Advice Needed Will this dish and lnb help to get astra 2?

Txops

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
100cm Motorised dish
My Location
Near Santander (39738)
Greetings everyone,
My brother has just moved to a new building and he's found this beauty on the roof. There's only another neighbour in the house so he can fiddle with the dish.
There's another knackered dish lying on the tiles. But Will this Ikusi Dish help to get Astra 2.
According to him it's huge in size but I'm not familiar with that type of lnbs. What kind is it and can I fit a universal LNB instead?
Is it easy to adjust to 28.5 manually or will I need some expert tools to do it?
Any advice would be appreciated.

Attachments

• image1.JPG
    image1.JPG
    67.6 KB · Views: 126

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Well its a prime focus dish, probably with a C120 lnb/feedhorn on it.

You can try a universal on it, but you may find that you get very poor results.

Will you get Astra 2 - well you wont have many problems with the European beams!The UK beams? depends on its size & how well its set up.

skomedal

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
This and that
My Location
thule
If the chimney stack blocks are standard 25 cm high then by comparison the dish is ~100 cm prime focus.

Regards

A

archive10

That's a recieve/transmit dish.

It's unlikely to have been installed for TV reception, more likely some data uplink from a bsuiness operating in the house. (Or maybe even simply satellite broadband, but I'm not familiar with the spread of this in Spain).

You will probably need to modify this a bit - keep the feedhorn, but put a so-called Ku-band flange LNB on it (if the flange mechanics are easy to accomodate with "normal" C120 LNBs, which are the most common Ku-band LNBs).

You may also need to re-align it, as it most likely is not pointing at 28.2E.

It all depends. Close-up of the LNB (and any labels) will help.
Best if you can ask the landlord or previous owner about what the dish was installed and used for.

A

archive10

Are you sure it's not just an old setup with separate LNBs for horizontal and vertical?
Blimey, I think you're right! My mistake.
The LNBs looks a bit on the small side to give any decent power output.

I that case, it probably *is* installed for tv reception, but some time ago before offset-dishes with universal LNBs were in league.
It *may* even be pointing at 28.2e (but I would not bet on it).

Even more so, close-up pics, possibly combined with any history available would be very helpful...

timo_w2s

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.timo.me.uk
My Satellite Setup
See Signature
My Location
Maidenhead, UK & Helsinki, Finland
Assuming it is, it'll be single band, so probably for a multi output setup or the LNBs are fed into a V/H switch from the analogue days would be my guess. Could be for 19.2E before digital which was first in the high band.

Txops

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
100cm Motorised dish
My Location
Near Santander (39738)
Thank you all for your replies.
I haven't had the chance to inspect it yet but I think Timo's theory makes sense.
It looks like a very old dish that was replaced by another offset dish that broke from the pole and still can be found lying on the roof tiles. Comparing both it looks quite large, probably over 1 meter. That's why I was thinking about reusing it. But I think it might be tricky to adapt a universal lnb to that arm.
Being in Spain my bet is that's pointing to 19.2.
I think the safest bet would be to invest in another 80cm offset and reuse the pole on the side of the chimney.
I'll keep you posted when I have the chance to inspect it.

timo_w2s

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.timo.me.uk
My Satellite Setup
See Signature
My Location
Maidenhead, UK & Helsinki, Finland
You might be able to just fit a modern C120 type LNB to that dish without too much hassle after removing the two old LNBs and the OMT splitter. On the other hand the screws holding the LNBs on may be all rusty and jammed up...

The Invacom QDF-031 Quad is my favourite, but it's best suited for dishes over 1.5m.

MarkW

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.2 Galaxy,IBU single,Technomate 5402M3
My Location
Jesi,Italy
Thank you all for your replies.
I haven't had the chance to inspect it yet but I think Timo's theory makes sense.
It looks like a very old dish that was replaced by another offset dish that broke from the pole and still can be found lying on the roof tiles. Comparing both it looks quite large, probably over 1 meter. That's why I was thinking about reusing it. But I think it might be tricky to adapt a universal lnb to that arm.
Being in Spain my bet is that's pointing to 19.2.
I think the safest bet would be to invest in another 80cm offset and reuse the pole on the side of the chimney.
I'll keep you posted when I have the chance to inspect it.
If you're still looking to get Astra 2,you won't get the free to air UK channels with an 80cm or a 1m.You'll need something much bigger in Santander.Looking at Analoguesat's coverage map suggests over 1.5m(but not on the side of a chimney,I think): https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewe...28184,19.753418&mid=zKOFlOGdqoS8.kqYJyaBaegGU .Cheers

Txops

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
100cm Motorised dish
My Location
Near Santander (39738)
Thanks MarkW,
You're right. But I think I have to compromise on the size if I want to reuse the chimney post, and point towards Astra 1 or Hotbird.

BM300

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, 7020, 800HD
HD-USB
8 Dishes
My Location
UAE
You might be able to just fit a modern C120 type LNB to that dish without too much hassle after removing the two old LNBs and the OMT splitter. On the other hand the screws holding the LNBs on may be all rusty and jammed up...

The Invacom QDF-031 Quad is my favourite, but it's best suited for dishes over 1.5m.

After enlarging the image, it looks like 2 SMW LNBs on an OMT splitter.

images