to receive 19e and 13e on the second LMB?

I am not installing this as I'm crap at this type of thing. I just want to make it nice and easy on myself when the installers have gone if I have to change it.

If I bought an angle and sat meter I should be able to acheive this? I guess what I am asking is that if the dish is set up to see West1 does that mean I will be able to see the east sats from where the dish is physically fixed?

Finally, one last stupid question, on the list above it says for example that Canal+fr on 13e is encrypted using Seca 2/Viaccess.
Does this mean it is being encrypted in both or as long as I can encrypt one of them I will be okay?

Thanks for taking the time to read this, I just want to get this right before I take the plunge.

Cheers

Coops

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Depending on which LNB mount they use, you might be able to pull in both 1W and 13E using a DiseqC switch, that would at least give you some flexibility if 1W changes encryption. In the south and the Midlands, I can get 1 West with a 63 cm dish so you should have a good chance of getting both.

If any channels are listed in simulcrypt with Viaccess, then you should be able to receive them, but for how long is another matter.

coops

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
An Update:

I finally received my system and the installer was due round today.

He didn't end up installing the dish because he thought I had ordered a monoblock system rather than a flexi block system.
He said this meant it would take too long to install today(I hadn't looked at the instructions for the block at this point, I had a look after he went and it was very very simple, even I could do it). He also said that the Diseqc switch was not waterproof and so if he installed it and it then got wet, it would (in his words)"Be my fault and not his"

So, I phoned another installer, explained the situation and he sounds a lot more savvy. He is coming tomorrow.

One other thing the original guy said was(and this leads to my question) was that the wall I wanted it on(east) is no good. I would need it mounted on the south wall. This is the bit I need to check. I'm not that confident that original guy knew what he was talking about.

So the system I have is at :

http://www.satellitesuperstore.com/fixed-dishes.htm

It comes with a triax wall mount(about a third of the way down the page). From the picture it looks like it could be mounted on an east wall to face south.

I already have a sky dish on the east wall that is pointed at around 2.00 o'clock if you are looking at it from behind the dish(If that makes any sense!)

My question(finally) is do you think I could get the dish fitted on this wall. I know it's a difficult question to answer without seeing it but, if you look at the sky dish it looks as though it could easily be moved 15 degrees west to point at Hotbird from it's current position. The problem I have is that it can't be mounted on the south(ish) wall as it will be too exposed to vandalism.

Cheers

Coop

jimbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky HD, TM6800HD, Manhattan Plaza ST550 and TM1500 CI+. 1.0m dish and 36v motor, Panasonic DVD HDD recorder and Panasonic video/DVD recorder. Sony G800 HD TV stand/surround system + Sony KDL40W2000. Infinity USB, Elvis, CAS1, CAS2.
My Location
Greater London
Hi Coops

Yep 2.00 O'clock makes sense. I suppose the point is, on a true easterly wall you should be able to pick up any signals east of south but the wall would be in the way for anything west of south. Unless of course it's at the top and the lnb has a clear sight of anything westerly.

coops

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Got it all installed okay on the east wall. Installed ProgDVB and got all the channels. Everything works great.

I only get mono sound though, is there anything I can try.

Cheers

coops

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Ignore the last post, it's all sorted.

Thanks to everyone that has helped me get started with all this.
I really appreciate it.

coops