Why does it sometimes say no signal even when there is?

ramblingbob

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
freesat
pace box
My Location
Western Norway
Hi, I hope somebody can help me here, if I'm posting in the wrong place maybe somebody can move it for me, thanks.

I have a Pace Sky box (430n?) that I use here in Norway with a one metre dish. I always have a hundred percent signal strength even in bad weather (doesn't miss a thing even in gale force winds, heavy snow etc).

Yet recently the picture will suddenly break up and I'll get the "no signal" message. When I check the signal, it's still on full, but the signal quality has dropped to nothing, but immediately hops straight up to its usual 90-95%. Then I hit back up and the picture is back, but after a moment it goes again.

The problem happens a couple of times a night now and lasts for 5-6 minutes. Does anyone have any idea what the reason might be?

Thanks for any help.

Hughes

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Humax Foxsat HDR, Samsung Sky+ HD, Skybox, Fransat HD box, Fransat SD box
Several dishes up to 150cm, receiving 28E 26E 19E 13E 9E 5W
My Location
Lugo, Galicia, Spain
Could your LNB be on its way out?

ramblingbob

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
freesat
pace box
My Location
Western Norway
Hope not, I bought it a year ago and it was the best they had.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
In extremes of temperature lnb's need replacing regularly. However it might just be some local interference, or a bird perching on the arm of the dish for a moment, or even a spider moving around inside the lnb cover!

Unfortunately this sort of trouble shooting is a matter of trial and error.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Or of course it could also be the digibox on the way out, signal loss is one of the symptoms of power supply or tuner failure, whether it be on all channels, or a few seemingly unrelated channels.

sonnetpete

Grumpy Old Retired Moderator and quiz inquisitor..
Reaction score
Website
wordpress.com
My Satellite Setup
Laminas 1.2M fibre dish with an IBU, on a Clarke Tech USALS motor, covering 57E - 24.5W to an Octagon SX88. Displayed on a 20" Dyon LED TV.

Seperate 80 cm dish on 28E with a Humax Freesat for SWMBO.
Free Sat V8 meter. Sony Bravia 46" LCD, Sony BluRay and Home Cinema.
My Location
Normandy, France
It does sound very similar to the symptoms on my $ly digibox last year. Ch5 was disappearing and the only way I could get it back was to go into the set up menu then back again. It got worse and affected more frequencies so I ditched it and got a Freesat box. The $ly box was over seven years old so I guess it had reached the end of it's life.

ramblingbob

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
freesat
pace box
My Location
Western Norway
Okay, the most likely thing if it isn't weather seems to be the box then? When I bought it 3 or 4 years ago, The Pace DS430N or older 2600 seemed to be the things I saw recommended most. What should I be looking for now?
Is there any good reason to get a freesat one instead of a sky one?

sonnetpete

Reaction score
Website
wordpress.com
My Satellite Setup
Laminas 1.2M fibre dish with an IBU, on a Clarke Tech USALS motor, covering 57E - 24.5W to an Octagon SX88. Displayed on a 20" Dyon LED TV.

My Location
Normandy, France
For me it was a no brainer, as I wanted an HD box with 7 day EPG, I had no $ly subs and didn't want to go through having a generic $ly box again. The Humax Freesat stb gives good performance and is relatively easy to use. However, if you want to stick to a $ly stb as maybe you have a sub, I'm sure someone else can recommend one.

ramblingbob

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
freesat
pace box
My Location
Western Norway
No, no subscription and no intentions of getting one. Whats a 7 day EPG?

I've looked around since my last post and it seems there's no benefit at all in going with an old Sky box over freesat, unless someone here can argue different. Looks like I'll be trying to pick up a Humax then, it seems they can be picked up for around 50 quid on ebay.

Any other advice is still greatly appreciated though!

iceman

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
3.0m Motorised Channel Master + 4 fixed dish Amstrad_DRX890C
DM7020s,DM800se
UNOHM EP314 PROMAX TV Explorer
My Location
Kyrenia - NORTH CYPRUS
could be the box PSU playing up and failing to deliver the correct voltage to the LNB.

sonnetpete

Reaction score
Website
wordpress.com
My Satellite Setup

My Location
Normandy, France
ramblingbob said:
No, no subscription and no intentions of getting one. Whats a 7 day EPG?

EPG = Electronic Programme Guide. Surely you had this on the $ly box? It's a means of planning ahead and scheduling programmes. There are other Freesat boxes around, both in SD and HD. The Humax was merely my choice and I had no reviews or recommendations to help. All I can say is that it performs well, though it only really gets used when my stepdaughter comes to stay (which isn't that often!).

ramblingbob

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
freesat
pace box
My Location
Western Norway
iceman said:
could be the box PSU playing up and failing to deliver the correct voltage to the LNB.
What's the PSU and does it mean getting a new box?

sonnetpete said:
EPG = Electronic Programme Guide. Surely you had this on the $ly box? It's a means of planning ahead and scheduling programmes. There are other Freesat boxes around, both in SD and HD. The Humax was merely my choice and I had no reviews or recommendations to help. All I can say is that it performs well, though it only really gets used when my stepdaughter comes to stay (which isn't that often!).

Ah, ok, yes just never heard that phrase before.
I actually saw Humax suggested somewhere else too, but all I need to know is what's good with a fringe signal out here in Norway.
Thanks for all the help so far.

iceman

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
3.0m Motorised Channel Master + 4 fixed dish Amstrad_DRX890C
DM7020s,DM800se
UNOHM EP314 PROMAX TV Explorer
My Location
Kyrenia - NORTH CYPRUS
ramblingbob said:

PSU = Power Supply Unit......and they can be repaired

sonnetpete

Reaction score
Website
wordpress.com
My Satellite Setup

My Location
Normandy, France
ramblingbob said:

PSU = Power Supply Unit and yes, more often than not it will entail the purchase of a new box. Unless, you are handy with a soldering iron and have a pretty good grounding in electronics. (You can purchase 'kits' to repair the power supply)

Not sure how good the Humax is on fringe reception, but it's tuner seems a little more sensitive than my Vantage receiver. It is marginal though.

Hughes

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Humax Foxsat HDR, Samsung Sky+ HD, Skybox, Fransat HD box, Fransat SD box
Several dishes up to 150cm, receiving 28E 26E 19E 13E 9E 5W
My Location
Lugo, Galicia, Spain
Had a "No signal" incident last night. Prime suspect was the LNB, but when I unscrewed the f connector I found that the centre core of the coax had sheared off inside the LNB. I was able to pull the bit out with my fingers,shorten the cable a few cms as it was looking a little lack-lustre, reconnect, and problem solved. Years of LNB tweaking and skew adjustment has taken its toll both on me and my system!

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
That's a decent result!

howard1

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
appliance and satellite engineer
My Location
south ayrshire
ramblingbob said:
Hi, I hope somebody can help me here, if I'm posting in the wrong place maybe somebody can move it for me, thanks.

I have a Pace Sky box (430n?) that I use here in Norway with a one metre dish. I always have a hundred percent signal strength even in bad weather (doesn't miss a thing even in gale force winds, heavy snow etc).

Yet recently the picture will suddenly break up and I'll get the "no signal" message. When I check the signal, it's still on full, but the signal quality has dropped to nothing, but immediately hops straight up to its usual 90-95%. Then I hit back up and the picture is back, but after a moment it goes again.

The problem happens a couple of times a night now and lasts for 5-6 minutes. Does anyone have any idea what the reason might be?

Thanks for any help.
I have had three jobs with the same problem & replaced the cable in all cases which cured them. If not this, then replace lnb & try spare digibox. Good luck!

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
howard1 said:
I have had three jobs with the same problem & replaced the cable in all cases which cured them. If not this, then replace lnb & try spare digibox. Good luck!

Problem solved without need of cable replacement. Your callout charge might even be questioned if the customer(s) ever found out.

T1154

T1154
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Motorised dish
Fixed dishes forAstra2 Atlantic bird 3 and astra 1
Sky box, Humax Viaccess, Humax HD freesat,strong 6410
My Location
S W France [47]
Channel Hopper said:
Problem solved without need of cable replacement. Your callout charge might even be questioned if the customer(s) ever found out.

Its astonishing how poor the connection can get before the signal is permanently lost .In this context I have had a number of cases where the copper connector has been almost completely corroded,and[wait a minute]always where the f plug has been carefully taped up. In fact I have stopped doing this because I think that the moisture ingress causing corrosion may be the result of condensation under the tape.Better to let it dry out naturally perhaps
T1154
'Hobby' prevents the onset of 'Mental Illness'

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
T1154 said:
Its astonishing how poor the connection can get before the signal is permanently lost .In this context I have had a number of cases where the copper connector has been almost completely corroded,and[wait a minute]always where the f plug has been carefully taped up. In fact I have stopped doing this because I think that the moisture ingress causing corrosion may be the result of condensation under the tape.

Some of the earlier attempts at universal LNBs were without a solid block between the electronics and the outer part of the thread that the connector fits to. After a few seasons the internal moisture leaks out down to the copper of the inner conductor.
I believe ALPs LNBs were the ones I replaced most of a few years back.