Why do I ALWAYS get at least SOME sparklies?

dvmedia

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1m Orbital Motorised Dish, Fixed 65cm Fortec Dish on Astra 1, Fixed 45cm Minidish on Hotbird, Pace MSS500, TM-5600D CI USB Super, Nokia 9800s, Skystar USB 2, Grundig Sky Digibox, Manhattan Plaza XT-M
My Location
High Wycombe, Nr London, UK
Why do I always get at least some sparklies?

I've used 3 different dishes and 3 analogue recievers in the past..

I can often get some channels, ie. CNBC without any sparklies, and Eurosport with very very few..

But most of the time I have at least a couple invading my analogue picture..

Now I'm not really complaining as I use digital, and even when I did watch analogue a couple of sparklies didn't bother me. - It's just all you guys seem to get near perfect reception!

I use a 60cm black mesh dish, and in theory I should be able to get sparkly free reception with such a dish, except on the weakest of the weak (ie. MTV)

I don't use a signal meter (is this the problem?), I just get my TV and Analogue stb in the garden and do it by whats on the screen...

I have adjusted the dish from left to right, and the elevation, and my optimum is still not perfect.

Something I did think of was the "Skew", which I've heard of, but I'm not really sure about this.

It would be nice to overcome this problem, because if I could get sparkly free reception then it would probably increase my 19.2e digital signal as well (which is about 70% strength and quality on most transponders)

Thanks guys,

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
DreamBox 7000s - Nokia Freeview - Several GameBoys - DS Lite - ZX81 - SNES - N64 - Saturn - Dreamcast - PlayStation - PS2 - Gamecube - PSP - iPod - iPhone - XBox - PS3 - Wii - iPad - No Life!
My Location
Scotland
dvmedia said:
I don't use a signal meter (is this the problem?)

Sounds like you need to 'tweek' the dish if you're near a Lidl on 1st September they are selling meters for £3.99.

This will allow you to set the dish up without moving the TV into the garden.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Plus, Skew is very important, a few degrees off and you have sparklies.

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
I would have thought the Pace Prima has a single bandwidth tuner, which is designed as a compromise of the 20/27 and 36 MHz transponders. So no matter what you have coming in to the system, the receiver is not processing it corrctly.

If you find CNN is particularly troublesome, there is also the possiblily of a knotch at this frequency in the IF chain, dodgy connectors, lossy cable run, iffy LNB, or again the tuner in the Pace.

dvmedia

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1m Orbital Motorised Dish, Fixed 65cm Fortec Dish on Astra 1, Fixed 45cm Minidish on Hotbird, Pace MSS500, TM-5600D CI USB Super, Nokia 9800s, Skystar USB 2, Grundig Sky Digibox, Manhattan Plaza XT-M
My Location
Does a signal meter have any added advantage over getting out the telly and analogue box? is it any better? (aside form the physical work needed to bring them downstairs)

How would I go about skewing the LNB? How badly could I mess things up basically..?

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Skew just means twisting the lnb round in its housing or clamp a bit. Unless the dish is 40 feet up a wall you cant really b*gger it up. If its a circular dish with clamp fittings, slacken the bolts off a couple of turns and tweak away. If its a sky dish the lnb is in a plastic housing, just knock the lnb cable feed round a few degrees.

dvmedia

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Analoguesat said:
Skew just means twisting the lnb round in its housing or clamp a bit. Unless the dish is 40 feet up a wall you cant really b*gger it up. If its a circular dish with clamp fittings, slacken the bolts off a couple of turns and tweak away. If its a sky dish the lnb is in a plastic housing, just knock the lnb cable feed round a few degrees.

Thanks analoguesat! WIll be sure to give it a go when this rain goes away :(

Wish I'd done this last night when I was re-aligning then..

Ah well, so much for summer weather :-doh!

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
When you come down to basics sparklies are down to (lack of) signal strength.

Just black or just white sparklies mean that the channel isn't tuned in exactly. If you've put the correct frequency in for the channel then have a look in the menu somewhere for for something called LNB frequency offset or suchlike. Tweaking this plus or minus should bring the sparklies down.

If you have a mix of black and white then this is purely low signal caused by one (or more) of the problems already mentioned.

PaulR

greg-h

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1 meter dish
60 cm dish-sky
applo analouge reciver
grundig digital reciver
thinking of buying technomate 5000ci or
manathan plaza 300-ir
My Location
cork county ireland
my reciver has 4 diffrent lnb settings does it matter which one it is on 9-750mhz 11-500 12 750 etc. plus his reciver may have an afc in the lnb setings which automataicly finds the best signal

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
PaulR said:
When you come down to basics sparklies are down to (lack of) signal strength.

Correctly speaking, its a low signal to noise ratio. There may be adequate power of the signal required, but if it is swamped by noise from any source (adjacent satellite, space/atmospheric/ground/thermal noise, terrestrial or cable intrusion, or internal LNB/tuner components) then the final picture/sound/data is going to suffer.

T_G

The Consumate Dreamer
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1 GigaBlue Quad plus, 1 Dreambox 5620, MOTECK SG2100A DISEqC Motor, 120 cm noname offset dish, Humax 95 cm offset dish and a few UK digiboxes.
My Location
Somewhere where the Sauer is Kraut and the Wurst is Brat
Just a pointer: If your sat is pointing to the east then your LNB needs to be turned counter clockwise if you are looking from the dish towards the LNB. If you are pointing at a west sat, then the lnb needs to be turned clockwise. (I hope this is right, because it wored for me...)