Windows 10 data collection

Linux has still got a long way to go before its user friendly enough to be usable "out of the box" for the average user for anything apart from fairly simple stuff.

Its fine for a laptop where you are just going to be browsing, maybe want to skype the parents when you are on holiday ....

BUT

when you do an install and it wont run your twin monitor graphics setup without crashing immediately its not good enough. Thats been working on windows for well over 10 years. (Major distros with assorted desktop environments all fall over in exactly the same way.... Its not some cheap graphics card either - its a decent brand.)
 
Mac OS X on the other hand works well and is extremely user friendly. Idiot proof and is Unix underneath its posh exterior. And you don't need to spend thousands on Mac hardware - it will run on a normal PC on specific components. Plenty of Hackintosh sites around with guides. And once you get it going, it's very stable.

Or bite the bullet and get the real thing. Best computer I've ever had and I've had many.

I just wish I didn't hate iPhones so much....
 
All bases covered here.

Got a Linux Mint Laptop, Lubuntu Netbook, Windows 10 two-in-one and an Android Tablet.

And yet ......

Bought a 64GB microSD card recently, pre-formatted in ExFAT

Works out of the box with Win 10 and also on the Linux machines once I'd installed a small patch.

But no joy on Android.

Apparently ExFAT is Licensed by Microsoft, so inevitably has constraints over how it can be used.

Workaround is to reformat in FAT 32, but can't be bothered.
 
Ive found an interesting Linux distro today - q4os - looks & runs very windows xp-ish

Q4OS - desktop operating system

And its footprint is tiny so it should run like the blazes even on low end kit

I shall run it on a vm on my win7 to see how it behaves.
 
Interesting.

My Lubuntu told me it wanted to update to Ubuntu 15.xy yesterday. Took three hours.

It then told me it wanted to update to Ubuntu 16.fg. Another three hours :rolleyes:
 
Experiments on hold until it eventually finishes d/l'ing the ruddy 32 bit version - 64 doesnt work on the version of VM Ive got installed....

And d/l'ing takes AGES on a 2 meg connection.
 
Just leave it running with the updates switched on - there is an issue with the win7 updates. It'll start after a few days. I had exactly the same problem when I moved my xp machine over to win7

A cynic might say its another MS way of forcing people to upgrade.......

I just used an offline updater, system seems to be updating now. I personally think tha MS are dicking about as i have never had this issue before.
 
MS are almost certainly dicking about as exactly the same thing happened to there xp updates when win7 was taking off! And its far too widespread to be accidental.

As I see it its just another way to force people to downgrade to win10.
 
I like Windows 10 .........
 
You can use the program found on this website to download all the updates available for XP, Vista, 7 & 8.

Code:
http://download.wsusoffline.net/

Use version 9.1 for XP :D

I have Infracted Lazarus for posting offensive material :-lmao
 
Free upgrade of 10 ends on 29th of July. Maybe the sneaky downloads on 7 and 8 will end as well?
 
A friend brought his rather old win7 laptop around for fettling the other day. Had no screen output at all so connected an external screen and pressed Fn F5 until an output was displayed. There were numerous damaged files and broken links etc and as soon as a volume repair was completed and it rebooted from the mess 6 months worth of updates for numerous software started downloading, unfortunately that included Win10. The bizarre thing is that whilst the post screen on the laptop still continues to be blank once win 10 gets involved the LCD laptop screen springs into life and begins working. I am still scratching my head on this one, something they no doubt will be doing when they get back their now win 10 laptop.
 
"Fettling"?

Have you been on the Black Pudding again?
 
Interesting.

My Lubuntu told me it wanted to update to Ubuntu 15.xy yesterday. Took three hours.

It then told me it wanted to update to Ubuntu 16.fg. Another three hours :rolleyes:
Me too.16 keeps failing as my mobile broadband is running very slowly,always seems slow on Sundays perhaps because more people in my area are at home.
 
no screen output at all
I had an issue with a graphics driver in 7 that didn't turn on cfl bulb, I could read the screen by aiming a flashlight at it. If I configured the screensaver to turn it off in energy settings, hitting a key and waking it up would toggle the bulb on. Post worked though. I moved drivers back and forth, not sure exactly what I did, it started working by itself with the same driver as I started.

Your friend's laptop wasn't by any chance a Fujitsu Siemens or equipped with an Intel GPU?
 
Last edited:
Your friend's laptop wasn't by any chance a Fujitsu Siemens or equipped with an Intel GPU?

It is a Toshiba Satellite L450D, not really enough ram for win10 but can always roll it back I suppose, still has me puzzled this one, entered bios and switch from auto to lcd display and this swapped things around, no external monitor display until windows loading, still not able to get post displayed, really bizarre........
 
Back
Top