why,the irish sky hd subsribtion cost more then in uk?

Turok

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1,25 Fibostop
Jäger Smr 1224 & Smo 36 Dual Axsis Motor
Dynasat F1
Monterey 140
Drembox 800
sky Pace HD Box
Tagra 2,20 M Fullsize Dish
Echostar 2,40m Mesh for cband!
My Location
Austria
Hello!
does anyone know the reason,why,the same irish sky hd package coasts around 5.50 pounds more, each month then in uk,is there any special reason for this higher price?
or are the a so big diffrent in the tax,of both countrys?

compufunk

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM 600-S, VU+ Duo,
Moteck SG2100, Fracarro Penta 85 dish, LG LH3000 42" TV + some computers
My Location
NW, Ireland
Your not the 1st person to have asked this question Turok. The fact is that everything is more expensive in Ireland than in the UK. Why? because they get away with it.

Because of higher living/operating costs in Ireland, I can see why certain services/products would be more expensive. But not in this case.

VAT is around 4% higher here, so there's not that much difference in tax rates.

Turok

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1,25 Fibostop
Dynasat F1
Monterey 140
Drembox 800
sky Pace HD Box
My Location
Austria
Okay,thanks for your reply,i read on the net,that in uk,the tax was lowered from 17.5 to only 15% maybe thats the reason,or the exchange rate,from the pound makes it "posible"!
sky germany makes no diffrence,here in austria the same prices,also on ppv then in germany!

A nonymous

Reaction score
Its because us British are stupid enough to let our corrupt Government and other companies get away with it 'O'-red

We don't stand up for ourselves like the rest of europe, we just roll over and take it. If it happened in France with the likes of Canal they would find their offices on fire before the end of the day :D

Tsiklon

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Various
My Location
Europe
The VAT rate charged on Sky subscriptions to Ireland is the UK rate and all VAT receipts collected go to the UK exchequer.

The reason Sky subscriptions are dearer is because Sky are greedy b******s and people keep paying them.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
But also that there are more channels in the Sky Ireland package, as you also have to pay for your home terrestrial channels, ours are free to air or free to view. some of that will go to your home broadcasters.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
rolfw said:
But also that there are more channels in the Sky Ireland package, as you also have to pay for your home terrestrial channels, ours are free to air or free to view. some of that will go to your home broadcasters.

And that is a whole different can of worms :D

Turok

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1,25 Fibostop
Dynasat F1
Monterey 140
Drembox 800
sky Pace HD Box
My Location
Austria
thanks for all the details!
how about the ppv,are the irish ones,also more expensice to order?
in television the say also.that irland,has one of the higest inflation,in the last years in europe!
how was it in the past?
before the economy crash was coming?

Tsiklon

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Various
My Location
Europe
Several of the UK channels are not on the Sky Irish EPG, and though they can be added by other channels, they can't be recorded on Sky+. So no ITV2/3/4, BBC 3/4, Five, Fiver, Five USA etc.

While the Irish terrestrials are on the Sky EPG, none of the subscription revenues go to RTE. The original deal between RTE and Sky was that Sky covers the cost of transmission on 2D along with free EPG slots.

This might look like a free ride for RTE, but the arrangement is much more beneficial to Sky. It means they can market their product as having the Irish channels and means they can fend off competition from the UPC cable alternative. In the past year, Sky subscriptions have overtaken UPC - 600,000 vs 550,000 out of a population of 4 million.

compufunk

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM 600-S, VU+ Duo,
Moteck SG2100, Fracarro Penta 85 dish, LG LH3000 42" TV + some computers
My Location
NW, Ireland
rolfw said:
Thats true but, anybody who owns a TV in Ireland has already paid for those channels through their licence fees.

I dont see why should News Corp be allowed to force people to pay twice for the same thing? Neither can I see them handing any money back to the state broadcaster, maybe im being too cynical.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Well I guess that if RTE aren't paying, then someone has to. Not saying it's right, just that it may be the reason.:)

Tsiklon

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Various
My Location
Europe
Rolfw, I agree on the face of it that would seem right. But when you take into account the cost of transmission to Sky versus the amount they take in per subscription, coupled with the fact that the availability of the Irish channels has driven up subscription numbers sharply, then I reckon that Sky are simply profiteering.

Turok

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1,25 Fibostop
Dynasat F1
Monterey 140
Drembox 800
sky Pace HD Box
My Location
Austria
Sky has maybe now so many outstanding debits after the bought premiere,that the winning zone,is at the moment far away!
the also try to bid out ard/zdf ,for the rights,of the soccer games in africa,maybe the olympic summer games also zdf bid 650 mio €,and sky looking forward to bid one millard € for the rights!
the last year make so many deficit,that the income was not enough,to pay all the coasts!

in other words,it happen often,in diffrent bisness areas,that the same companys,using small countrys like test areas of bying public people,,the charge more for the same products,and in another country,the sell the same product,with lower dumping prices,to get more customors,in a short period of time!
statistics,mostly,always been measured,how many paying people the have!
when the have more,the can charge more for advertising,then in a country,where not so many people live!

here in austria,in another bisness area is nearly the same situation,in the mobile phone market,our small country has 6 mobilphone operators,and with 20€ in one month,we have 1000 minutes calles,to all landlines in europe and mobile phones
and this since around 5 years,older agrements,that i have included 1000 Minute Each Network,i can call 4000 Minute one month,for a fixed price,in other countrys,the same companys,charge a lot more!
but this system,"works"only so long,until the market is saturated!

then the situation will change,and,when the bisness managers and costoptimeizer,in the adverting world have enough money,the price will go up,like here happens,one month ago,the old agreements,was channeled forrever,now we have 1000 minutes,to all network,and not 4000 like in the old mobilephone agreement!

this only a symbolical accord,to describe the situation!

in the past,in usa happens the same, in the past with the enron power company,,in the beginning was many companys,price where very low,then,the biggest one bought the smalest,and so on,with the result,that the prices go up,and now only 2 operaters,dicate the prices,the rest are gone!
i see this coming developing,with a very bad feeling!

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Does anyone know how much Sky pay for the Irish broadcast license?

Tsiklon

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Various
My Location
Europe
Sky broadcast unregulated into ROI and don't need an Irish broadcast licence.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
That's very generous of the Irish Government.

Tsiklon

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Various
My Location
Europe
Nothing the Irish government can do about it. It's EU legislation. The rules say the broadcaster is regulated based on they country they operate/uplink from, not where they broadcast to.

It's similar to EU directives that govern the VAT rates on "electronically supplied services and radio and TV broadcasting services" and where the VAT revenue goes to.