Wireless electricity supply anyone?

Saturlight

Reaction score
Website
www.yoootube.com
My Satellite Setup
Motorised dish, dvd players and recorders; a freeview box, broadband, VCRs, four TVs, mobiles, pcs, a mac, Ipod, digital cameras...the lot!
My Location
North Tyneside
I wonder when it will be possible to connect to your TVs, VCRs, DVD players, etc, without wires?

I said to my mum, probably in about 15-20 years. Am I far out? :eek:

Saturlight

Reaction score
Website
www.yoootube.com
My Satellite Setup
Motorised dish, dvd players and recorders; a freeview box, broadband, VCRs, four TVs, mobiles, pcs, a mac, Ipod, digital cameras...the lot!
My Location
North Tyneside
And don't say batteries! :D :D

HB13DISH

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Middle East - Israel
Saturlight said:
I wonder when it will be possible to connect to your TVs, VCRs, DVD players, etc, without wires?

I said to my mum, probably in about 15-20 years. Am I far out? :eek:

I asked Doctor Who and he told me that when that time comes, the gadgets will have different names :)

dig deep

Prince of Birthdays
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dream7020 and AZ Elite and a few DM800
My Location
Sweden
I am afraid that it never will work.

Not as long as we use electrical power

But, perhaps, some small portable nuke system ? Still not wireless

cdtronix

Supporting Advertiser
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.1m Triax With Inverto Black Ultra fixed on 4.8East. 60cm Dish Fixed on 28East both Diseqc onto Dreambox 800HD. Cdtronix 1.2m Motorised with Twin LNB using Technomate TM6800 HD. Seperate Sky+ HD & Icecrypt S1500C.
My Location
Essex
dig deep said:
I am afraid that it never will work.

Not as long as we use electrical power

But, perhaps, some small portable nuke system ? Still not wireless

Yep the technology is coming and its not that far off. saw a technolgy report on BBC news one saturday morning around 2 months ago, they have already invented wireless mobile phone chargers, it was a small docking station and you put your phone near it and it just starts charging with no wires between the docking station and the phone, they were reporting that they were also building a pilot house with all wireless electrcity throughout, dont ask me how that is supposed to work cause i still cant get my head around it, but it is out there and being worked on. dunno how safe it will be as well with all this radiation in the air. probably cause more cancer and other illnesses !!

just found this

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/6129460.stm

dig deep

Prince of Birthdays
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dream7020 and AZ Elite and a few DM800
My Location
Sweden
Yes it is working fine if U are close enough.

But it is far from running a Tellie :)

Saturlight

Reaction score
Website
www.yoootube.com
My Satellite Setup
My Location
North Tyneside
Computer says no so far. :confused ;)

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No satellite stuff for the moment (aside from a 43cm minidish that was on the house already), Samsung SyncMaster T27B550 Smart TV & Monitor, and a few computers...
My Location
Near Pontop Pike, Co. Durham
Induction, that's what it is... :D

Basically, if you take a transformer like what you use for a charger for your mobile, you have 2 windings around a ferrite (I think) core, 240v in and say 12v out, if you split the two so they can be seperated, then you get "wireless" electricity, you don't need electrical contact in order for the devices to be powered, therefore wireless electricity isn't that difficult... :)

OralB have already done it with their electric toothbrushes, keeping the base and the brush electrically seperate in order to prevent any splashes of water shorting the charger out... :)

Saturlight

Reaction score
Website
www.yoootube.com
My Satellite Setup
My Location
North Tyneside
M8, you know your stuff. ;)

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No satellite stuff for the moment (aside from a 43cm minidish that was on the house already), Samsung SyncMaster T27B550 Smart TV & Monitor, and a few computers...
My Location
Saturlight said:
M8, you know your stuff. ;)

I only worked it all out from that Toothbrush actually... :D

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
My OralB toothbrush is just like that, I bought it when they first cam out about ten even 12 years ago and was also facinated as to how it charged up. I did not need to take it apart as the Israeli airport security people did that for me in an effort to make sure it was nothing dubious. It has never been the same since.

Another example of this is to take a fluorescent tube 3 4 5 or 6 foot, does not matter, then walk under the High voltage grid cables that criss cross the landscape and watch the tube light up

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Topper said:
My OralB toothbrush is just like that, I bought it when they first cam out about ten even 12 years ago and was also facinated as to how it charged up. I did not need to take it apart as the Israeli airport security people did that for me in an effort to make sure it was nothing dubious. It has never been the same since.

Another example of this is to take a fluorescent tube 3 4 5 or 6 foot, does not matter, then walk under the High voltage grid cables that criss cross the landscape and watch the tube light up

Yep, oralB toothbrushes were amazing when they came out with that unique charger, but as for airport security taking it apart thinking it was something suspicious, what numpties!!! :-rofl2

As for Fluo tubes, I've never tried that, but someday I'll take a walk with a tube and watch it light up under the cables!!! :D

TJExcalibur

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Master Focus 90cm .Gigablue UHD Quad 4K on TM 2600 motor. *Tm 5402 HD M3, *Atemio Nemesis. *Not Used.
My Location
Southern England
Topper said:

:) Maybe we should all move to houses under power lines. Run all the electrical stuff for free. May even be able to get the missus charged up a bit to liven her up at bedtime.

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
TJExcalibur said:
:) Maybe we should all move to houses under power lines. Run all the electrical stuff for free. May even be able to get the missus charged up a bit to liven her up at bedtime.

If the missus isn't working properly, try finding something of hers beginning with G and ending with Spot.... ;)

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
Topper said:
Don't think that's induction, more likely to be the electrostatic field causing the tube to strike.

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
PaulR said:
Don't think that's induction, more likely to be the electrostatic field causing the tube to strike.

Not really bothered about the name or the physics involved, it lights up without wires. ;)

Yes the static may make it strike as with a standard starter but the static would dissipate and therefore it must be the EMR keeping it lit

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
Topper said:
Not really bothered about the name or the physics involved, it lights up without wires. ;)

Yes the static may make it strike as with a standard starter but the static would dissipate and therefore it must be the EMR keeping it lit

Not even radiation, but the potential drop from 500kV at 100' up, to zero potential at ground level. Across a 6 foot tube (and maybe a 6 foot carrier with virtually no resistance). About 60kV in my calculations.