Why are BBC iplayer programmes encrypted?

Jumpstart

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Motorised dish
My Location
North East
Okay, I may not know as much about 'tech stuff' as the experts on here do, but it really bugs me how I can't download a BBC programme off their iplayer and convert it to avi to play on my DVD player.O-st

Yes, I know there are copyright restrictions and all that but anyone with a VCR, DVD recorder or computer can record BBC programmes when they're aired.

This can be done off Freeview, analogue, or from satellite (fta) all over Europe. So what's the big beef, why are they ENCRYPTING BBC programmes that prevents viewers converting them?

Why is it super encrypted in a file that appears to look like mpg4?O-st

I have tried loads of software programs to convert these mpg-4 files but they never work. Can anyone help? Cheers. :D

Jumpstart

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Motorised dish
My Location
North East
Okay, I may not know as much about 'tech stuff' as the experts on here do, but it really bugs me how I can't download a BBC programme off their iplayer and convert it to avi to play on my DVD player.O-st

Yes, I know there are copyright restrictions and all that but anyone with a VCR, DVD recorder or computer can record BBC programmes when they're aired.

This can be done off Freeview, analogue, or from satellite (fta) all over Europe. So what's the big beef, why are they ENCRYPTING BBC programmes that prevents viewers converting them?

Why is it super encrypted in a file that appears to look like mpg4?O-st

I have tried loads of software programs to convert these mpg-4 files but they never work. Can anyone help? Cheers. :D