chris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TalkTalk TV
My Location
Worksop UK
Can anyone recommend a good quality wired IR remote control extender. I'm installing a CCTV DVR in a server room with the monitor 50mtrs away and I need to control the equipment via the remote control. I've tried wireless i.e. powermid but its not proving very reliable over this distance.

Thanks

Chris76

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Vu+ duo with a 300gb hdd also dm500 and tecnomate 5200 with a 1m and 1.1m motorized dishes and minidish fixed to 28.2
My Location
Belfast
Just a thought chris but is there no web interface with the dvr..Also i would always use the televes ir remote extender that never misses a beat but im unsure with that distance.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
If a coax run is easy Chris, how about this? _http://www.satelliteandaerialsupplies.com/product/?s=triax-tri-link-kit-compact-eye-psu-modulator

I appreciate that you don't require the modulator, but the remote control side should work well.

chris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TalkTalk TV
My Location
Worksop UK
Chris76 said:
Just a thought chris but is there no web interface with the dvr..Also i would always use the televes ir remote extender that never misses a beat but im unsure with that distance.

We are using the web interface also but the customer wants the images on a screen so he can quickly view single images.

rolfw said:
If a coax run is easy Chris, how about this? _http://www.satelliteandaerialsupplies.com/product/?s=triax-tri-link-kit-compact-eye-psu-modulator

I appreciate that you don't require the modulator, but the remote control side should work well.

Thanks Rolf will take a look at that, Another option would be a wireless mouse connect to the DVR what sort of distance can you get a wireless mouse to operate at ?

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Not sure that any of this wireless kit is reliable over distance. How about a pair of these? _http://www.rcblogic.co.uk/p-750-cyp-infra-red-over-cat56-extender-set.aspx?gclid=COWajp3n-a0CFUVTfAodYgruqw

Chris_Lucid

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky+HD, Acer 4233WLMi laptop
My Location
Middlewich, Cheshire
Wireless using the general consumer bands around the 2.4GHz and 5.8GHz bands will be unreliable at anything much greater than 15-20m with clear line of sight. Free to air wireless bands aren't that powerful. Cable is your answer.

The tri-link system is okay. I installed one for a client this weekend just gone. It is controlling a DVD/VBCR combi via the IR emitter and also Sky HD box via RF2 as well. The only caveats are that the RF from the modulated SCART is a bit noisy and the control reaction is slightly sluggish. Other than that though, it's cheap and easy to install.