Windows 10 data collection

Just disable all windows/microsoft updates:D

Have various PCs running win 7/8 and not updated with these options for 18 months, no adverse observations detected:-doh

Regards

Ps manually update win def.
 
Just disable all windows/microsoft updates:D
Have various PCs running win 7/8 and not updated with these options for 18 months, no adverse observations detected

Agree to a large degree, but I'd do the OS security updates, I believe one can trust MS in that particular area.
 
A neighbour called round today; most upset that the unwanted Win10 update offer had used up 5GB of his monthly 20GB data allowance
 
Seems to work well - it identified correctly that win10 upgrade was enabled on my win8.1 laptop although as updates have been turned off it cant start downloading the rubbish onto the hdd.
 
Excellent worked on my desktop now for the laptop & notebook.
 
Thats the way to do it:-deadhorse

Re # 61

Regards
Im hoping this old laptop will be retired in the near future. as Ive been half promised a newer cast off. If it works out this one will go into the spares pile at work.
 
Something that I read in one of my magazines.
If you go into WIFI settings set your connection to '3G Metered ' W10 will not download updates over it.Don't know if it works over lan.
In fact not having W10 I do not know if it works at all.:)
 
Last edited:
If you go into WIFI settings set your connection to '3G Metered ' W10 will not update
That's for the poor souls who have already fallen prey to w10, with Microsoft happily munching away on peoples personal data :O) it will stop updates, sometimes very large (many GB's, complete os download), but it'll also stop any and all security updates, use the setting at one's own risk, it's only meant for postponing download until one gets to another (not metered) internet connection.

Am staying with 7\8, where one can choose what, why and when to update\download.

Some w10 insight > Why Windows 10 wants your feedback and diagnostics, and how to control them
 
Yes that is the problem as well as stopping the nasties it will also stop the security updates.
 
Another one that I read recently.One of the updates is forcing users of IE, christina,and other progs To use Bing.Athough if you use other browsers you can still use the search engine of your choice.
 
I think that it is only us Oldies or nearly Oldies.:)That worry about data mining.The yungans dont seem to care.The prermissions that you have to sign up to when you download an APP to your smartphone is enough to give me nightmares.you are signing your life away.:)
 
Ahem.


Us Oldies wouldn't dream of even owning a Smartphone in the first place ;)
 
What is a Smartphone ? :-rofl2
 
Have 3 functioning PCs 2 lappies win 7 and a desktop win 8.1 these came preloaded with OS, also have a reclaimed HDD from a crashed Asus lappy win 7, loaded linux mint version Cinnamon onto this last year but could not get my head around it, reloaded win 7 home edition and can now use this HDD in my win 7 lappies.

Use the desktop for streaming UK psb channels to 40" tv.

All have windows updates turned off the last 18 months and all perform perfectly, no conflicts at all.

Use driver booster ( free edition ) to keep drivers up to date.

Hope this makes sense:oops:

Regards
 
Last edited:
Keep your certificates updated. May not matter if you run Firefox as they use local ones but Chrome uses Windows'. I think. Don't quote me on this.
Code:
https://blogs.windows.com/msedgedev/2015/11/04/sha-1-deprecation-update/
 
Well i tried to go back to Windoze 7, all went well apart from the fact it wont update now :-lmao

Had to stick the Win 10 HDD back in.

What a crock of **** Windoze really is. I'd find it funny if it wasn't so annoying. I'm really tempted to get my copy of Vista out again. No stupid Windoze 10 updates there, and to be honest it used to run fine on my old Dell Optiplex. It should bat along quite nicely in my Dell Vostro :D
 
Well i tried to go back to Windoze 7, all went well apart from the fact it wont update now :-lmao

Had to stick the Win 10 HDD back in.

What a crock of **** Windoze really is. I'd find it funny if it wasn't so annoying. I'm really tempted to get my copy of Vista out again. No stupid Windoze 10 updates there, and to be honest it used to run fine on my old Dell Optiplex. It should bat along quite nicely in my Dell Vostro :D


Just leave it running with the updates switched on - there is an issue with the win7 updates. It'll start after a few days. I had exactly the same problem when I moved my xp machine over to win7

A cynic might say its another MS way of forcing people to upgrade.......
 
Back
Top