chris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TalkTalk TV
My Location
Worksop UK
For those looking to shave a few pounds off the price of the next Windows 7 Home Premium edition, there is apparently a loophole involving the upgrade version of Windows Vista Home Premium.

According to the terms and conditions at Amazon, buying an eligible copy of Windows Vista from Amazon.co.uk between 26th June and 15th October 2009 are eligible for a free copy of the equivalent version of Windows 7 when it is launched.

In addition, Amazon's FAQ section says that "At present in the EU, all versions of Windows 7 (Home Premium, Professional and Ultimate) are the full product.s This means that to install Windows 7, you do not need any previous version of Windows installed on your computer."

Now, the upgrade version of Windows Vista, Home Premium Edition with Service Pack 1 is one of them and happens to be the cheapest at £60.75, a saving of lightly more than £3 compared to Amazon's price for Windows 7 Home Premium.

Agharta from consumer forum Hotukdeals explains "The two licenses (Vista Upgrade and Windows 7) are not related and come with different keys. You can treat them as separate entities and are not obliged to use the new version on the PC that the old version was installed on. The difference here is that there is currently no upgrade version of Windows 7 for the UK so when you buy Vista Upgrade you get the full version of Windows 7 for free which is what makes this unusual."

Windows XP users could also gain from installing the Vista upgrade for the next few weeks or so to get used to Windows 7 user interface. Anyhow, users will have to install Microsoft's latest operating system using a clean machine.

Thanks to Realblender who pointed to this perfectly legal loophole from Hotukdeals.

Source:itproportal

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Of course the question as to why anyone happily running an XP machine would want to hobble their computer with M$'s new bloatware is still to be answered!

A nonymous

Reaction score
Or why you would want to upgrade your PCs memory to 2Gb just so it boots up and for it to be as fast as a Sinclair ZX81 :-lmao

And just incase some of you are too young to understand what a ZX81 is i have included pictures :D

Attachments

• ZX81-doorstop.jpg
    ZX81-doorstop.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 24
  • zx81.jpg
    zx81.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 24

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
Wish mine was as fast as a Sinclair...

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
nanochickin said:
Or why you would want to upgrade your PCs memory to 2Gb just so it boots up and for it to be as fast as a Sinclair ZX81 :-lmao

And just incase some of you are too young to understand what a ZX81 is i have included pictures :D

IIRC, just before those, we had Calculators where you had to employ Reverse Polish Notation! (Was it the "Cambridge"). Very strange. Like most Sinclair stuff.

Whilst working at Marconi in Chelmsford, I found myself at a Party attended by some of Clive's boys - There was a heck of a lot of sweet smelling fug in the house ....................

O/T, I'm sorry, but Happy Days !!

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
Available for £60.00 or not the words bargepole touch and would not spring to mind

portly

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Bush freesat hd box, iss 70cm dish,single passion lnb , goodmans GDB15HD freeview box
My Location
heathrow
Win 7 is much better than the previous version from ms, much more reliable, faster and safer not sure about the need for 2gb memory as mine never goes past 40%, 28% is the norm and i have 2gb ? Still confused about what amazon are doing, i know that if you brought a puter with vista on it you can upgrade for free , perhaps its the same thing, i wonder if my wifes vista sp1 can be upgraded:-bigsanta