Windows 10 data collection

^^^ Yes, MS really want to give away their great free gift. If refused, or any of their tricks don't work, they'll gladly try breaking through the door repeatedly to deliver it, and coerce those ungrateful, ignorant disbelievers into understanding they must take it.

But let's be amiable with those poor mendicants at Microsoft, they simply need all the details of one's personal life to convert it into money. Install w10 and make them happy, rich and prosperous :O)
 
I have developed an inherent hate for anything Microsoft over the past couple of years. Windows 2012 server has been designed by an imbecile - I mean why does a server need 'tiles' if 99.9% of the time I am accessing it remotely and not via a touch screen (assuming that was their intention?!). Will be getting a shiny new iMac 5k once I save up a few more pennies (have been saving for months for it slowly but surely).
 
Cortana remains resolutely and defiantly unused on my new Windows 10 device.
 
And One Drive is also parked!
 
Probably - but does anyone in their right mind use Edge anyway?

No support for Extensions, apart from anything else.
 
As mentioned already ..
I created a blank win7 OS ...not my main one I hasten to add ...and forced the win10 upgrade ...to see what all the fuss was about ...
tried it for a day or so ..then replaced the original win7 OS ...and tweaked the reg ..to hopefully prevent MicroShyte ever mythering me again ..
I kept the modded /upgraded win 10 O/S on an isolated hard drive ...put away in my metal safe ...and gathering dust..
I hated it ..
Invasive pile o shyte it is ..and sod all ran ...
drivers missing or incompatible with various hardware elements ...
It was colourful ..and I can see how easily moths would be attracted to the bright lights ..
but Not for me ...
cest la vie..
My O/S ...my PC ...and I want to drive it ...not some distant autopilot.
rgds
VS
 
On a side note

Head of w10 mobile, choosing to use iphone lol+, then serving lame excuses.
Many funny comments in this topic:
"Microsoft needs to do something with him"
"Joe Belfiore should use Windows Phone while he's away to experience how awful it is at the moment"
Joe Belfiore uses an iPhone - Windows Central Forums
 
Win10 is changing to a "recommended" install rather than the previous "optional" so its going to affect a lot more people as I think recommended is the default.

Im seeing some bad stories that then roll back to the previous OS isnt working properly as well leaving people with bricked or semi bricked computers
 
Well, as a Windows hater of substantial pedigree, I have to confess I really like my new Win 10 two- in-one.
 
With the classic skin applied and no tiles getting in the way it works just fine, both looks and feels quite like XP et al
 
and they say skynet is just a made up story...
 
New report about w10 telemetry :eek:

8 hour test of fresh w10 installation ...
just to quickly summarize, that's 3967 connection attempts to 51 different Microsoft IPs
Windows 10 telemetry network traffic analysis, part 1: | technology

Have seen some of this myself on my w10 testing, fresh install, with tile-apps uninstalled \ set to offline, using Resource Monitor > Network, network activity & TCP connections immediately filling up with dozens of sites\ ip's right after starting the pc, with me doing nothing. Crazy.
 
Just got my windows 7 pc back up and running, finding that svchost is taking up about 1.2 gig of RAM, and I found that windows update is causing the problem, when I stop the service the RAM usage goes right down.
I wonder how this can be fixed.
In the past I normally mass install updates but ever since the windows 10 related stuff is coming through (dont want w10) I have stopped. I havnt done a mass update install for a while, so just wanted to get you guys' opinions on the situation.
 
svchost can be a real pain. I often fire up task manager to close down the resource hungry one that's top of the list. Sometimes I have close down a second one as well.

Dire warnings about closing down this from MS but I've only ever found positive results.
 
Here's a list of updates to avoid (it's MS' flood to crush any resistance :O)
Windows7/8 - Updates to hide to prevent Windows 10 Upgrade / Disable Telemetry | NotebookReview

Just done a fresh 8.1 today. About updates, my system:
Set updates to never check, then do manual check, then install only anything labeled 'security'. Restart.
Check again, accept any new 'security', and go trough all labeled important, checking with the 'avoid list'. 'Hide' all 10 related trash.
Forget the optional ftm , most (99%?) never needed, one may go trough them someday and see if anything applies.
Manually check for updates now and then (2nd tuesday each month?), accept 'security', and research the 'important' before accepting.

When system is set to manual update, don't forget to regularly update win defender (if used).

When the system is working ok with basic updates and most drivers, I save a disk image (macrium reflect), so in case a reinstall is needed I won't have to start from scratch (10 minutes instead of 1\2 day :O)
 
Back
Top