Why 9E?

rixy

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000
My Location
UK
Ok my pole is level the motor (DXM-7000) is setup for the correct latitude (53 degrees). Also the dish is set to what the manual says is the dish angle (22.4).

Then why am I getting 9E on 13E?

G

Could be any one of, or several of, quite a few things.

Firstly, how have you measured Azimuth? Doing it with a Compass is not at all accurate ................

Secondly, you can only ever use things like Motor Latitude setting, Dish Elevation setting as guides - it simply isn't possible to set them dead accurate "by eye" as it were. They are used as starting points for manual micro-alignment.

Thirdly, however accurate you think you've been, whenever you tighten a bolt or a clamp, things tend to shift a bit.

Fourthly, you don't say what size Dish you are using, but if it is 80cm or below, then the Beamwidth is not that narrow, so if you are a degree or so out in Azimuth you would still get a strong Satellite like 9E. A bit more than a degree and you'd find that 13E would begin to dominate.

So ................... don't worry to much about exactly why, just shift the Dish/Motor assembly around the pole a tiny bit further East to get on the correct Satellite!

rixy

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000
My Location
UK
Thanks for your post.
It's 1.1 Metre dish not sure of the make

G

rixy said:
Thanks for your post.
It's 1.1 Metre dish not sure of the make

1.1m Dishes are quite difficult to set accurately in Elevation, but you must be near enough as you are actually getting 9E (The difference in Elevation between 9E and 13E is no more than a gnat's).

As I said, don't think to hard about this - just shove the entire Motor/Dish around the Pole a couple of degrees and peak on a 13E Transponder.

Quite frankly, the fact that you hit an adjacent Satellite first time with just calculated measurements applied to Dish and Motor scales means you've done a grand job!